Tom Waits Big Time on Amazon Prime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ceevert, Nov 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceevert

ceevert Forum Resident Thread Starter

Tom Waits Big Time is currently available for streaming on Amazon Prime. Haven't seen this since I rented the VHS a long time ago. While not a perfect concert film, it's pretty damn wonderful.

2. It's playing in Canada on Crave, I think. I saw that tour and it was awesome. As for the movie, great when he's onstage and a waste of time when he isn't.

3. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I had that Big Time version of "Shore Leave" on my mind and went looking to see if it had made it to any official audio releases yet. Apparently not, but while looking into it I read that Big Time was on Prime. Nice surprise, so enjoyable. I've had an old DVD bootleg of it for 20 years, but it was so much more effective for me NOW.

The key feature of the Prime version, besides good video quality, is the optional subtitles. For me, subtitles are brilliant for music performances. I can't stand them for movie dialogue but for music it gives the lyrics a stronger dimension, especially with Tom Waits performances. His words can be hard to decipher, maybe due the expressive performances that command most of my attention.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

How was this shot? On film or on video? Is there any reason there couldn't be a nice new transfer for a blu-ray release?

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Watched this today and really liked it. It's a bit frustrating that there are so many segments that are just snippets of songs, but it was nice to hear a few numbers not on the CD. And I appreciate Tom's stage show style. Hope there's a good blu-ray release some time.

asdf35 likes this.
  6. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Is this US only? Can't find it on Prime in UK.

7. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I can't find it in Germany neither. Bummer. I was really excited by this news. :shake:

Phil Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.