Tommy Bolin Teaser LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Getarz, Sep 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Getarz

Getarz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey folks, I'm new here and was just reading a great discussion from a few years ago on this album . I am looking for information on a copy I have had forever but that thread was closed so I hope it's ok to post it here. It's on Nemperor with one label blue, the other purple. The catalog # is NE436 0698. The dead wax is engraved with ST-NE-753496-A on both sides and the initials AT and PR are also faintly visible. Not looking to sell, I've had this LP in great condition since High School and love it. I just kind of geek out over pressings and what I have in my collection. THANK YOU so much for any information you can add ! This is a great site and I finally decided to come out of lurker mode !! :laugh:

Jim

2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

That’s the first pressing from when Nemperor was distributed by Atlantic. It was later reissued/remastered when Nemperor’s distribution changed to Columbia. In my opinion the Atlantic pressing sounds a bit better than the Columbia pressing.

longdist01, Getarz and WHMusical like this.
  3. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

Welcome to the Forums Getarz!!!!

Curb Knows From Whence He Speaks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Note the "fine print" below the Nemperor Records bit in each photo.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    curbach, longdist01 and Getarz like this.
  4. Getarz

Wow....Very cool !!! I knew somebody here would be able to provide some info. Looks like I got , by s**t luck, a good one waaaaay back then ! It's always great knowing an album you bought years ago by just walking into a record store and buying it, somehow later in life turns out to be something good. Always amazed how few people have this one, it's such a great album. THANKS for the info !! :righton:

5. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

One of my three pressings of Teaser is this one with identical deadwax on both sides and the Atlantic distribution. Is same deadwax on both sides usual? I would imagine the B side would have a B and not an A.

In my opinion this is Tommy Bolin at his best both compositions and playing.

Acoustic Warrior and Getarz like this.
  6. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

7. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

Interesting. I dug mine out and it's the Altlantic version. Shouldn't be surprised I guess, it came from the college radio days. The station received two copies, one with a punch out and promo label, the other had neither. As music director I assumed that was meant for me personally. Too bad there isn't a One Step or ARS version so we could have a multiple page argument over which was AAA or sounded better.

Agreed, but I still have soft spot for Private Eyes. I can only image where he would have gone musically if things hadn't taken that wrong turn.

longdist01 and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  8. Getarz

I'll see your ' interesting' Riktator and raise you one ! I just noticed mine also has a little round punch out on the cover that didn't go all the way through. Either I totally forgot about it ( most likely ) or I just never paid attention to it until this afternoon ! It's not labeled 'promo' or anything though. Maybe this was just one that was sent back before they discovered the horrible table saw mutilating technique ! Thanks again folks, this has been interesting reading !!! Love this place !

Riktator likes this.
  9. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

Uhhh...trying to see that and raise you another...but got nothing. As an aside, I'm trying to remember where I reading that Jeff Beck had heard Tommy Bolin's jaz/fusion contributions and it lead him to Blow by Blow. There's a lot to Tommy Bolin that doesn't get the attention it should.

longdist01 likes this.
  10. Getarz

Totally agree. Jeff Beck's my favorite guitarist. I always joke when people talk about Blow by Blow, I say ' you know that's a double album' ? They look all puzzled, then I tell them to listen to Billy Cobham's 'Spectrum' album !!! Openes a LOT of eyes !!

Riktator likes this.
  11. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Great post, a very true statement.

On a side note I hope they can find the masters someday (long lost) and do a great remaster before I kick. ;)

Getarz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.