"Tomorrow Never Knows": did the Beatles invent "beats"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Disraeli Gears, May 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I miss the Cold War. At least everyone was in check ;)

2. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

[QUOTE="NYSPORTSFAN, post: 14319276, member: 64950"

The Beatles created their own brand of music which in turn influenced multitudes of other musicians.[/QUOTE]

Indeed! Just not Hip Hop

Aftermath and JohnnyQuest like this.
  3. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Honestly, when I first heard "Tomorrow Never Knows" back at the time of original release, the drums kinda put me in mind of a Conga Line.

Hope that doesn't ruin anything for anybody.

Definitely prefer the mono for this track.

ssmith3046 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  4. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

[joke/ It was 20 years ago today
    Sgt. Pepper told the band to play
    They've been going in and out of style
    But they're guaranteed to raise a smile

C'mon man! That's rappin'! Years before The Last Poets! /joke]

Dan

bluejeanbaby and Disraeli Gears like this.
  5. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

I probably won't order that book, but I've never heard of "backward looping" as a specific technique. Also the loops on TNK were not recorded live, they are mixed in live. The loops were recorded and created ahead of time, at (mainly Paul's, IIRC) home. "Live Looping" more commonly refers to digital devices that can now create and playback loops in pretty much real time, such as an effects pedal. An author can call a technique whatever they want, but calling something that isn't a loop "looping" makes no sense.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  6. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Has to be a troll thread....

Devon and Sean like this.
  7. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Bwahahahahaha.
    Yes, they also invented the drums.

8. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

And? Your point is? That has nothing to do with how influential the song 'Tomorrow Never Knows' has been. It was the first song to be recorded in that way by a popular rock act, and it pre-dated the big beat sound by 30 years.

It doesn't really matter what we think; the musician's themselves have mentioned the strong influence of the song, as the quotes that I posted go to show.

The influence of the song on certain subsections of electronic music is an admitted and established fact, and has nothing to do with Terry Riley.

Why do some people have a problem in admitting the influence that this song had? Whether it was the first ever song to be recorded like it was is another point entirely.

9. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

(Not as good as their "Smack My Bîtch Up")

Disraeli Gears likes this.
  10. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

I've been a member of these forums long enough to know the Beatles invented everything!!!

Did the rest of you not get the memo???????

Sean likes this.
  11. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

This thread has gotten extremely silly.

Disraeli Gears, Sean and This Heat like this.
  12. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

The Beatles invented silly.

13. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Well, we all know that they did not invent everything but they sure as heckfire did "invent" a lot when it comes to song structure, guitar riffs, arrangements, production, etc etc.
    And when you have that many items on the list, it is open season when it comes to them.
    I am not a huge fan either....I just know the technical truth when I hear it or at least when I think I hear it.

14. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Correct. It was only just silly when it began with the thread starter's premise.

15. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The Beatles were groundbreaking and innovative, but they didn't invent everything.

zebop and bluejeanbaby like this.
  16. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  17. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

"Invent" is the wrong word. Just have a pleasant chat about how groundbreaking the song is.

18. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Yes they did!! ;)

19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Have you actually asked most folks that play guitar if they would agree? Just wondering. Many of the associations seem to exist only here as far as I can tell but I'm not keeping track.

The problem with The Beatles is that they influenced so many people. I mean who isn't a fan? Ozzy is a huge fan and has said they influenced him the most. So it can be hard to draw a line between just an influence or they were the first.

I'd actually love to hear someone properly dissect that Ticket To Ride riff and break it down showing how it is one of the first metal riffs and why. That would be very interesting to me. Same goes with many of the associations made on here, but I never see much of an explanation beyond the initial post. Of course one could argue we never even get to a point beyond the first post because what follows is arguing. :) But in all seriousness, I think many fail to really make a connection and don't argue their point very well.

I'm not saying this is real but at times it feels like there's a subset of Beatles fans that spend their time trying to find any link they possibly can between something The Beatles recorded and what came later, especially if it isn't in the rock vein.

Rose River Bear, Sean and Comet01 like this.
  20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Let me think back to 1966. Jeez, I can't think that far back anymore. My answer to the question is, maybe.

21. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Before Tomorrow Never Knows the world was, quite literally beatless.

22. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Don't know about hip hop or "beats" but certainly it was a revolutionary track that sounds like something from the 90's. You can hear it in The Chemical Brothers "Let Forever Be"

theMess likes this.
  23. ganma

ganma Senior Member

One thing is for certain, the OP is taking quite the beat down in this thread. ;)

Sean and Mr. Explorer like this.
  24. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Yes yes yes. All true. But like most players here, I'm waiting for it to become sublimely, definitively, transcendentally silly.

Mr. Explorer and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  25. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

That's something from the 90s sounding like something from the 60s, not vice versa. David Holmes and those guys made careers out of ripping off that sort of sound:

101 Strings - Flameout »

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    entropyfan, Synthfreek and D.H. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.