'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

They were originally released on Riverside.

2. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

They have the rights to release the albums that they bought using the original artwork.
    Just tried to work out what titles they were and I think this is the list
    Adderley & The Poll Winners RLP355
    Cannonball's Bossa Nova RM 455
    Cannonball In Europ RM 499
    Jazz Workshop Revisited RLP 444
    At The Lighthouse RLP 344
    Them Dirty Blues RLP 322

Which is 6, I can't find a 7th.

mktracy and Dubmart like this.
  3. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

from the Music Direct 2022 catalog. evidently the 2xLP bit is a misprint.

[​IMG]

mktracy, Dignan2000, Elofan and 6 others like this.
  4. Steely Don

Steely Don Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing. Streamed a few of those and really enjoy the Joe Pass. Here’s hoping for quartarly 4 packs of TP releases for 2022.

CBackley and Swann36 like this.
  5. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

I am really hoping that some records by Don Pullen/Adams Pullen Quartet are considered for the Tone Poet treatment. wouldn't't it fit perfectly?! One can hope, at least. First of all "New Beginnings" or "Breakthrough" (both digitally sourced, though) or the other two (or all in a nice Boxset :))!

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

6. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

New Beginnings is an incredible album

7. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

I chanced upon the vinyl, used, years ago, in Urban Outfitters of all places. They were selling new and used vinyl alongside their clothing.

Dean R and mr.dave like this.
  8. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I would not lie -some controversy surrounding this release prompt me to purchase this record by Andrew Hill.
    I am glad I did - regardless of sound issues, some compositions (such as title one and some others) are magnificent. Just beautiful.
    I listened it on medium compliance cart, pricey Grado Lineage Statement3 mounted on 12 inch Jelco 850L. While great sounding it is not known as "super tracker", but I heard none of the issues mentioned here. In fact, I think recording is spectacular. Once or twice I heard some overload distortions on sax, very minor and not unheard of on many older recordings (but a bit more rare on the ones of this vintage). Other then that it is just awesome, "I am in a room" stuff.

NorthNY Mark, Kimiimacman and mktracy like this.
  9. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

Nice cartridge! I own a Reference2 (LO) on a Jelco, and while I've lusted after the Statement, am very happy with what I have.

Like you, I've had no problems with "Passing Ships". I've often run into mic overloads on RVG recordings, and don't attribute them to mastering.

10. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

The BN ad in the Jan 2022 Downbeat has the Ornette featured/pictured, but just gives a shoutout to the TPs as a series and doesn't mention any particular ones much less give a release date.

11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Yes, very nice idea. Some fine music there.

mr.dave likes this.
  12. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Any other Hank Mobley - Slice Of The Top fans? Would love a TP. Between this and Hi-Voltage I think I’m a much bigger fan of his work in this period than earlier on during sessions like Curtain Call

Vic Trola, Hershiser, mktracy and 4 others like this.
  13. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I love Slice of the Top, apparently Hank was quite hurt that it wasn't issued til years later ('rainbow series').

14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

This would make an amazing Tone Poet. You can thank me later :D

15. aoxomoxoa

Looks like a good round. I already have an original Ruff & Tumble, but I am sure I will "upgrade" to the TP . Why so many Stanley Turrentine titles in this series? I mean, I shouldn't complain but it seems a little odd when there are artists that still haven't been represented in the series.
    And that Ornette Box is making me drool.

mktracy and NorthNY Mark like this.
  16. NorthernFusion

NorthernFusion There's some fear in letting go...

All in for the Ornette boxset, should be fantastic.

Actually, I'm in for every TP release, given up previewing albums at this point. :laugh:

TheIncredibleHoke and AFA like this.
  17. PabloFanques

PabloFanques Forum Resident

Is most of Coleman's stuff free jazz? Happy about the Mobley release though!

18. Matadore

Matadore Forum Resident

+1

And - why not - I'll share my TP wishlist, just in case Santa is watching the thread ;-)

• Donald Byrd - A New Perspective
    • Donald Byrd - Mustang
    • Kenny Dorham & Jackie McLean - Inta Somethin' (Pacific Jazz)
    • Grant Green - Green Is Beautiful
    • Lee Morgan - City Lights
    • Lee Morgan - Delightfulee
    • Duke Pearson - Profile
    • Duke Pearson - Tender Feelin's
    • Duke Pearson - The Right Touch
    • Duke Pearson - Sweet Honey Bee
    • Freddie Roach - Good Move!
    • Lonnie Smith - Turning Point
    • Lonnie Smith - Drives

19. ETSEQ

ETSEQ Forum Resident

Yes, but there is wide variability in how accessible it is. "Free jazz" includes blowing without any preset chord changes and only a loose adherence to tempo and time signature, which could end up fairly accessible and easy to enjoy. And free jazz also includes total noise and chaos. Ornette's stuff runs the gamut.

20. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Unfortunately, the master for Sweet Honey Bee is missing. But I think some (many?) of these titles are safe bets in future years. Also, I think we'll see some Big John Patton; there's been some discussion here about him these past couple days.

Matadore likes this.
  21. aoxomoxoa

Always wondered about Sweet Honey Bee. Sounds like digital reverb on the reissue LP. Anyone know about this?

22. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Supposedly, the master tapes of Pearson's "Sweet Honey Bee" and Horace Silver's "The Jody Grind" are recordings of an original LP playback (needle drops). Cuscuna searched high & low for the actual masters several times without success. Maybe Joe Harley and his team can find it in some dark corner or stuffed into a mislabeled box? :)

Hank mentioned two dates that he claimed Blue Note wouldn't put out in an interview he did for Downbeat in 1973. One session sounds a bit like "Thinking of Home". To quote, “I wrote a whole movie in Paris. It was about the French-Algerian war, and I wrote Algerian music and French music, back and forth. Then I came back and recorded it for Blue Note, and they didn’t put it out". The Suite on "Thinking of Home" maybe/sorta fits the bill on the French-Algerian War thing but not quite.

The other session he mentions is, “The best thing I ever did is the brass ensemble record they won’t put out.” (A Blue Note date.) “It features tenor with two trumpets. French horn, James Spaulding on alto, two trombones, baritone horn and tuba". Maybe he means "A Slice of the Top" here, but there is no French Horn, only one trumpet and no trombones at all.

23. aoxomoxoa

Interesting.
    Still doesn't explain what sounds like digital reverb on the eighties reissue.

Guess I'll hang on to my original Jody Grind!

24. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

The last one sounds like something that has yet to be released in any format ever before. I would love a proper issue of that date in the future, especially considering the fact that Hank considers it the best thing he ever did.

mktracy likes this.
  25. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I'm listening my RVG CD of Pearson's "Sweet Honey Bee" and it has the ubiquitous plate reverb common of RVGs late 60's work. It's similar to what he did on Herbie Hancock's "The Prisoner". Rudy liked that hefty reverb sound of the EMT140.
    [​IMG]

Jcashfan likes this.