'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Agree 100%. Joe has unearthed some real gems that might not have seen the light of day otherwise.

mktracy, Anselmo, scotti and 6 others like this.
  2. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

While Evolution may be off limits, I'd love a Some Other Stuff Tone Poet!!

Vic Trola, wellers73, Dai and 7 others like this.
  3. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

I was one of the early dissenters re: disqualifying previous MMJ's from TP treatment.
    Now with the Classic Series covering some MMJ's, and the dearth of ASV, / Prestige / Contemporary / Craft reissues on the horizon, I am quite prepared to switch camps. Let Joe plumb the darkest corners - especially of Decca / Liberty / Pacific and United. Classic will no doubt get to the OOP blue note heavy hitters. By the end of 2023, anybody with a reasonable income with have been able to amass a world class jazz collection.

4. 420JJJazz666

Any more Sam Rivers reissues would be sick. I really want a Fuchsia Swan Song BNC!!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    mcwlod and trd like this.
  5. 420JJJazz666

Glad you at least gave it a chance!!

Briskit likes this.
  6. 420JJJazz666

Re: the MMJ vs Tone Poet debate, I don't care much. If I can get an older AAA pressing for cheaper than the MMJ, I'll just deal with it.

Whatever, I'll settle for a Liberty or a black-label BN, especially if it's an avant garde thing that may not have much interest.

When I bought my Cecil Taylor Blue Notes, I bought whatever was available. Ended up with first pressings, but that was just what I could find on ebay at that time.

I'm probably in the minority here with this.

If there's a cheap(ish) reissue with AAA sound, great, I'll get that. That said, if MMJ had a title in print I was after at the time, I would jump on it. Really just depends.

mktracy, Gdgray and NorthNY Mark like this.
  7. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Just put in a preorder for the Ornette set. I have to admit to having some mixed feelings about it, but want to support the release of more of the "out"-leaning titles in high quality AAA masterings. I'm wondering if any of the forum posters with insight into Joe's thinking know why this is being released as a boxed set, rather than just releasing the albums individually over time, like with other artists. Is it because he's worried about a significant group of folks who tend to buy all Tone Poet releases just because they're Tone Poets, but who might return titles if they are too "out," and he figures keeping these in an expensive box would limit purchases to those who know what they are getting?

8. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

No question. It’s absolutely great what is happening with the BNC series.

DavidJ likes this.
  9. I think most folks who are really into Ornette are all into him. Releasing these individually could be more of a gamble for some of the titles sales wise. A box set makes it a one shot sale.

10. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I'm not sure they're worried about returns so much as not getting repeat customers. Some of the "all the Tone Poets" folk would probably just buy the first OC title and then abstain from the others. If BN ultimately sell less albums with the box, they can probably more accurately gauge how many sets to produce. And they might not even sell less - some people already knew that they were in for only1 or 2 these OC titles might now buy the whole box to get them.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  11. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

I see the Tone Poet series as an effort not unlike the Mosaic box sets- they are filling out a he Blue Note catalog with previously hard to get recordings and/or under appreciated titles.

I had or have a number of the main catalog titles on earlier pressings (many originals) long before MMJ started up, so I’m good with those even though I missed a few MMJ’s along the way. This series has filled so many gaps for me! Katanga! was the only Curtis Amy record I didn’t have, for instance.

mktracy, timzigs, Spazros and 2 others like this.
  12. kt66brooklyn

I’m in!

Mazzy likes this.
  13. Me too I skipped the Lighthouse vinyl box (which sold out) and went with the CD version instead which in the end was the right choice for me. The Ornette box is different. These are great records even though I prefer his Atlantic output

14. Jeffrey Weiss

Jeffrey Weiss Forum Resident

Correct. He reiterated this point on his recent 3-part interview with Ken Mcalliff. Basically he has more than enough new stuff to keep him busy for the rest of his years so he has no desire to recreate the wheel.

15. Jeffrey Weiss

Jeffrey Weiss Forum Resident

I wouldn’t be surprised if the BNCs are actually more profitable than the TPs. If so it makes sense that any MMJ repeats will be BNC instead of TP.

mktracy, brimuchmuze and kt66brooklyn like this.
  16. kt66brooklyn

I also went with the Lee Morgan CD set, mostly because I’ll listen to a completist set like that in my car.

For Ornette, I’m interested in what they might be able to do with the Golden Circle records. They don’t have RVG’s snap crackle and pop because they were recorded overseas- they might really benefit from the Tone Poet treatment.

trd and Mazzy like this.
  17. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Still waiting on my Lighthouse vinyl box from amazon.
    Any...day...now...:sigh:

Mazzy likes this.
  18. Peterr

Peterr Forum Resident

Just like the Blakey,

What’s keepin Universal/Blue Note back to release a, Blue Train.
    in A gatefold pressed at Rti/pallas/Qrp/Optimal….
    They can also make excellent covers ( look at Sam releases)
    Would be the best selling Jazz reissue of the Year. Don’t get it
    Grtz. Peter

19. Ste_S

Ste_S Forum Resident

I would of thought he'd have wanted his work to be heard by as many people as possible, not just a small number of collectors in the US? I don't think anyone is asking him to stop bringing some more obscure titles to light, just to occasionally revisit some of the MMJ titles so they get a wider audience.

20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I went that way as well. I was fortunate to get my Lighthouse CD box for free because of an Amazon shipping issue and enjoy it very much. But this set can get repetitive after a while and did not feel the need to shell out that kind of money for the vinyl version.

Now the Ornette Coleman Tone Poet box is a complete different story for me. I couldn't place my order quick enough yesterday and got a sense of satisfaction and happiness when I saw my order was locked in. The little things in life like this bring a smile to my face and hearing others that are getting it as well. Of course like most, those two Stockholm titles are the ones I'm looking forward to the most.

Back to MMJ talk...what would be really cool to see is that some other type of series is created for some of the more coveted titles or maybe an alternative BNC one priced a bit higher with the classy gatefolds and pressed at RTI. Seems like a simple solution...

darkscarf, mr.dave, CBackley and 8 others like this.
  21. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I’ve been a BN fan for 25 years but I draw the line at free jazz. I might have taken a chance at one album but on a box set? No way.

Korato69, Biff Jones and Matadore like this.
  22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

If they went down a similar route as the Disc Unions, attempting to replicate originals closely, laminated sleeves, RTI or QRP pressings they wouldn't be treading on Joe's or MM's toes and would be appealing to a different market to the Classics, also many of us would like some mono reissues done properly, oh well I can dream.

Kimiimacman, mktracy and Briskit like this.
  23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I think they'd have done okay with a TP or two of Golden Circle, but I think Ornette would have been declining sales after that so the box is a smart move, fans get all the titles and it doesn't interfere with the TP series as a whole.

24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Can absolutely appreciate that. His music (Free Jazz) can be a required taste and respect that many hard core Jazz fans can't warm up to music like this. It will be interesting to see how sales are with this down the line. I still say releasing this as a box set was the best choice though...

25. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

Preordered the Ornette Coleman boxset via Amazon.de. A no brainer to me, although I already own the contents on vinyl and/or CD. Over the years I’ve developed a deep love for his music and adventurous spirit.