Tone Controls, why not!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Phono Groove, Oct 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I got a "set" for you...

2. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

3. DLD

DLD Senior Member

I have them on my Anthem 225 integrated. I rarely set them off neutral. Tried using the tone defeat button, thinking it would "lift a veil" off the music. Nope. Couldn't tell the difference when the controls were in neutral positions.

The Pinhead likes this.
  4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The opposing opinions are based on systems used, room, or just habitual behaviour (compulsive twiddling of knobs). Went through this many years ago and ended up with tone controls bypassed or flat. They change the sound but they don't correct recording deficiencies or room or equipment matching/set up problems. If you lack bass I suggest experiment with speaker positioning, also cartridge set up if using vinyl and check if you use cables that are altering the music (not related to price in most instances). Changing tubes is a bit more controversial and maybe why I stick to SS. Surely a valve amp should be designed to work optimally with the supplied tubes unless there is cost cutting and a tubey sound is all that is aimed for. Equipment should ideally be neutral without introducing fatiguing treble and boomy bass. Subwoofers can help if bass is curtailed but in fact they appear to more improve the mid range and provide a more balanced sound. If you reach for the tone controls something likely needs changing elsewhere in your system or it's set up. Tone controls don't in my experience correct anything wrong in the system or recording effectively and just add more electronics in the signal path. If you buy one of those add on controls there is another cable as well (yet another variable).

Big Blue likes this.
  5. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

That's fine, Doctor. We get it!
    Why the compulsion to keep telling the world that you don't approve of tone controls?
    These long posts must be eating into your quality listening time.

csgreene and Vignus like this.
  6. Neil S. Cohen

Neil S. Cohen You Enjoy Myself

As seems to be the case with everything audio these days, this subject unnecessarily polarizes the masses. The fact is that while poorly implemented tone controls could potentially damage the signal, properly implemented controls can and will tremendously increase your enjoyment of music which, IMHO, depends, more than anything else, on HOW WELL YOUR SYSTEM INTEGRATES INTO YOUR ROOM. So for example, top line Vandersteens (Quattro and up) include an 11 band equalizer in the speaker and a very precise methodology for attaining as near as possible flat in room response. They are not meant to be tweaked Willy Nilly for taste (except the Q for the subwoofer), but to be set to help smooth out the peaks and valleys that are present in most every listening environment. Anyway, suffice it to say that the difference before and after tuning is stunning.

All that being said, this is a hobby intended to give us pleasure. I posit that the only measurement that is important is the width of the smile on your face when you’re listening to music. Do what makes you happy and ignore the bozos who think they can define that for you with ‘science’.

7. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

This thread needs tone contols, too much treble, not enough bass.

crazy eights, bever70 and The Pinhead like this.
  8. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

This Pioneer ad from 1978 gives plenty of good reasons for using tone controls or an equalizer:

[​IMG]

9. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

This needs qualification. My speaker choice leans towards small monitors. I really like the particular audio phenomena associated with small boxes. I also like to gun the bass frequencies with my Loki. I don't feel naughty.

The Pinhead likes this.
  10. dennem

dennem Forum Resident

Perhaps, those who genuinely believe that an audio system can be optimized to sound perfect on every recording only listen to the same music genre from the same era again and again.

But for those of us, who listen to all kinds of music, the reality is it’s just technically impossible to maintain the right amount of bass when you first listen to a new wave album from the 80s and then switch to a modern R’n’b recording, for example. You can tune your speakers/sub to produce perfect clean, punchy bass on the first record, but your room might start shaking and the bass sound distorted on the next one.

11. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist

Or... you put your speakers on wheels

12. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I enjoyed setting up the JDS Labs Subjective3 this weekend. First tone controls in 30 years. I have a tape loop on my pre so it was easy to set up for all sources. I don't even need to use the bypass switch on the Subjective since I can just flip off the tape monitor. The quality of the little unit is very nice indeed. Very sturdy for a little box. The adjustments are very sensitive. Just a little push on any of the bands provides a lot of boost. It really helps my system at lower volume levels with a little bass and treble boost ("Loudness" if you will). I put on a below avg re-issue of Yes Drama and I was able to improve the sound dramatically. Gave it some bass slam and opened up the midrange/guitars. I'm very happy with this little gadget!

The Pinhead and Stuart S like this.
  13. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

That should be built into every receiver, esp car receivers.

The Pinhead likes this.
  14. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Used "judiciously", a equalizer can be a good thing.

The Pinhead and Panama Hotel like this.
  15. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Your argument can be used for either side. I don't want to be messing with an EQ for each album much less different songs, whereas someone else might want to.

The Pinhead, bever70 and Big Blue like this.
  16. dennem

dennem Forum Resident

I wouldn't call turning one knob by 10 degrees "messing". Just a simple gentle adjustment :)

The Pinhead likes this.
  17. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I'd rather press play and get lost in the music than even thinking about knobs. Also, unless the tone knob one has a variable q and the ability to affect a specific frequency, then how can it be effective? Just turning up/down the bass or treble in general simply won't cut it.

Big Blue and Kyhl like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.