Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Angel Dream (She’s The One OST reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Saul Pimon, Apr 7, 2021.

1. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

It's been fixed now. It now says audio CD.

Hooodo Man likes this.
  2. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Preorder option for the CD is up on Bull Moose now as well.

3. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

Up at TP's official online store too.

4. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

This is all confusing. I mean wildflowers and the rest. Wildflowers 2. Wildflowers box. Angel Dream cuts tracks from the soundtrack but later the She’s The One soundtrack will be rereleased.

This is just slicing and dicing the original releases. Super confusing and it feels like a money grab. The people doing this campaign must be doing the same drugs that killed Petty.
    :hide:

MechanicalAnimal6 likes this.
  5. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I'm worried because @ryan de topanga hasn't contributed to this thread to give us some background and insights on this release like he usually does. I miss him already.

The last time he logged on was on 11/20/2020...ironically, that was the day that The Dirty Knobs' Wreckless Abandon LP was released.

6. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [photograph credited to Robert Sebree]
    LETS GET WILD PEOPLE!

As announced today through the official Tom Petty/Heartbreakers website, I am pleased to share that Tom Petty/Heartbreakers' "Angel Dream (Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One)" will be issued to market as part of two special campaigns this summer. The album will initially be made available to consumers as part of Record Store Day's "RSD Drops". In order to facilitate the needs of collectors, independent record shops will be holding two distinct offerings of exclusive vinyl this season on two individual days. Tom Petty/Heartbreakers will be participating in the initial RSD drop on 2021/06/12 with the release of "Angel Dream (Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One)" on limited edition Colbalt Blue vinyl. This Colbalt Blue vinyl presssing will be exclusive to the RSD Drop with a standard black vinyl pressing being issued to market as part of the second campaign on 2021/07/02. This campaign will expand the availability of "Angel Dream (Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One)" to the mainstream market and along with the standard black vinyl issue will include availability on both compact disc as well as digital options. All selections will also be made available at this time to digital streaming platforms.

"Angel Dream (Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One") is a reimagining of one of the hidden gems of Tom Petty/Heartbreakers' catalog, a soundtrack initially produced in 1996 for the Edward Burns' film "She's The One". In celebration of the 25th anniversary of that album's original release, "Angel Dream (Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One)" both remasters and remixes eight of the original soundtrack's selections and positions them alongside four previously unreleased offerings with an eye to placing emphasis on this collection of music as being a proper Tom Petty/Heartbreakers album.

TRACK LISTING

01. ANGEL DREAM (NO. 2)
    02. GREW UP FAST
    03. CHANGE THE LOCKS
    04. ZERO FROM OUTER SPACE
    05. A-S-S-H-O-L-E
    06. ONE OF LIFE'S LITTLE MYSTERIES
    07. WALLS (NO. 3)
    08. THIRTEEN DAYS
    09. 105 DEGREES
    10. CLIMB THAT HILL
    11. SUPERNATURAL RADIO (Extended Version)
    12. FRENCH DISCONNECTION

For more information & to pre-order please visit:

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    : www.tompetty.com
    FACEBOOK: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/tompetty?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  7. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I can't keep any of this straight any more...

Can anyone clarify which of the tracks on the new release are songs that were actually recorded during the Wildflowers sessions (and should have probably been included with that release):

01. ANGEL DREAM (NO. 2)
    02. GREW UP FAST
    03. CHANGE THE LOCKS
    04. ZERO FROM OUTER SPACE
    05. A-S-S-H-O-L-E
    06. ONE OF LIFE'S LITTLE MYSTERIES
    07. WALLS (NO. 3)
    08. THIRTEEN DAYS
    09. 105 DEGREES
    10. CLIMB THAT HILL
    11. SUPERNATURAL RADIO (Extended Version)
    12. FRENCH DISCONNECTION

J_D__ likes this.
  8. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

A quick mailbag addressing some questions that have been posted up over the past thirty days. Once he is able to speak about this upcoming project, I'm sure Ryan Ulyate will address all concerns regarding the creative behind Tom Petty/Heartbreakers' "Angel Dream (Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One)" including questions I'm sure y'all have regarding both physical and digital media. For now though I'll try my best to address the following:

