'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

The box will be great.. but truthfully it won't necessarily be the best Ornette.

Check out his Atlantic recordings. "The Shape of Jazz to Come" or "This is Our Music" for example.

2. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

Totally agreed. This box (at least from a music point of view, disregarding potential pressing quality, etc.) will be great…but perhaps only for an Ornette fan who has already absorbed and appreciated the first six albums (or so) - and has come to terms with what he was trying to express artistically to the jazz audience of his time. Which, if you are able to be open-minded about it and give it time, was a hugely influential game changer. Well worth exploring.

3. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I don't think anyone claimed that Ornette Colemans's best stuff is on BN. I don't think so, although the Golden Circle recordings are classic. But I think many of us are excited to get the TP treatment for them.

scotti, Dignan2000, mktracy and 7 others like this.
  4. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

My favorite Ornette is Science Fiction.

I really love any Ornette though, even Tone Dialing.

Beauty is a Rare Thing is probably the best overall comp.

I recommended Golden Circle Vol 1 because the other poster was interested in the new box set. If I correctly recall, he doesn't play any trumpet or violin on it, but I could be wrong.

Love Call is my favorite Ornette BN, but I don't know if it's a great recommendation for a first-timer. Dewey Redman's playing is a lot to take in.

I have a Van Gelder first press of Love Call, probably still going to buy the box.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  5. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

The Golden Circle recordings are all I want from BN

Stu02, 420JJJazz666, bresna and 5 others like this.
  6. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

7. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

I get what some people are saying regarding Ornette, about his Atlantic years being the best. I have TSOJTC and really enjoy it; it’s pretty accessible tbh. I’d also like Change Of The History and This Is Our Music but I find most of the others pretty hard to get to grips with. I don’t have this issue with the BN titles; they seem less free which suits me. Perhaps other Ornette ‘virgins’ will concur. Very much looking forward to the boxset.

420JJJazz666, Craig's Story and Gez like this.
  8. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Check out the early Ornette Prime Time legacy. See how you all go with that band and report back here :)

420JJJazz666 likes this.
  9. Chakana

Chakana Forum Resident

Slightly off topic, but I can just make it on topic:
    After sorting by last name of your TPs, do you sort by original release date or recording date? I feel like recording date makes a lot of sense, but then again it ****s me up when the recordings are made over a year or more. My record collection OCD would like some serious replies, thanks. <3

mktracy and trd like this.
  10. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I sort by first name (non-english thing) and recording date. If there are two or more dates, the last is the one that counts.

Fractured, mktracy and trd like this.
  11. Chakana

Chakana Forum Resident

Besides that sort by first name craziness :)laugh:), it really makes sense sorting by the last date. But what if some album is finished in march 1963 and another by the same artist is recorded on march 2nd 1963 (or 31st for that matter)?

12. Mark J

Mark J Senior Member

I used to sort my jazz cds by artist name alphabetically, then by recording date, but it became impossible since so many albums (especially those released years later or with bonus tracks) include multiple recording dates, often months or years apart from each other.

13. Bigdz68

Bigdz68 Forum Resident

Jazz separate by last name alphabetical and then alphabetical by title. If there are multiple artists on release then it just depends on my brain and remembering. I was tempted to put all impulse releases together alphabetically and then tone poets and then classic series but I figured it was too much work to remember what artist was what series. So far it's been working well for the last two years when I reorganized the jazz section.

14. Josquin des Prez

I'm in the process of integrating my BN records all together, no matter where they came from (og, Liberty, EMI Pathe Marconi, MMJ, TP, BN, etc). In any case I organize alphabetically by leader (or band name) first, and then by recording date.

AFA likes this.
  15. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

- TPs - roughly in the order of time since I last listened to each record
    - Other Blue Notes - next to the TPs, but internally unsorted
    - All other jazz, plus some other dear records of other genres - all over the place, but same set of shelves
    - All other music - the storage room

You guys' methods seem more scalable though.... :D

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Spazros likes this.
  16. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Then the one which was finished in March, but with more than 1 date goes first. There's always a way to untie it. And if there's an actual day of recording and not only month, then the day also counts.

Regarding he first name craziness, I guess we stopped doing it when the Yellow Pages stopped being a thing? Or it was never a thing? I honestly don't know.

I don't count bonus tracks towards it since they were not part of the original release. For me, organising by recording date is mainly to organize by artist era. Say Miles for example. Organising by recording date allows me to have all those styles he went through all separated and chronologically ordered.

mktracy and Mark J like this.
  17. Josquin des Prez

I have close to 300 BN titles, so I have to have a logically repeatable system.

18. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

I sort all Blue Note, Impulse, Riverside, Prestige, New Jazz, etc. by catalog number. I think having them in order or when they were released offers a great insight into the label and what was going on during that time. It also helps you to make connections between artist and stylistic changes in the music.

For originally unreleased material like Oblique, New Conception, Passing Ships, etc. etc. I sort those at the very end of my Blue Notes and sort them in order or recording date.

RonaldC, mcwlod, oldjollymon and 5 others like this.
  19. Crazysteve

I do the same thing for Blue Note, I put them all together sorted first by leader and then by release number except for the rare album that I fit in chronologically like Etc. Same goes for impulse, Prestige, Verve, ECM, to name a few. And then same goes for the general jazz collection, and the rest of the collection for that matter.
    As long as you know where to find it - that’s all that matters.

ryu, Spazros and trd like this.
  20. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Exactly! Which is why I'm debating going back to artist alphabetical order vs audiophile label...I can't always remember which label(s) an artist or session is on. But having my MMJs and TPs on the top shelves looks damn good :cool:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Thom Lieb and Crazysteve like this.
  21. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Are you saying that Portuguese Yellow Pages alphabetized by first name? Now that I think about it, since in the US at least the Yellow Pages was solely for businesses (and the White pages was for individuals), first and last names wouldn't be a factor in the Yellow Pages. But I'm thinking that for medical practices and other business that would primarily be a person's name, I think we always alphabetized by last names first. That was not the case in Portugal?

22. Crazysteve

I love seeing those original gems interspersed though with the great blue note reissues.

bluejimbop and timzigs like this.
  23. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I tend to do this when I have more than a handful of jazz LP releases on a label (as with Blue Note, Prestige, and Impulse). For example, for Blue Note reissues, I put Music Matters and Tone Poets together and organize strictly by catalog number. For jazz artists outside of those label collections, I alphabetize by artist and then approximate date (usually release date, but I may guestimate an approximate recording date if the release came many years after recording. For CDs, on the other hand, I don't organize by label and just go by artist first, approximate date second.

24. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Spun Introducing Kenny Burrell today.

Then I played the Tal Farlow album 'Tal,' (Verve) which was recorded the same year. I highly recommend this one, for any fans of the Kenny Burrell debut. Clean originals are not expensive - I got mine a few years ago in about as good a shape as one could hope for, for a non-sealed 65 year-old record, for $20.

It was a "deep groove" release, so it weighs about the same as a Tone Poet...

25. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I'm in my 30s so those phone books stopped being around kinda early for me. But yeh, Yellow Pages for businesses and White Pages for individuals (had totally forgotten about the distinction). And what I meant was that I've never seen us, Portuguese, sorting names by surname first unless on the White Pages (not Yellow). The White Pages were obviously arranged by last name, I think it made sense. But that was the only thing that I remember that worked like that over here. For example, in forms, first name is always asked first. Lists of names are always "First name Surname" (ex.: John Smith and not Smith, John). We never organized names like that afaik unless on the phone books.

uzn007 and NorthNY Mark like this.