'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

How is the sound quality on the My Favorite Things set? Im especially interested in knowing how the mono lp sounds.

2. I don’t know, I haven’t heard it. I would be interested to hear people’s thoughts that do, though.

Kimiimacman, Jcashfan and mpayan like this.
  3. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I have and posted my thoughts on the designated thread last night.

It's fantastic! In my opinion I would take it over the stereo version hands down. I'm not knocking the stereo version though, but to hear Coltrane so centered in on the mono version, so nice! Plus this new mono master done by KG still breathes a bit allowing Tyner's piano to open up still and just add to the overall experience you get here. Who cares if the jacket is not a gatefold, it's still decent and includes a really nice booklet with awesome pictures and notes. This new 60th celebration is well worth the price if only getting it for the mono LP and booklet. Ever so happy to add it to my JC collection. A must have in my opinion. Wait until you here the song MFT this way, wow! For what its worth, to my ears a digital step was used though.

I have the ORG 45 stereo version and will do a comparison of that and the new version this weekend.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  5. Yeah, the mono is my preferred mix for sure, personally. I probably won’t pick up the new set, because I have phenomenal copies of both the mono and stereo already, but it’s a bit tempting just to hear the differences when they are mastered by the same engineer. There are just too many other records to buy than to double/triple (in the case of the stereo) dip here for me.

scotti likes this.
  6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

What mono version do you have, an original or did you treat yourself to the very affordable ERC one? It will be interesting to compare the new stereo version to the ORG 45 though...

7. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Another one added to the list. I have the 90s AAA Stereo Box set but never got the mono box set from a few years back. I might need to check this one out. Are the others in this Coltrane series this good.

8. ERC mono, 70s Piros cut stereo, and the ORG stereo.

I’m not the biggest fan of the ORG Coltrane Atlantic releases they did, but this one is quite good IMO. I just much prefer the mono mix.

I have heard some negative things about the original mono, but have never heard one. Our host is not a fan of the original mono, based on some of his comments on the forum. I think prior to the ERC and this new release, the Japanese SACD was the preferred mono release by many around these parts. But for us vinyl-philes I think a KG cut, digital step or not, is looking like the best option without shelling out for the ERC.

I would certainly be interested to hear others opinions who have some different mono releases and have compared.

mktracy, CBackley and timzigs like this.
  9. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

You lucky guy! Just spoke with Joe and the new KG of My Favorite Things both the stereo and mono versions are indeed AAA. He saw the tapes Kevin used. No wonder it sound so damn good!

10. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I was interested in some of those ORG Atlantic Coltrane releases (except for Ole Coltrane due to the track splitting). Was the sound quality not the best?

11. haynk

haynk Forum Resident

bam! ...just ordered. was just waiting for the light to turn green -- thanks scotti !!

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  12. Jcashfan

Jcashfan Forum Resident

A little post @scotti birthday dedication spin today. This one swings like a m/f er.
    [​IMG]

RonaldC, avanti1960, Swann36 and 2 others like this.
  13. thecomposer10

thecomposer10 Forum Resident

Just picked up For Django, Tender Moments, Out of the Blue, and Tippin’ the Scales from my local shop. I think these are some of my favorite titles from this series.

indyalden, timzigs, garrincha and 4 others like this.
  14. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I give up. My second copy is also garbage. Between this and the Miles UHQR debacle I have lost my faith in QRP.

15. Josquin des Prez

I listened to the mono of My Favorite Things and it sounds great. I listened to a little of the stereo mix, and I don’t think it bothers me as much as it does others. I have been to live jazz quartets that have similar staging. Anyway, I’ll give the stereo mix a complete listen later on. Right now I’m playing the Monk/Blakey. I think the jury is out on whether there is a digital transfer in there, but so so far I like what I hear. The music is amazing. My only other copy of this is an old Warner/Atlantic reissue from the 70s.

16. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

On Syd Schwartz’s (@Sydster) Instagram post today about Sam Rivers’ Contours, Joe Harley said expect more Sam Rivers.

17. Josquin des Prez

On Blue Note I have an old reissue of Dimensions and Extensions, as well as one of those 70s BN Reissue Series two-fers Involution, which is essentially Dimensions and Extensions, plus Andrew Hill’s Change ( 1966). Then there’s A New Conception from 1966. I’d like to see the latter, since I don’t have that in any form. I think I have everything else he did on BN.

NorthNY Mark and Mark J like this.
  18. Josquin des Prez

I give a thumbs up to the new Monk/Blakey reissue. I just finished listening to all four sides. The records sound great. The music is great. The price is right. What’s not to like?

19. Jcashfan

Jcashfan Forum Resident

Anyone happen to get that new Evans At The Montreux Jazz Festival (Anagram) pressing btw ?

20. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Someone on the 60th Anniversary My Favorite Things thread said that it wasn't good and it would be better to spend the money on the AP pressing. I haven't cracked the Blakey / Monk open yet, but Josquin des Prez just said upthread that it was good. He seems to have pretty discerning ears.

Edit.. I'm mistaken... they said the Blakey/Monk was pretty good, but not as good as the Coltrane

They bashed the Evans pressing from Anagram.

mktracy and Jcashfan like this.
  21. Jcashfan

Jcashfan Forum Resident

much obliged

22. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I had to re-edit my previous post. The poster gave a favorable nod to the Blakey/Monk.

23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

If the new stereo/mono AAA KG version is any indication of what lies ahead with the Tone Poet release of "Blue Train", we are going to be in for something special. I just compared the new stereo of MFT to the ORG 45 stereo yesterday and the KG topped it. I still prefer the new mono, but the stereo turned out fantastic as well. The soundstage sounds just fine for what it is.

Posted here just in case some won't visit the new thread.

24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

That sucks! I just listened to my copy last night and it sounded great. No issues and I now am more impressed with the sound than I was before. Such a killer record! "+11"

25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Good. How about we get "Dimensions And Extenstions" or "A New Conception" instead of another lower tier title here in 4 months.