Tom Waits Reissuing Anti Records Albums (2017), incl. Orphans (2018) Plus Elektra Back Catalogue *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Thanks. I wonder if the other two records will be released too

2. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

My new 2018 Closing Time is pretty quiet and flat. Sounds great and sounds like I'm lucky! :cool:
    I wonder why did they change the back cover art?

3. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

Ok....Sounds bad maybe you should try the EU release or the clear vinyl.

4. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

So what's the consensus on the quality of US pressings? The copy of Blood Money I got has a ridiculous amount of warpage. I thought about getting Real Gone, but not so sure if it's gonna be anything like what I just got.

5. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

Can anyone comment on the pressing quality of Closing Time EU release? Any surface noise issues on it? So keen to purchase this but don’t want to throw money away on a “popcorn session”. Am avoiding the US realease as so many bad comments on this one.... Euros’ what’s the word?

6. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

Try it it yourself, order it online, send it back if its really that bad. Problem with reports on surface noise is you often dont know whats really the source of it. I would bet that its sometimes only static or residue, so unless people havent cleaned the record, reports on surface noise in my experience are something of a mixed bag.

7. BlackCircleVinyl

I was hoping someone in the SH community could save me the hassle of buying, cleaning, listening and possibly returning if there’s a high chance the EU pressing is not good.... that’s part of the reason to be here surely? If no one else can comment then yeah, I’ll buy and try. Just tired of having to go through this process so often lately.

mikeburns and john lennonist like this.
  8. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Any reviews yet on the CD remasters?

SteelyTom likes this.
  9. BlackCircleVinyl

Since there seems to be nobody here with the EU vinyl release I took DaK's advice and purchased it myself (was a bit easier as my local record store had a 20% off sale over Easter). Vinyl quality is pretty good, not perfectly quiet but close too with some light noise between tracks even after a run through my Spin clean. Vinyl is shiny, clean, flat and centered too which is nice. Sound Quality is good, not amazing. My only other reverence is the Tidal MQA stream which I've yet to A-B so I can't comment on this pressing versus any other vinyl versions out there. Seems to me this may be a better bet than the US pressing - or I just got lucky (for a change).

frogfog likes this.
  10. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

I have Blue Valentine playing on my cd player now.
    My first impression. Not bad at all. It sounds fresh. The piano and voice are standing three dimensional Behind My speakers. It's a little louder than the original but not much.
    There is Space between the instuments. Sax has right Pace and sound.
    Not bad at all!

Grampire and let him run... like this.
  11. onlysleeping

onlysleeping Forum Resident

I bought the HDtrack Small Change at 24bit 192khz. More bass and clearer sounding than the original CD. I haven't compared to my original pressings or red vinyl pressing from Rhino, but I think it sounds great.

12. Audioresearch

Foreign Affairs I did A trial between the new remaster cd and the old elektra original cd
    I do like the original A little bit more.
    The sound is more relaxed. There is more debt and the voice is more naturel.
    The remaster has A louder volume and is more restrained.

13. Audioresearch

Closing Time i compared The elektra original (german) cd with The new remaster.
    This one is a little difficult.
    The original has a more natural sound.
    Is more laidback ( a little dull sometimes)
    the remaster sounds a little less naturel to My ears.
    It has a wider soundstage. There is better seperation Between the Instruments.
    Piano sounds more fresh.
    The remaster is a little louder.
    This time i keep both versions

Echoes Myron likes this.
  14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I reviewed the downloads in the Hi-Res thread: Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**
    and Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**
    (I had nothing to compare Blue Valentine to, I just warmed up to this album)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    DaK likes this.
  15. noddin0ff

noddin0ff Petty Opinionator Third Class

Closing Time

Been waiting for someone to comment on the digital remasters. Guess I have to step up. I just downloaded from BandCamp and am trying to A/B the two albums. My setup for comparison is iTunes Lossless > Musiland MD10 DAC > Cambridge Audio Azur 540A > Senn HD580. So, a decent system. My ears are over 50, however.

#1 Original CD ripped to Apple ALE lossless in 2006; probably the 1990 US release, but its in a box in the attic now.

vs

#2 BandCamp downloaded today lossless ALAC (Apple)

My comments after listening are: The differences are notable and positive. Compared to my old CD, the digital remaster is worthwhile. In brief, After 30 mins of listening. It sounds like the low end was boosted. In general, there's more attack on things like plucked strings, hammered piano. Probably the noise floor is lower so everything sounds a little more distinct. Probably better use of the dynamic range. Emotionally, ['cause the vinyl folk go on and on about emotion ;-) ] The original has a lo-fi/muted quality/less separation from noise floor/ what ever/ kind of nostalgic/ old timey brush to it. I think it would be easy enough to move on to possibly better dynamics and enjoy a few more nuances with the remaster.

Then because I can, after I wrote the above I downloaded Audacity and looked at the files. Hopefully the images all upload. The track is Virginia Avenue. The analysis...yeah. the base is boosted. Note that the Y-axis are not the same. On the Frequency histograms (original=Left; remaster=Right), there is about a 6dB boost for everything about 1000Hz and below. Somewhere around 5000Hz it doesn't look boosted. As far as levels go, the dynamic range was expanded (original=Bottom; remaster=Top). I don't know how to tell if noise was removed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. noddin0ff

noddin0ff Petty Opinionator Third Class

Obviously, I have issues with image hosting. Here are the links to the images I tried to post before, and a second attempt at embedding.
    https://image.ibb.co/cQMeE7/Virginia_Avenue_freq_Hist.png
    [​IMG]

https://image.ibb.co/bOreE7/Virginia_Avenue_Audacity.png
    [​IMG]

SteelyTom likes this.
  17. GK

GK Forum Resident

Was lucky enough to see Tom Waits in August '06, House of Blues. The date was added during the tour, and started around 130am. He played Akron, jumped on the tour bus, and headed to Cleveland to finish the tour. Stripped down stage in a fairly small venue. It was great. Opened with Goin' Out West with Tom on guitar. Like you said, it was a mass.

18. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Picked up Bawlers and Brawlers for RSD today, they look great and so far sounds great (just started playing Brawlers). My local store had a box full of all 3 so I think a lot of people looking for these titles will be able to pick then up with little trouble.

jumpinjulian and GentleSenator like this.
  19. Mark Mc Guinness

Mark Mc Guinness Forum Resident

Just got Bawlers sounds great so far nice pressing very happy.

20. findog3103

findog3103 Forum Resident

Got Brawlers too but notice lots of static in one channel on the vocals especially Low down and Fish in the Jailhouse on side 1, anyone else have the same thing?

21. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

My copy of Bastards seems to be a misprint. The first record is a disc from Brawlers. Anybody else have this problem?

22. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Seems like the quality of Tom's latest reissue campaign is all over the place for a number of different titles. I had Brawlers in my hand at my local record shop, then thought better of it and put it back. Kinda glad I did, which is a real shame when the music is this good.

23. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

my copy is correct.

24. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

What leads you to such hard judgement?

25. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

I see ...lots of complaints on discogs ... Kind of ruins my week since I was really looking forward to listening to my copies this weekend. Are there different pressings for US and EU?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.