"Hard Promises" was the first Tom Petty/Heartbreakers record I bought in real time as well. I won't belabor the point but I remember when I got to see the Peter Bogdanovich documentary "Runnin' Down A Dream" and Eddie Vedder talks about picking up "Hard Promises" during his school-lunch break. I had a similar experience, picked it up during a break from school [do schools even allow off campus lunch nowadays?] and actually got a promo-copy from my local shop because the proprietor hadn't unpacked the merchandise yet. Shaved a few bucks off the price too so I got it for less than $8.98!

There are several projects that have been discussed as "potentials" for further archival review going forward. Some of which have been previously mentioned in this thread and others on the forum. The main gist of it as I understand it, is that attention has been paid first and foremost to the projects that Tom Petty wanted to see revisited. AFAIK, work is currently being done on issuing the Mary Wharton documentary on the "Wildflowers" sessions, "Somewhere You Feel Free" to the general market. So that hopefully should appear by the end of the year.

"Mudcrutch" was never released in the hi-resolution format per-say. Instead there was a limited edition audiophile compact disc included with the initial pressings of the vinyl LP back in 2008. So given that the record was never issued to the hi-res sites back in 2008 is the reason why it isn't there today. As it pertains to the soundtrack, it was never considered as part of the hi-res campaign in 2015 and as such did not appear alongside the rest of the albums included in that campaign. The forthcoming "Angel Dream (Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One" release is going to fill that gap and for all intents and purposes will supplant the original soundtrack going forward. AFAIK, while there aren't any plans to delete the original soundtrack, [the "Angel Dream" presser did in fact indicate that OST will remain on streaming platforms] it is also no longer going to be viewed as the matter of record as far as this particular Tom Petty/Heartbreakers album is concerned.

ARK, Bonddm, Sammy Banderas and 4 others like this.
  9. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Are you going to finish your bat, Dusty?

cwitt1980 and Alright4now like this.
  10. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Just Thirteen Days. All the other tracks are from the "She's The One" Sessions.

mikeja75 and KinkySmallFace1991 like this.
  11. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

It's not that confusing. "Wildflowers And All The Rest" is an archival box set that was released to market last year inclusive of the original "Wildflowers" album and a collection of ten tracks selected by Tom Petty, Mike Campbell and Ryan Ulyate in 2015 that TP christened "All The Rest". "Wildflowers: 2" was a project that Tom Petty/Heartbreakers were working on in the wake of the original "Wildflowers" sessions that is believed to have eventually been cannibalized to some degree by the "Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One" soundtrack in 1996. That soundtrack is now being re-released to market with an emphasis on assimilating it into the Tom Petty/Heartbreakers catalog. The forthcoming "Angel Dream (Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One)" will supplant the OST as far as the physical media market is concerned although both titles will continue to co-exist on digital streaming platforms.

AFAIK Ryan Ulyate can only speak about a project publicly once it has been officially announced to market. Just be patient. All in good time.

ARK, laf848, Sammy Banderas and 2 others like this.
  12. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Every time I see that album cover, I shake my head in sad disbelief.

faceinthecrowd and JoeF. like this.
  13. KinkySmallFace1991

Well, since it was announced today, maybe we'll hear from him soon enough?

As always, thanks @McCool for all your wealth and knowledge of info. I learn something new from you every time you post! What would we Petty fans do without you?

14. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

And in the interim, many of us (myself included, btw) have been less than kind about the Petty estate, the price of the Wildflowers Super Deluxe 5 CD set, and the subsequent standalone release of that previously exclusive bonus 5th disc.

No wonder he’s steering clear.

Myke likes this.
  15. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

So we're getting two vinyl versions: cobalt blue on 6/12 for RSD and a standard black in July? These pressings are identical except for the colored wax on RSD?

