Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Angel Dream (She’s The One OST reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Saul Pimon, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

There's one for $24.99 right now (2020 repress). And they pop up quite often between Discogs/Ebay because of the recent repress. Warner has been repressing a ton of their back catalogue over the last year or more.

I find it funny how people want to come on here and 'scold' people for missing out on pressings. We all know how quickly these things can sell out, get off your pedestal.

bobloblaw, KAJ1971 and FJFP like this.
  2. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I agree - but I'm not a fan of The Last DJ beyond the title track.

3. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Definitely not, I think it's a really good album.

David Jakubowski and FJFP like this.
  4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

As big as Petty is, he’s not Zeppelin or the Beatles - both in terms of sales (smaller) and in size of his discography (larger). There are far more apt analogs for Petty than the Beatles or Zeppelin. And most of those follow a similar model of reissuing an LP with enough copies to satisfy most of the potential market within in a few years.

For most albums for most bands, there is little point in this era in pressing enough copies to satisfy 100% of the potential market and/or to have inventory which lasts for many years. You press just enough to make most fans happy and to encourage fence-sitters to buy now. If you do this, there is little reason to re-press again for most albums for most bands.

As for people being angry if the rest of the post-WF catalog gets repressed? If you’ve been here long enough, you’ll realize people will get angry no matter what is done or not done.

Western Movie and javilu77 like this.
  5. veon

veon Forum Resident

6. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I'd be happier if they released a She's The One and all the Rest extended edition.

7. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

I have a special fondness for She's The One, so the yellow sleeve will always be the one for me. I bought it in Chicago at Towers Records (near Linconl Park).
    Unfortunately, all those marvellous stores are now gone.

8. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Has it been confirmed that this’s getting a CD release?

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I'd be amazed if there wasn't, the TP estate loves a cash-in, there'll be Angel Dream candles and all sorts.

10. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

oh, i'm sure it will

right after they tell us that the vinyl version is the ONLY way to hear this version of the album, and that it's all "exlcusive"
    so that we'll all buy the vinyl....then later on, it'll be released on cd. in a roundabout way, kind of like what they pulled with
    the Finding Wallflowers fiasco

11. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

We've known for a month that it's an "RSD First" release. That doesn't guarantee a CD release specifically, but they've already told us there will be another way to hear it.

12. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Y’all still salty about this? Oof.

Looking forward to this one. Made a playlist with the existing mixes of available songs. Good stuff.

poidog and Jeff Bramwell like this.
  13. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yup.

I love TP's music. But that marketing BS was not cool. :tsk:

14. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

I wonder if the reaction from box set buyers would have been the same if the breakout Finding Wildflowers set came with an inflated price (e.g. $100+) that made the box the better deal in the end, a la the new Mars Volta reissues. Which takes priority, exclusivity or price?

15. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

All this. Do I regret shelling out the $160 for the big box? Nope. Loyalty to Tom himself? Maybe. Loyalty to Mike, Benmont and @ryan de topanga ? Maybe. Am I deranged fanboy? Probably, and I'm not ashamed of it. :shrug::winkgrin:

16. MechanicalAnimal6

yes, just like you said yourself, they never guaranteed a cd release specifically...
    and that's what was being asked.....so.....yeah.... :wtf:o_O

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  17. Marry a Carrot

Let me know when they tell us the vinyl version is the only way to hear it.

18. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

In my case, price. I am happy to have more people share in great music. But paying the extra $80-100 would not have been the option I opted for if I knew then what the release timeline would be.

I had been conditioned by the Live Anthology Best Buy exclusive to realistically think that when they said the 5th disc would not be available elsewhere, that would really be the case. [I missed out on that one because of my financial situation at the time, and I did not want to make that same mistake again.]

Now I know better.

19. MechanicalAnimal6

Oh my god man.

it was never announced as being released on cd, that's it.
    i never said that it for sure isn't happening, just that nothing is for certain yet.

since you want to be a pain and be difficult, then show me the cd pre order link.

some people just need to be difficult, christ !!

i'm done with you, you're not worth my time.
    you're being difficult over nothing, just to be rude and a pain in the....

Marry a Carrot likes this.
  20. Marry a Carrot

ARK, supermd, Sammy Banderas and 9 others like this.
  21. MechanicalAnimal6

well glad to finally get confirmation that it is coming out on cd.
    now i will pre order that and not worry so much about the vinyl version, but if i do find
    a copy at my local store on RSD, i'll probably still grab it, since i love this album so much.
    I hope the changes made to the album will still all sound okay and like a nice cohesive album.
    Wish they hadn't taken out songs though still!!

Bonddm and Billy_Sunday like this.
  22. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I would have preferred Kiss My Amps Volume III but, I’ll take anything Petty.

Classicrock and Canadacrowe like this.
  23. Hooodo Man

Hooodo Man Forum Resident

something odd about that link. It lists it as a paperback even though it says audio CD.

24. MechanicalAnimal6

amazon does that from time to time, also the other picture is of the vinyl even, not the cd.
    but the listing is for the cd in question. :)

faceinthecrowd likes this.
  25. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Sorry, but I call bull crap on that, big time. The album had 15 tracks and was 52 minutes long. Or was a 40 minute CD *unacceptable* in 1996? :rolleyes:

Personally, I am very selective about any comments that I find believable coming from the Tom Petty estate.
    I don’t think Tom would like the way things have been going for the past few years.