Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Angel Dream (She’s The One OST reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Saul Pimon, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Shipping notice !!!!! :bdance:

Adam Schellin and faceinthecrowd like this.
  2. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

In celebration of Friday's [07/02/21] wide release of "Angel Dream (Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One)", Tom Petty/Heartbreakers have debuted a sizzle reel for the previously unreleased track "105 Degrees". Recorded with a complete ensemble of Heartbreakers in July of 1993, "105 Degrees" is one of four previously unissued selections that will feature on this forthcoming release.

"Angel Dream (Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One)" is a a remixed, remastered, and reimagined version of the album "Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One" originally released to market in 1996. This reimagined version of the album as supervised by longtime Tom Petty/Heartbreakers engineer and co-producer Ryan Ulyate recasts the album as as a Tom Petty/Heartbreakers album, rather than a film soundtrack and the songs for this reissue were chosen as a standalone body of work to complement the release of "Wildflowers And All The Rest".

TRACK LISTING

1. Angel Dream (No. 2)
    2. Grew Up Fast
    3. Change The Locks (Lucinda Williams cover)
    4. Zero From Outer Space
    5. A-s-s-h-o-l-e (Beck cover)
    6. One of Life’s Little Mysteries
    7. Walls (No. 3)
    8. Thirteen Days (JJ Cale cover)
    9. 105 Degrees
    10. Climb That Hill
    11. Supernatural Radio (extended version)
    12. French Disconnection

Linkage:
    Official Website: www.tompetty.com
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/tompetty?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author
    Facebook: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    jeremylr, enro99, ptijerm and 5 others like this.
  3. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

I think ya'll have already gotten the cream when it comes to "Long After Dark". There is more, but the three tracks that didn't make the cut are out there. "Keeping Me Alive" and "Turning Point" are on "Playback" and "Keep A Little Soul" should've been! Then again, it worked out for the best as it gave Ryan Ulyate an opportunity to supervise a brilliant mix of that song.

4. tfunk182

tfunk182 Forum Resident

@ryan de topanga My Playback box set doesn't have HDCD peak extension for the last disc Nobody's Children. The version of Nobody's Children on HDTracks, Quobuz etc... is just as loud as the cd. What are the chances of seeing that release with the full dynamic range that the encoded cd has?

cwitt1980 and hodgo like this.
  5. Rough&Rowdy

Rough&Rowdy Forum Resident

FJFP likes this.
  6. Rough&Rowdy

I'd be interested in picking up the vinyl with the remixed tracks. Can someone point me in the weight direction as to which version I'm looking for?

7. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I like that you like them. [Does that mean we stand a chance..? fingers crossed]

For the record, just in case anyone is taking requests, I'm more of a fan of studio tracks than live versions. I know the HBs are a great live unit, but I guess my brain just likes new music more than different versions of songs I already know... :righton:

8. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

Same, i would MUCH rather have unreleased songs or rarities than live concert stuff, that would be FAR less important !

9. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

enro99 and Rough&Rowdy like this.
  10. Rough&Rowdy

11. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

As great as the live stuff is, I am firmly in this camp as well. There's just so much good unheard studio stuff out there. From Mudcruch 1975 to Mudcrutch 2016 and everything in between!

12. 56strat

56strat Forum Resident

Plenty of unheard live stuff out there as well. Tons of rarely done Heartbreakers songs, and rarely done covers. I'm more of "live music" guy - what can you do on stage? The Heartbreakers were so great live. I would love a big box set of rare live cuts.

jeremylr and faceinthecrowd like this.
  13. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

The issue when it comes to the live recordings of Tom Petty/Heartbreakers is that the band didn't preserve an overabundance of their performances from the twentieth century comparatively speaking. Speaking in the most general terms, given that the parameters of this discussion involves material that has yet to be issued to market, I think it's fair to say that the 2009 collection, "The Live Anthology" gave Tom Petty/Heartbreakers fans the very best assemblage in terms of a survey of what is available to draw from in terms of the band's live performance career.

