Tom Petty "Wildflowers" vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kingsley Candler, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yes. And, not cut by Kevin Gray, but Chris Bellman.

Myke and scotti like this.
  2. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Two of the masters of their craft!!!

Stone Turntable and Myke like this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Ron Boustead -1994
    Kevin Gray - 2009
    Chris Bellman - 2016

While I have the original, I have no doubt whatsoever CB's tops them all. Everything I've bought for the last few weeks has been Mr. Bellman's work. All based on his compatibility with my vintage set up.

4. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

You should be getting a reduction with Amazon pre-order price match. I just paid $47.93. This is in reference to Best of Everything vinyl.

Jack likes this.
  5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I have the excellent sounding Alsdorf pressing above but the new version is quite a bit better. I managed to buy individual titles from the 2nd box from Diverse Vinyl. It's not clear if these were from split boxes but came in clear envelope sleeves. They were listed before they arrived in store including Wild Flowers, so clearly they had a source from a distributor. This was before the official release of the individual box 2 titles which excluded Wild Flowers. BTW the Alsdorf is almost certainly digital if that is what the TP camp are saying. Strange nobody appears to know about the US 'analogue' promo.

6. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

7. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Is this listed anywhere else? Would love to see a US solicitation... Looks like it might be some type of special box set (not this), from the RS interview. Plus the 1997 Fillmore set I hope as well. 2019 could really be a banner year for us Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers fans!!!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  8. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Why would they release this on Dec 30....five days after Christmas?
    Also, Wildflowers was released on Warner Bros. This says MCA. I think this listing is bogus.

lucan_g, violetvinyl and scotti like this.
  9. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

There is no way this is coming this year unless this is some type of bootleg...see the RS article on it recently that says a type of WF box set is in the works...plus they have The Best of Everything coming first...of course they will stagger future releases...

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  10. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Yes, it'll definitely see release next year, probably October/November time.

I'm not sure of the reason behind these sort of listings but I believe they may be some sort of placeholders. I've seen them listed for other titles in the past, some have been released and some haven't.

DaK and scotti like this.
  11. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

Pretty odd indeed...But jpc usually is pretty reliable and does not offer non-official releases. I think the label information is just a filler, they do this when further information is lacking. I did not find it anywhere else, but I did preorder it hoping it’s a box set...because if it is the price is really cheap right now.

12. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

is it really true?

13. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

Sadly, you were right. My order was cancelled!

14. via_atx

via_atx Forum Resident

Any updates on a stand-alone Wildflowers pressing?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  15. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Sadly no.

via_atx likes this.
  16. Bijan

Bijan Forum Resident

I imagine the deluxe Wildflowers set will come first, then the standalone offering. Wish they’d hurry :)

via_atx and OptimisticGoat like this.
  17. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

25th anniversary would be a a good guess for a release date.

via_atx and FourWalledWorld like this.
  18. FourWalledWorld

Exactly. I'd expect an announcement during the summer with the release to follow Oct/Nov.

via_atx likes this.
  19. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

"The daughters are blocking the release of new solo tracks that Tom Petty recorded 25 years ago, TMZ said. Dana Petty wanted to put them in an anniversary box-set re-release of the album “Wildflowers,” which would potentially make more than a million dollars in royalties, the site says."

Tom Petty’s estate in limbo as widow and daughters go to court

20. FourWalledWorld

I know, I have read all about this since my last post on this thread. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but I'd still expect it at some point this year though.

DaK likes this.
  21. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Waiting on Adria’s approval.

22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

It is beyond sad what is going on now with the releases that have been coming out since his tragic passing...lets review.

First we have the 4 CD set of An American Treasure, which comes out much earlier than the vinyl version. The CD is compressed badly, but yet Ryan (producer) tells us he did it to make the earbud crowd happy, and you could get a better sounding version by spending $150 on the hi res files, seriously??? Plus many already songs on it that have already been available, but we want to make sure the average fans did not over look them. Vinyl finally comes out and yes, much better sound though.

Then comes The Best of Everything, featuring two unreleased songs that could have and should have been on An American Treasure, but another way to get die hard fans to spend more money so they keep benefiting from this...

Now we have the feuding between his wife and daughters...priceless.

Sorry, a long time fan and I just get tired of seeing fans get exploited like this and then expect us to play nice and not say anything negative about it. I realize no one is forcing me to spend the money, but as someone that has supported his music for years, I had to say how I felt.

23. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

:rolleyes:

24. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I never wavered in my love for the vinyl format and didn't switch to CD format. I just went on my merry away buying vinyl through the 80s, 90s, 00s up to the present day. I took a lot of stick from friends, being called a dinosaur, luddite, stubborn, refusing to accept that CD was WAY better than crappy vinyl. All these years later I have the biggest grin of all. And no I wouldn't pay the exorbitant prices being asked for some LPs. I have never lost sight of the fact it is only an LP, not the holy Grail.

JG

PS: I have a German pressing and a US pressing of Wildflowers, cost me around €25 at the time.

Porkpie likes this.
  25. FourWalledWorld

I agree with you, especially on the bold. I posted this in another thread yesterday but there was a recent Mike Campbell interview where he actually says:
    “over the years we have always tried to treat the fans fairly financially....We did that specifically for the reason that we never wanted to price ourselves out of our fans. It was the same with the recordings. You shouldn’t have to buy five different box sets to get all of the songs you like”.

I can understand the whole thing with different record labels, etc but to tack on two tracks to "The Best of Everything" was the opposite of this.

scotti likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.