'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

2. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I love the slow blues track, "Phil T. McNasty's Blues". Of course, I love most slow blues tunes done by Jazz artists.

Jcashfan, Ronnieb and mktracy like this.
  3. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

In preparation for the TP box set later this month, I started working my way through my other Ornette Coleman LPs. This morning, I dropped the needle on my Speakers Corner reissue of The Shape of Jazz to Come. I just flipped to side B and needed to express how much I love this record. Each song on side A makes me think, “this is my favorite track on the record.” Then the next one comes on and I think, “no, this is my favorite.”

Aegir, pianomaniac, mackeyse and 16 others like this.
  4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

You can't take any notice of Vinyl-House sold prices, they get a huge premium, especially on higher end items where a factor of two, three or even more times market value isn't unusual. Sure when they sell something I own for crazy money it makes me feel good, £3,239 for "Soul Station" being a recent example, but even though my copy appears to be better I know I couldn't get anywhere near that price, not that I'd sell it any way. They do sell some very nice records though, even if you have to be very on the ball about which pressing they have.

mktracy likes this.
  5. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

how come they get such a premium? large following?

6. Hulloder

Hulloder Forum Resident

I finally picked up the Tone Poet of McCoy Tyner’s ‘Expansions’….I previously only had the BN75 pressing which was actually fine, but I’m glad I made the upgrade as this sounds great. It’s funny, all the talk of Village Vanguard on the Impulse thread and there are some parts of this that are very reminiscent of that great Coltrane band (as it should with Tyner and Carter). ‘Song of Happiness’ mines the same vein - just an incredible band with Shorter, Bartz and Woody Shaw, that’s one amazing horn line up right there.

2 tangential points:
    McCoy Tyner was incredible through the 60s on Bluenote and even better through the 70s on Milestone. I own a whole bunch of his records and I have yet to find one that I don’t like, especially the Milestone stuff. He could do it all - trio outfit, large band, out, in, ballads.

Gary Bartz doesn’t get enough love - I’m a big fan of the stuff he did as Gary Bartz NTU troop and recommend any of those Milestone and Prestige releases from the early to mid 70s. Of course, he also played on a bunch of Tyner’s 70s stuff as well - Cosmos, Sama Layuca, Asante - and is a highlight of those sets too.

7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm not sure how large, but it's a following with plenty of disposable income who obviously trust Vinyl-House to have nice condition rare Jazz and Classical albums and can't be bothered to take their chances elsewhere, there are a few US Jazz sellers who get a similar premium, likewise sellers in other genres.

8. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

Just listened to a live trio thing with McCoy and Ron and Tony. just great.

mktracy and Hulloder like this.
  9. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

Yes, I am wondering why?! Big fan myself. Missed a Juju street original on eBay (was sold for 51 EUR + shipping, retrospectively not too bad. My sniper was loaded with 40something).

420JJJazz666 likes this.
  10. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Thank you for providing your comparison of My Conception (and I hope you recover nicely from the booster although it's a nice excuse to sit back with some great-sounding jazz :)). Your comment about the piano is interesting, and have also found some of my Kings and older BNs have a brighter, more distinct-like piano quality than those from Kevin Gray. I seem to recall some discussion a while back on the MMJ thread about this...that maybe EQ choices highlight some instruments at the expense of others. Gray's piano, while being full and exhibiting depth, seems more recessed and lighter on top with some recordings. Curious to hear anyone else's thoughts on this, and which mastering might be the more "natural" state as it relates to the piano.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    mktracy and ausgraeme like this.
  11. Jcashfan

Jcashfan Forum Resident

Doug had a 7 foot tall upright acoustic bass (made in Czech) which led to his "big" sound.

mktracy and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  12. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Just checking in to see what’s going on. Amazon confirmed today that I should get my Ornette order on release day.

Meanwhile, my turntable has checked out of jazz for a bit and we’re spinning from the classical side of my wall of vinyl. I just put on my Decca pressing of Lorin Maazel/Cleveland Orchestra performing the complete Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet ballet. What a terrific performance and recording. What a great composition! The percussion fff just scared the **** out of my big rottie boy Brahms. LOL

mktracy, Spazros, wellers73 and 5 others like this.
  13. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

The shape of jazz that never came… cause it morphed to soul funk jazz instead…

:D:D

I’m excited for the box set too!

14. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

There’s a surreal beauty to this record despite it being so “out there” for it’s time. I picked up the Speakers Corner version recently and it really does the music justice.

trd, mktracy, Dai and 3 others like this.
  15. JoFr

JoFr Fine fine music

Great, great album. But don’t forget when you flip to side B you actually will hear side A, due to the pressing mistake of this SC (or do you have a correct version)? Anyhow, either way you can’t lose!

mktracy, Dai and YouCantWin like this.
  16. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Jcashfan, ryu, mktracy and 3 others like this.
  17. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

LOL, I have a later pressing with the correct sides.

JoFr, this_machine and bruinuclafan like this.
  18. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Some people just have too much money.

Elofan, PabloFanques and Kimiimacman like this.
  19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Anyone else get an email update from Amazon regarding the delivery date for the Ornette Coleman box set? Got one last night that now says arriving on street 1/28. Sounds to me that they got their allocation already. Very nice indeed!

Bigdz68 likes this.
  20. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I pre-ordered Joe Pass' For Django but the price is still stuck at $55+. Let's hope that the price drops significantly before it shipped out.

Same deal for Stanley Turrentine's Rough 'N Tumble LP: https://www.amazon.ca/Rough-Tumble-Blue-Note-Vinyl/dp/B09NMF8M68/

mktracy and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  21. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I jumped on Rough 'N Tumble at the low low price of $49.98, I just can't see this being that price at a local shop once it's released but who knows.

22. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Wait. What? I just got this album. There was a defect?

Is SC doing Free Jazz also? I thought I had a pre-order at one point but then canceled it after I picked up the Atlantic box set.

this_machine and bruinuclafan like this.
  23. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Also got my notice of release day delivery for Ornette. Also noticed i got it for 221.99 and the price on Amazon is back up to list at 229.99

24. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

Yep and it’s out. I highly recommend it!

trd and CBackley like this.
  25. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Thanks! Have you compared it to the recent Atlantic reissue?

bruinuclafan likes this.