Great Configuration: Record 1 - Side 4 (sides 1+4, sides 2+3 paired on double LPs)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 8tracks, Feb 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict Thread Starter

I grew up listening to the original Jesus Christ Superstar on a home recorded reel to reel tape. I knew it had the Record 1: Sides 1 & 4, Record 2: Sides 2 & 3 configuration because my Dad didn't bother to pause the tape as the automatic return tonearm did its thing and the next record dropped between sides 1 & 2 and sides 3 & 4.

Thankfully this trend pretty much ended by the mid 70s, but I was shocked when I bought the 1983 album "Motown: 25 #1 Hits from 25 Years" and it was pressed that way. How many other double albums from the 80s were pressed this way? Was this configuration used by all major labels? (I can't remember seeing a Capitol album this way.) Did some labels keep pressing this way longer than others? Did the artists have to consent to this type of pressing?

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I have a copy of Tommy (late 70's pressing,I think) that is 1-4, 2-3.

My Stevie Wonder Musicquarium is mid 80's Motown and it's normal. 1-2, 3-4.

3. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I had a copy of Marvin Gaye Anthology from the early 80's and it was 1-6,2-5,3-4. :eek:

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  4. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict Thread Starter

I had both of those, which is why I was even more surprised with the Motown 25 #1 hits album, since it came out a year after Musicquarium. My Tommy was bought in 1983 on the blue rainbow MCA label, and it was a 1-4, 2-3. I always assumed later pressings of most 1-4, 2-3 albums retained that order.

Yikes!!

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

This configuration was used so that you could load up an automatic changer and play sides one and two of a double album without having to get up from the couch to change the album. I remember my MCA copy of Tommy used this configuration. I always thought it was silly, because I didn't have an automatic record changer, and instead of flipping side one over to side two, I had to get record two out of its sleeve and put it on the table. :realmad:

BZync and siveld like this.
  6. munson66

munson66 Forum Dilettante

Yup, that "convenience" came at a price! We damaged a lot of vinyl back in the day by stacking it on a changer. When I was 7 or 8, I even remember going with my dad to the Admiral factory in Toronto so that he could get some tubes for our colour TV (!) and I could buy a 45-rpm changer for my Admiral/BSR portable. I may or may not have picked up a replacement stylus (the kind allowed you to switch between 33 and 78 needles as needed).

One day my experimental side kicked in and I tried to determine just how many singles you could put on the turntable. I think I was up to about five or six before the top record just wouldn't spin properly anymore. :shake:

Hey, what did I know? I was a kid.

BZync and JoeOnWheels like this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi folks,

In the 78 RPM days, there were several different changer sequences available from some labels including RCA Victor. Some changers were assembly line, some with overarms, and other different kinds. Ingrid and I have one of the best if not the best changer ever made, the redoubtable Thorens TD-224. This changer has a shelf where records are loaded off to the side, and there is a gripper arm to get the record and lift it on to the platter and begin play. That's right friends, only 1 record is on the platter at a time, after the record is finished, the platter stops and the record is picked up by the gripper arm and put back on the rack and then another is selected and then played until the last finishes and the deck is shut off. Very gentle on vinyl. Google record changers for photos on different type machines.

8. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

The "Woodstock" soundtrack was like that, but of course that was 1970.

9. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

I was listening to my Allman Brothers - Live At Filmore East double LP this morning and the inside cover states "Side 1 and Side 4 are on the first record, Side 2 and Side 3 are on the second record".

So if I want to play the tracks in the order, I've gotta put on record 1 (for side 1), then change to record 2 to play sides 2&3, then flip back to record 1 to play side 4. That's two record changes, whereas if the sides are in order there's only one record change.

I've seen this with other double LPs as well.

Scratching my head trying to figure out why this is done at all.

--Geoff

10. olsen

olsen Senior Member

In the old days of record stackers/changers, you'd stack side one, then on top of that drop side two (on the other disc). Then you'd play both sides, flip them both, and finish the album.

11. phish

phish Jack Your Body

something to do with those automatic record changer turntable units?

ya gotta love the sound of vinyl banging against vinyl.

12. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Yes. It is annoying. I have Electric Ladyland and Here my Dear copies with the same problem:confused:

13. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

To accomodate stacking record players back in the day. You'd stack the two records on top of each other, then flip the whole pile over, and you'd hear the whole thing in the proper order.

EDIT: oops, I see several folks beat me to this.

14. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

I see ... stacking record players. I think my parents had a turntable back in the day that had this feature. Had forgotten such things existed.

--Geoff

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I feel old.

16. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

The early version of the "cd changer" :righton:

My parents had one too , after stacking maybe a 3rd lp it would start to slip & sound warped :D

17. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

:laugh::laugh:

yeh , i liked the one's that came with the "Peg" so it could be a standard turntable as well !

18. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I noticed this same thing when I got this album. I thought it might be a mistake or some reason I didn't know about.

19. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

yep...me too.

20. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Which is worse:

1. Having to explain why the sides are configured that way?
    2. Having to explain what a record changer is and how it works?

:biglaugh:

Whoroger89 likes this.
  21. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Having to explain what a 3" cd single is and how to play it:)

22. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Now I feel old.

At least you don't have to try to find an adapter. :D

23. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I remember stacking as many LPs as I could on the (Zenith console) hi-fi spindle. I found I could get more than the recommended amount of 5 or 6 LPs - I could get 7 or 8 :).

Eventually the tonearm is reaching waaaaay up there to play the top LP.

Funny thing is....I don't remember any sonic degradation other than the upper records sliding on each other now & then - slowing down a second.
    But then the proper speed returns and all is well. :edthumbs:

kundryishot likes this.
  24. bcbassboy

bcbassboy Forum Resident

lol! yeah, the ol' Electrohome war machine! What a tank. Could stack 6-8 lps ha ha. Right next to the 8-track player. I've got several of those double lp's. Jesus Christ Superstar is the first that comes to mind.

25. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I can remember being confused when I found a double album that had side 1 and side 2 on the same record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.