Tom Waits Reissuing Anti Records Albums (2017), incl. Orphans (2018) Plus Elektra Back Catalogue *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IFP

IFP Forum Resident

Anyone know if there is a way to guarantee that you are buying THIS new pressing? Do you think just ordering direct from Kings Road Merch would do it?

I'm also still dying to hear some more opinions of the Heartattack reissue vinyl. Any quality problems with it?

2. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Not sure how to tell if you are buying the corrected version (and the details of the new version are not posted on Discogs yet) but I can tell you the handwritten runout etchings are much longer and completely different from the etchings on the first one. Side 1 says "Tom Waits Closing Time (catalog) PLUSH IRP" and side 2 has the catalog w/ PLUSH IRP.

The first one just had PL.

https://www.discogs.com/Tom-Waits-Closing-Time/release/11675239

IFP likes this.
  3. IFP

IFP Forum Resident

Thanks for that info, that's good to have! :thumbsup:

4. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

Is the remix of "Real Gone" superior to the original mix? Did they remixed any other album? And if i got it right, overall, the new remasters are inferior, with less dynamic, right?

5. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Where are you getting the less dynamic conclusion?

6. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I think the new remix of Real Gone is overall better. The original mix was so muddy that some of the quality of that album gets a bit lost. I'm not a huge fan of all the changes (Hoist that Rag for example is much better in the original mix), but I would highly recommend at least streaming it to take a listen. It really does sound quite different.

bluecase, seasonsinthesky and Porkpie like this.
  7. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Happy Sixty-ninth Birthday, Mr. Thomas Alan Waits!

8. goodnitesteve

goodnitesteve bootleger

Should I go for a new copy of this or try to find an early pressing? I used to have the older rhino

9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

of what?

10. goodnitesteve

goodnitesteve bootleger

Sorry, forgot where I was. Closing Time...

GentleSenator likes this.
  11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The 2010 Bellman Rhino is better than both options IMO.

12. @goodnitesteve Proceed with caution if you are looking for a 2010 reissue. The series released at this time were flawed and Rhino had to recut them. All 4 IIRC. Unfortunately, the last time I looked at Discogs, they did not make the distinction between the poor sounding Ron McMaster and the brilliant sounding Chris Bellman versions. IOW, don't rely on the listing info; ask to have them look at the deadwax.

oldjollymon and Echoes Myron like this.
  13. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

new stock *should* be the bellman cut. and i concur: it's the best, all-around pressing/sound/packaging.

the overall quality of the recent anti reissues leave something to be desired, imo.

14. I haven't seen these almost 10 year old versions in the racks for quite some time here in my neck of the woods,. If you come across one, grab it as it's likely NOS and (officially?)Out of Print.

GentleSenator likes this.
  15. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I bought the Bellman cuts about 12 months ago, Mint from Discogs for a decent price (£30 each) so I’m sure you can find them there if you’re patient

16. Vinylanswer.net

Vinylanswer.net Forum Resident

This is 100% accurate.

17. goodnitesteve

goodnitesteve bootleger

I had a Rhino cut, a good one. I sold it a few months back to settle some debts. I'll check my local store, they used to have them all, but in the meantime, I purchased a vg Asylum for $20 with shipping. That should hold me over. It's a shame these Anti- versions dropped the ball. I had high hopes for them.

18. Hedin

Hedin Forum Resident

Happy to have a copy of the Orphans albums on vinyl finally, so many gems on this set. I got black version and think they are sounding great.
    The packing is a little lackluster, but accords price I think.

Porkpie likes this.
  19. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I have been getting the CDs of the remasters and I can't find Foreign Affairs anywhere. It is even missing from the tomwaits.com store. The vinyl is available at some online retailers but no CD. Was there a production error that caused them to be recalled or something?

20. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

No issues with the 24/192 file.

21. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I have the CD, works fine for me. Not sure why it'd be held up. I'm hoping Tom's Island years get reissued as well.

22. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

Still on the fence about getting the Foreign Affairs vinyl reissue or seeking out a clean original. My original has a loud scratch that is audible throughout half of the 1st side, other than that I love the sound of the record.

23. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

No news from Tom in some time now. Last I read he was actually working on a new record. This gives him plenty of time to reissue the Island years!

Swordsandchains and Alfie Noakes like this.
  24. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

To save me having to sift through all 24 pages, can anyone tell me if any of the re-issues besides "Real Gone" has any alternate mixes/versions?

25. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Anyone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.