Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Angel Dream (She’s The One OST reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Saul Pimon, Apr 7, 2021.

1. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

The price of entry to the mix.

Peja11 likes this.
  2. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

This is how I've spent the last month now. XD
    [​IMG]

Lewisboogie, Nipper, Larsen and 8 others like this.
  3. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I’m genuinely impressed with your Tom Petty CD collection. Seriously, it’s amazing.

JoeF., TheLazenby and FJFP like this.
  4. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I have to say since Tom has left this earth nearly 4 years ago, his estate has done a fine job with reissues and box sets.

I enjoy the new "She's The One" CD much more than the original 90's release!

Dovetail7, Bonddm, Alan57 and 5 others like this.
  5. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

That Wilbury's CD combo looks homemade...lol …

The official reissue about a dozen years ago had a nice DVD component along with the remastered CD's!

FJFP likes this.
  6. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

I will simply add :bigeek:

7. TheLazenby

It's a Russian boot I found at a record shop, with 1 and 3 on the same disc. I also have the counterpart disc with "Volume 2" (actually Full Moon Fever) and "Volume 4" (a hodge-podge of Wilburys rarities).

FJFP likes this.
  8. TheLazenby

Honestly, it only took me about four weekends of driving around to different record stores (and a couple flea markets) to scoop them up - you could recreate it, easy! :)

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  9. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

Nice, It only took me from 1975. Without getting into live CD's or concert videos about the only thing you're missing is the "The Best Of Everything" set.

10. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Also missing a 2CD anthology that came out in the early 2000’s that featured the unreleased- at the time—
    “ Surrender.”

Dovetail7 and Peja11 like this.
  11. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

That’s the 2000 re-recording of the track, and IMO if you’ve got the 2CD DTT and 4CD AAT you’ve got all the versions you need.

RoyalScam, JoeF. and Peja11 like this.
  12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Not really. If it ends up on Apple Music, it’ll be a different mix - Dolby Atmos - not the 5.1 mix. So the price of entry to the 5.1 mix will remain the same.

But I suppose it would lower the price point for a surround mix - if you don’t already have it. If you do, it raises the price of entry to have both...

FJFP likes this.
  13. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I konw you weren't including live cd's, but i'd include the live Mudcrutch disc.

faceinthecrowd likes this.
  14. Hypodermicstylus

Hypodermicstylus Active Member

That's because of
    The 90s CD master was a unfortunate victim of the loudness war, where dynamic range was traded to turning up all the tracks into the red, so now this wildflowers may sound quiet to you but i prefer the dynamic range which is why I love records, they don't have that issue but the loudness war ended a few years back, unfortunately wildflowers was made during the beginning of the loudness war and some say the compression Rick rubin used was a part of it, if done on vinyl the needle would jump out so since the CD used lasers they could turn everything up rediculously high, but that might explain the loss of oomph your experiencing

hodgo and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  15. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

If you listed your equipment profile as per forum rules, other members might be able to understand a little better why you are hearing it this way.

On and by the way, please refrain from making any further comments on sound quality related issues until you fill out your equipment profile!

I333I and stereoptic like this.
  16. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

my apologies, graham - no spot in the profile for either the factory-installed cd player in my car or the little sony discman (with lovely bose earbuds) that i take out on walks occasionally.

i hope that that doesn't mean i need to keep my opinions to myself, as there may well be other members in similar circumstances. when you do all your listening on a couple systems, it's pretty easy to tell when something's missing.

that said...alright. let thy floodgates open.

smitquest

idledreamer likes this.
  17. hodgo

But that's fine if that's how you listen to music, there's nothing wrong with that, in fact many others do the same. You could list your car CD player and walkman under "Digital Front End", car speakers under the "Speaker" option and earbuds under "Headphones".

You see this actually makes sense as to why you may prefer the Louder CD's, why? well because many people feel that this style of mastering is better suited to in car and portable player listening, and there's nothing wrong in that, plus having this information helps others to understand what you are hearing and why you may prefer it.

I hope this helps.

I333I and faceinthecrowd like this.
  18. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

thanks, hodgo - i always assumed i'd need access to detailed specs in order to fill out the profile, didn't think "car stereo" and "discman" would be acceptable terms!

that said - i'm definitiely NOT asking for louder masterings. i'm just questioning the remaster eq choices that have removed what i consider an important part of the bottom-end (the foundation!) from a really good tom petty record. while this may be rectified on a $2000 state-of-the-art living room system, i can't help thinking that the average listener deserves a balanced listening experience - i've got enough cds universally considered 'good sounding' to have a fair idea of what i'm hearing, y'know?

but no matter - i appreciate the even-handed reply.

thanks, all - back to the discussion at hand!

smitquest

Adam Bosman, faceinthecrowd and hodgo like this.
  19. hodgo

I think the problem is that some members are under the false illusion that listing hi-fi gear is a competion that they don't have a chance of winning, but that's not what it's about at all. The only reason we ask for this is to help understand why people are hearing what they are hearing. For example take the old CD mastering of "She's the One", there maybe other members like yourself who listen in the car, now if they hear from members like you that this particular CD is great in the car and that you prefer it to a more, shall we say, gentler syle of mastering, they may choose to go for the version that you prefer. However someone else who is listening on larger hi-fi in big room may realise that they would be better going for the gentler option, that's really all that it boils down to.

20. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I’m listening to You Don’t Know How it Feels in my car. Tons of bass.

21. ryan de topanga

ryan de topanga Forum Resident

Interesting discussion. FYI, Chris Bellman and I are huge fans of low end. When we remastered the original Wildflowers and when I remixed tracks from She's The One, which are now on the Angel Dream album, I pad a lot of attention to the bass. It's what holds up the record, and as many of you know, I'm not shy in this department on other Tom Petty records I've worked on. What you might be hearing is the sound of the brick wall limiting on the original CDs, which limited the dynamic range, and added distortion and loss of detail. That loss of detail and dynamic range might make it sound "bassier" but, there is just as much actual low end (in some cases on the remixes, there is more in certain places, like the fade in "Supernatural Radio").

Having said all that, if you like the sound of the original CDs, that's great! After 40 years in this business I've learned that everyone has their own take on what sounds "good". What counts is if the music connects with you. However you listen to it and whatever the source is, if you like it, then go with that!

Revolver, The Killer, btltez and 24 others like this.
  22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Why I replaced all my Tom vinyl with y'all's reissues a few years back !!! :hugs:

23. Hypodermicstylus

Hypodermicstylus Active Member

**** Ryan your my number 1 sound engineer, my dad thinks so too, everybody is great in their own way but the stuff you did with Tom was just incredible, that lossless CD of highway companion/mudcrutch is in my opinion the greatest digital technological achievement there is in the 21st century, and the way you keep things all analog onto vinyl if it's possible, keep kicking ass man! I still have hope maybe one day we can get some tom petty heartbreakers 1 offs from original Master to 1/4 15ips reels or the 1 off to cassette like mofi did in the 80s, or maybe a tom petty heartbreakers 1 step vinyl, there's always another anniversary!

Bonddm likes this.
  24. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I really dig Howie’s playing on the “All the Rest” version of “Climb that Hill”, particularly on the opening verse and love how clearly defined it is in the mix.
    Steve ain’t too shabby on it either!

jeremylr and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  25. ryan de topanga

ryan de topanga Forum Resident

Thx to you and your dad! (You made my day ;-) There is more to come. I can't talk about it, of course, but hopefully we'll all be able to enjoy some more great music from TP and the HBs for years to come. I'l do my best to keep it sounding as good as it can. That was Tom's passion too...