Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paul K, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member Thread Starter

So there I was...
    Waiting patiently until somebody came up with the goods - A remastered (hopefully mono as Steve Howe and Keith West agreed it should be) version of the psyche classic from 1968. Bonus trax would tie up the loose ends by all the side projects from the time, and justice would be served.

WAS I EVER IN FOR A BUMMER, MAN!!

EMI did it, and although it doesn't have The Mewtilator (notice new spelling evolution, these things happen over time. Ask Darwin, or Prince) listed in the credits, it bears his hand or that of a Mewciple.

It proudly boasts that this great artifact was processed by No-Noise. This isn't hidden on the inside cover - no, this is boldly displayed on the back.

AND IF THAT WASN'T KILLING ME ALREADY...

It prouldly (stupidly, idiotically, insert yr fave here) announces the existance of two fake stereo tracks ("My White Bicycle" fer C's sake! and something else, probably "Clarimount Lake" or sumptin!) so that we can enjoy this stereo album (that the band has since disowned the mixes in that format) with the fake stereo's intact to keep continuity or something really dumb like that!!

NUTS!!!

On another note, got into an almost kerfuffle with a record store clerk who tried to tell me how wonderful and woody the new "All Things Must Pass" sounds. Admirable restraint I showed by not clubbing him and replacing him behind the counter - offering free copies of ATMP to every rubby on Bloor St.

end transmission...

2. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

I'm not familiar with the album but I can feel your pain brother. Frustrating!

All Things Must Pass - "woody"???? :eek:

If we ever read of a man being arrested at Sam's we'll back you up in Court.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Very sad.... I came across a great looking MCA box of the Blues. Some really early stuff from the '20's on up. Luckily it was used and I could look in the booklet..... CEDAR used for excellent sound reproduction.

Oh, oh.... were they really heavy handed?

But this version of Tomorrow is probably the only thing that is available, Si? Or are there other options....???

I wonder is Sundazed has done this?

You know what I do? If someone extoles the virtues of a crap remaster, I tell them...:

Yes, you're right. It's pretty clean. But you know how they do that? They actually shave off the high end and bass, replacing it with boosted trebble and bass EQ. If it's not done right, it sounds like crap. All Things Must Pass actually sounds worse than my old vinyl. It was not done right. Very sad.

:D

They actually look at me with their mouths open in astonishment. It's probably the first time they have heard that the "glorified remasters" had something wrong with them!

Try it! You'll like it! Shake their Sales, Sales, Sales world a bit!

:D

4. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member Thread Starter

naw, wasn't Sams...just a second hand store!
    Tomorrow were one of the premier psyche bands along with The Pink Floyd and The Soft Machine. Their record came out a little too late for the whole scene of '67. Steve Howe was the guitarist. The problem is that unless you find a used copy on vinyl,(original Columbia blue/black or Harvest reissue from early seventies ((good luck on these two)) or a reissue on Decal from the 80's) or the cd issue from See For Miles, you're outta luck!!
    (did that make any sense?)

5. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

I feel your pain but I don’t think EMI has mono tapes for the Tomorrow LP anymore. Every re-issue that includes “My White Bicycle” or the other tracks that were not given a stereo mixdown remain in reprocessed stereo on every vinyl and CD reissue I’ve come across. Maybe someday Bob Irwin could search the Amy/Mala vaults and find the mono dubs that were used for the US 45’s.

Listen again the bonus tracks, they are great and the compilation of these tracks especially the solo Twink and Keith West tracks along with the packaging are the only redeeming features of this package.

Is there some digital/noise reduction reason that they can’t combine the reprocessed channels back to mono?

6. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I have the EMI CD and had a Blue/Black Columbia Stereo LP in Mint condition. IMO the CD does not suffer the high frequency truncation normally associated with Mew. In actuality, I did not find it really inferior to the the LP. I sold the LP ($155) after listening to the CD because 1) the CD was a pretty good transfer and 2) Tomorrow is not exactly one of my favorite psych bands. Now if it was a Mono Lp it would have been another story.

7. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Or could that be a "Mewtant"?

8. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Is there ever a time when CEDAR is useful? Serious question. I know in most cases we would much rather have the hiss but I've heard that you'll find an old demo acetate which is unlistenable and CEDAR can make it okay??

I like this. We should all chip away at them and maybe encourage a rethink.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.