For instance, I was extremely pleased that the compilers were able to mine selections such as "My Life/Your World", "Nightwatchman" and "Louisiana Rain" given that these were among the selections that weren't played very often throughout the years. Suffice to say while there are many live interpretations of the singles deriving from live performances from the twentieth century and even more of the same from the last ten-fifteen years of Tom Petty/Heartbreakers' touring career, Mike Campbell was correct in his appraisal from a few years back that while there is a plethora of tape readily available emanating from latter day performances, many of those performances are very similar to the next in terms of content. So if you were to hypothetically construct a companion collection to "The Live Anthology" which deviates from that narrative you'd probably want to look towards some of the residencies that Tom Petty/Heartbreakers undertook throughout their live career of which there are concentrations of professional recordings that were indeed preserved.

rcb30, jeremylr, laf848 and 9 others like this.
  14. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

So, will pre-ordering the download from the TP website get me the hi-res files?

15. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

The first pressing of the box has the sixth disc in HDCD. Later pressings do not.

Find a box that was initially released and you’ll be good to go.

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  16. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I don't have anything to disagree with there.

But I have to add that I would still love an official release of a set from the Hammersmith Odeon 1980 performances [preferably including all the songs from the original broadcast and with dialog intact]. I know I've said it before, so I hope I am not sounding like a broken record, but I cannot stress enough how much I would love such a thing as an official TP&HB release!! [You never forget your first love, after all...]

Whatever clearances it takes, whatever rejiggering has to be done to PUTP, it ain't nothing to me... I would just love to have that full 1980 performance set out there! :agree:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    jeremylr likes this.
  17. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I still have never been able to figure out how to decode that box on a Mac. I'm ignorant of how HDCD works.

I do hope with the arrival of the Wildflowers box, American Treasure, and the new Angel Dream, they go back and give us some of the Playback stuff with audiophiles in mind.

jumpinjulian likes this.
  18. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I bought my copy in 2004 and it was HDCD encoded. YMMV

19. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

105 Degrees is a great song. Hard to believe it never made an album.

56strat likes this.
  20. ryan de topanga

ryan de topanga Forum Resident

FYI, My second "Behind The Glass" show on Sirius XM's Tom Petty Radio debuts this Friday at 3:00pm EDT (7:00 pm UTC). I'll talk about the making and "reimagining" of Angel Dream. I'll play some selected cuts from the album as well 6 unique tracks...

21. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Yes! And… “complete 81… complete 81… complete 81…” (I am a broken record too)….

22. Lucas Ransom

Lucas Ransom Well-Known Member

McCool, now that a studio version of "Thirteen Days" has been released, I'm looking forward to your double album sequencing of "Wildflowers."

A screenshot of the 25 songs considered for inclusion on the double album L I N K

I see that "Harry Green" is not on the list. That's fine by me; I dislike it musically. "Somewhere Under Heaven" is one of my favorite Tom Petty songs. It amazes me that it wouldn't have been on the double album.

You recently wrote about recordings of Tom Petty concerts. I read that Tom liked playing tapes to his friends of shows the Heartbreakers did backing up Dylan. Many fans would like to see some of that officially released as a volume of Dylan's "Bootleg Series." I think there were four 1986 shows where the Grateful Dead, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, and Bob Dylan were on the same bill. I'd pay hundreds of dollars for big box sets that documented those concerts in their entirely -- warts and all. It would probably be too complicated to release because of the different record labels involved, but I am often tormented by dreams of the impossible.

Anyway, thanks for your intelligent and articulate contributions to these threads.

23. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Fair enough. Really, I can't understand how none of those three songs managed to edge out at least "A Wasted Life" in the final tracklisting for LAD. I mean, no offense to any fans of that song, but all three of these beat the pants off it, IMHO.

On that note, I recently listened to LAD, and it's better than I remembered. Certainly not on par with Damn the Torpedoes or even the S/T debut or Hard Promises. But probably right up there with any of the rest.

At least up through track 8. And then the last two tracks drag the momentum to a grinding halt.

But if two out of three of previously unreleased tracks from those sessions had replaced "Between Two Worlds" and "A Wasted Life," I think this could be up there with Hard Promises, if not quite DTT-level. YMMV.

jeremylr likes this.
  24. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I really like it too, but I’m thinking maybe the fact that none of the other members were on it - with Mike playing absolutely everything - may’ve had something to do with it.

jeremylr and FJFP like this.
  25. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Anyone know if this track sequence is identical to the other pic. that emerged some months back?
    Anyone want to venture a guess at what they think the first song of CD2 would’ve been?
    My guess would be “Honey Bee”.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021