16. KinkySmallFace1991

Sort of how Andrew Sandoval has with the Monkees and Kinks reissue threads on this board, and Rob Caiger to the Small Faces, Humble Pie and Yardbirds reissue threads?

FJFP likes this.
  17. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

“She’s the One” might be my favorite Petty album, or definitely jockeying for position in the Top 3. Vastly underrated. So, I’m cautiously optimistic, but I rather like it as it is.

bobloblaw, Clonesteak and JoeF. like this.
  18. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

I believe it's the same deal as the recently issued "Finding Wildflowers" vinyl. There was a limited-edition gold pressing on that one that was issued to market roughly a month before the standard black vinyl was released. The only difference this time [if you can truly call it that] is that independent record shops are receiving an exclusive on this particular title for around thirty days before the campaign expands to the mainstream market. So essentially what will be taking place is a soft launch on 2021/06/12 followed by a mainstream launch on 2021/07/02. So two separate campaigns but for the same title.

19. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

anyone know why they had to mess with the tracklisting though?
    why take off songs that were there originally and that should still be there?
    and why change the running order around?

It should have been the order and songs the way it originally was and then added the bonus tracks at the end if anything.
    Another haphazard release from the TP estate i guess....they are really on a losing streak with me lately.

jeremylr and EmceeEscher like this.
  20. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Aside from the way the did the Wildflowers box set which was a mess on many different levels, it definitely feels like they pulled "13 Days" from the Wildflowers box to entice die hards to buy this release for that song.

21. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

There are really only two projects: Wildflowers & All the Rest and Angel Dream. Like virtually every box set release for any artist these days, there are various configurations for the box. Not all that confusing, in my opinion.

FJFP likes this.
  22. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

The drugs he was taking were for his fractured hip and emphysema, or so the story goes.

23. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

If anything, the 4 extra tracks should have been added to the "All The Rest" disc, imo.

But yeah, they'll do anything to get more money out of us fans, how nice of them.

Western Movie likes this.
  24. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Agreed.
    And while we're on the subject--just because I want to get it off my chest-- "Somewhere Under Heaven" just doesn't fit in with Wildflowers. I know it was part of the sessions and that Tom himself saw it released in 2015, but of all the tracks on the box, it's the only one that sound way out of place.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  25. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

I've gone into this several times before so I'll attempt to be as brief as possible. There were four selections on the original soundtrack that would've been issued to market as part of "Wildflowers" in 1994 had that particular album been issued to market as a double-disc package. Since that project did not come to fruition, in the wake of the 1995 "Dogs With Wings" tour, Tom Petty began work on a project meant to supplement the original "Wildflowers" album that has been called "Wildflowers: 2" which would've included several of the ten tracks that didn't make the cut on the single-disc issue of "Wildflowers" in addition to handful of newly recorded selections. However, roughly around this same time Tom Petty began collaborating with director Edward Burns on a soundtrack to the film "She's The One". While TP originally only intended to donate one song to that project, his involvement eventually expanded to being the musical director for the film and the soundtrack would end up featuring only Tom Petty/Heartbreakers recordings. So in order to expand his involvement in a project which was originally only going to feature one Tom Petty/Heartbreakers' contribution, TP ended up selecting three tracks [in addition to a remake of "Climb That Hill"] from the double-disc version of "Wildflowers" for the soundtrack which for all intents and purposes put an end to any plans to issue "Wildflowers: 2".

When re-appraising "Wildflowers" for potential archival release in 2015, it was decided that the three selections from the double-disc version of "Wildflowers" that had been occupying space on the soundtrack should be restored to their rightful context as part of the "Wildflowers" project. These three selections ["Hope You Never", "California" & "Hung Up And Overdue"] alongside one of the versions of "Climb That Hill" that was recorded for "Wildflowers" were eventually issued to market as part of "Wildflowers And All The Rest". As I made reference to last year by doing so this would essentially left the OST somewhat crippled so instead of choosing to obscure that particular release, the decision was made to re-introduce it to market as it's own separate entity with four previously unreleased selections taking the place of the selections now heard on "Wildflowers And All The Rest".