Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Angel Dream (She’s The One OST reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Saul Pimon, Apr 7, 2021.

1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

A good quality vacuum cleaner can bought for under £400 GBP, that is what I use to clean records. Providing you do some research beforehand it's relatively easy to find cleaning solution that does no harm to your records.

Regarding the post by i333i, I agree it wasn't well put or thought out but instead of arguing and being dismissive you could have reported it.

Western Movie likes this.
  2. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Because it's a different performance.

They rerecorded that track for STO. The others are the same performance/recording.

[As to why the Wildflowers package includes both Climb That Hill and Climb That Hill Blues...? Well, you'll just have to ask Tom Petty... ;) ]

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hey, butting in to say that I never clean new records.

I never clean old records unless they really, really, really need it. Over and out.

4. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I strongly support this statement, for the benefit of music addicts everywhere.

5. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Correct. The version of "Climb That Hill" on All The Rest was recorded in November of 1993, and includes Steve Ferrone on drums and Howie Epstein on backing vocals. The version of "Climb That Hill" on Angel Dream was recorded in 1996, or possibly 1995 and features Curt Bisquera on drums and Lindsey Buckingham (ain't that ironic?) on backing vocals.

"Climb That Hill Blues" was a home recording, and I actually believed it was a demo until a dedicated "Climb That Hill" demo was played by @ryan de topanga on his SiriusXM series "Behind The Glass". @McCool said somewhere in this thread that Tom had tried to record "Climb That Hill Blues" with the band, but @ryan de topanga is the authority on whether or not the November 1993 performance is the only variation of "Climb That Hill" recorded with the full band for Wildflowers.

And, if anyone wants to know, I agree with Tom: the version of "Climb That Hill" recorded for Wildflowers is superior to the STO version, and it's a shame they never performed the song live...or did they?:

Played at the Fillmore, and features Ferrone drums and Howie on backing vocals, just like the first pass. And what do you know? It sounds quite similar to the first pass than the version that came out on STO. I would be happy as a clam if this showed up on the eventual Fillmore set, naturally in the stunning quality that @ryan de topanga delivers!

Billy_Sunday, Ere, Bonddm and 7 others like this.
  6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Clean 10-15 brand new records and see what’s at the bottom afterward. There will be some fine debris and a thin layer of “sludge” - which is readily visible if you clean the bottom with a white towel or cloth).

A mistake? How? At worst, it would be unnecessary. But a mistake? Nonsense.

You can run a car without ever changing the oil, but the engine won’t run as efficiently and you run of the risk gradually damaging it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    Western Movie and I333I like this.
  7. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

What do you use to remove the cleaning agent?

8. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I see your edit now.
    Yeah, I think it's a mistake.
    Unless you have powerful suction to remove what you've applied--if not, on a mint record it's a waste and adds a layer noise.

I'd say your analogy, to use your verbiage, is "nonsense".

9. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Yes, this is true. It’s a silly thing to argue about when it only helps the record and the cartridge and it takes 3 minutes out of your day.

10. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

The gunk, chunks and plastic bits at the bottom of my SpinClean after I clean a brand new record would also like to butt in, if they may.

jumpinjulian and Western Movie like this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

What records are we talking about exactly?

12. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Personally, I’ve seen many new records come with leftover pieces of vinyl and even powdery substances. This conversation started when someone found fingerprints on his brand new copy of Angel Dream. I made the mistake of cleaning records with hard water once and, for that reason, clean every used album I buy because the residue collected on the needle and made playback unbearable. I don’t think that every piece of vinyl used or new needs cleaning, but I just don’t see the downside.

13. Steve Hoffman

There is a downside and it's a killer for me. I've never, ever played a record that has been cleaned without causing additional noise. Means it always needs to be cleaned again before playing. I've tried every type of cleaner out there, machine, hand done, makes no difference. Clean a record, come back to it in 6 months, play it dry and it sounds like double the noise it had. Clean it again and it's fine, until the next time.

I'm just going to play my records the way I have since I was a kid.

Billy_Sunday, laf848, KAJ1971 and 3 others like this.
  14. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I clean and dry them immediately, run them with a Hunt brush and they play perfectly. Strange that I’ve never had the noise issue.

15. Steve Hoffman

You wouldn't if you clean them every time. Try and store one away for a few months, then try it dry. Listen carefully to the lead in or lead out groove..

I don't care if people clean their records, means nothing to me, but none of my rare stuff will ever be cleaned. Trick is, finding them clean to begin with..

16. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I definitely don’t clean them upon each listen.
    And I do know what you mean about a noisy lead in or lead out and I think it’s about drying it completely because water collects in those areas and hardens. I sometimes hear noise in the lead in but the needle cleans everything by the next listen. For me, at least.

hodgo likes this.
  17. GrahamBW

GrahamBW Senior Member

Can we move the record cleaning topic to a record cleaning thread?

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I'll see your verbiage and add an adjective. This is utter nonsense.

19. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Please refer to the earlier staff comment below and move on for the sake of the thread:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  20. Mok

Mok Has Potential

Based on some people's experiences, I think it is possible that some folks might not understand how to clean records well or what techniques are good. Someone who thinks a properly cleaned record exhibits more noise than one that has not been cleaned at all may have had experiences where they were listening to an improperly cleaned record. A properly cleaned record will exhibit lower surface noise and higher fidelity than the same record not having been cleaned, even if new. In addition, once the record is cleaned, if it is properly maintained and stored, it doesn't need to be cleaned again and will maintain the low noise and superior sonic benefits of the original cleaning.

We have moved well beyond the era of Discwasher and the Emitex cloth. Record cleaning can be executed so much better now, and offers many benefits to the ears and the stylus.

I do not begrudge anyone who doesn't want to partake in the process - there is time and effort and expense required, and often any one of those three things can put one off the experience altogether. The rewards in the pursuit of higher fidelity reproduction often come at a cost to the listener, whether it's paying more for better pressings or better equipment, and there are many of us who are well satisfied not to go "overboard", whatever that may mean to each of us. I think all here would love to know that each of us enjoys what we hear no matter what our process.

Steering back to the topic: I cleaned my RSD copy of Angel Dream before I played it, and it sounded wonderful. I can't tell you how it would have sounded if I had not cleaned it beforehand, so my opinion on its sonics does not exist in opposition to anyone else's.

I333I and Western Movie like this.
  21. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

Wait a minute... how will you know if a record is truly 100% clean unless you try cleaning it to see if anything comes off of it? The eyeball can only tell you so much...

22. Steve Hoffman

A record doesn't have to be 100% clean to be played, ya know. Think of every record and every record player since 1893.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  23. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

Right, but just saying... I've purchased blemish-free used records from shops and record shows in the past, that with the naked eye, appear to be fairly clean. However one or two passes with a cotton ball and 50/50 mix of distilled water/iso alcohol, and that cotton ball is brown. Personally I don't want any of that junk on my platter or coming in contact with my stylus.

24. GrahamBW

GrahamBW Senior Member

Can we move the record cleaning topic to a record cleaning thread?

25. willmatic

willmatic Forum Resident

Why wipe your ass after taking a marshmallow if it looks clean in the mirror?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2021