'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Yeah, but there is no sense in tryin to get a good copy more than twice. Apparently, they got a bad batch, and I don't want a third copy of the same problem. My AP45 will do.

mikemoon and bruinuclafan like this.
  2. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

and it’s kind of a shame since my Genesis of Genius are top shelf.

3. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I am in Ottawa, Canada today, and want to give a shout out to The Record Centre who have a great selection of Tone Poets and Blue Note Classic titles, plus some other audiophile stuff. A wonderful store (actually two stores, one across the street from the other).

4. Jcashfan

Jcashfan Forum Resident

Listening to Freddie Roach Down To Earth yesterday and today. A good vinyl rip from a friend as a vinyl copy alludes me due to price but hoping, perhaps we might see a BNC one day.

[​IMG]

5. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Nice to hear! I have the Analog Spark KG AAA cut so I may not double dip here. Glad to see another quality release with value!

Even pressed by GZ that so many fear.

6. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Same, we got lucky I guess.

I've been very pleased with their represses of Prestige series but some of those are also coming from RTI.

It seems all these plants have there ups and downs.

scotti likes this.
  7. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I hear you regarding a bad batch (+11), especially from Amazon. I got my copy from my local store the week it was released and happy as can be with it. I did get the new Chuck Berry release of "Concerto In B Goode" along with My Favorite Things this past Friday from Amazon and fortunately MFT was good all around, but I have never seen a more dish warped record in my life before than the Chuck Berry. I mean this was so badly warped all I could do was laugh. Even if you use a ring (which I know you do) this record was so bad that it would have shot the ring into orbit on the first rotation, and I'm not exaggerating one bit. Going back and getting a refund. I did get my copy of "Genesis of Genius" yesterday and enjoyed the heck out of it, both records are close to perfect.

My Tone Poet selections this week will make up of titles that are not in my upper tier club. I decided to give the records I liked, but was not knocked out by, another good listen. First up is "Mr. Shing-A-Ling" injected with Lonnie Smith's organ and featuring a drummer I'm quite fond of, Leo Morris (Idris Muhammad). I will go into this one just expecting a fun time and will see if I raise it up a notch. My second choice this afternoon will be Gil Evans "New Bottle, Old Wine" which lies somewhere near the bottom of my rankings. I like it, but not a record I hardly ever reach for. So with open ears I will listen and hope for the best.

17 more to go before the 700 club, can only hope for the best, it won't be easy but it should be a fun ride...

8. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

Hi Gabe (and everyone else), I keep seeing references to Ornette Coleman, wasn't sure what that meant but now I see this was the box set I heard some rumbling about a while back, is that correct? How is it? I haven't heard much about it, I am guessing you would need to be a OC fan to get into it. Find it a bit strange that there was so much grief for the Morgan set of 12 records at the same price of the 6 record set. Thanks!

9. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

The Lee Morgan set was $350.00 MSRP, now it's much more on the secondary market. Not sure there was grief on the pricing, the biggest gripe I heard was most just didn't need 12 LPs from a single 3-night performance.

I tried to get it for $230.00 Amazon drop but it got cancelled.

Honestly, both sets are nice values. Not cheap though.

10. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

The Coleman set has been hovering at $202 on Amazon for awhile now - IMO a good enough value if one likes the albums, but I expect the Amazon price to drop even more, as the stock keeps sitting around.

mikemoon likes this.
  11. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

It's a box set of every album Ornette Coleman recorded for Blue Note. His own leader dates, plus Jackie McLean's New and Old Gospel. It's the first and, so far, only box set in the Tone Poet series. (NB: I don't know if any further box sets are planned for the Tone Poet series.)

Aeryn Sun, trd, CBackley and 2 others like this.
  12. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I've noticed that and a good place to snag it. I got it from Elusive Disc $230.00 (10% off + no tax + free shipping). I like to support them when I can and I know they package well at all time.s

mktracy and Swordsandchains like this.
  13. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Because of the discussion earlier, I pulled out my CD copy of Pharoh Sanders, Kharma. I must have had an accident I forgot about. Dirt, powder on it. So scratched all over. Like dropped on the cement and run over. Cleaned it. It plays all the way through. F in amazing. Good sound on my issue too. Such a great record. Can’t believe it plays.

rcsrich and Dean R like this.
  14. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

It plays, but it must be full of nasty surface noise! Oh wait...

scotti, bjlefebvre, mktracy and 4 others like this.
  15. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Let’s hear it for error correction, eh? :D

scotti, Greenalishi and ETSEQ like this.
  16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Call me crazy excited, let the 10 day countdown begin for "Breaking Point!"

17. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

I am revisiting Cornbread this morning. Great record to get the day going.

rcsrich, flatsix-, Trifonius and 6 others like this.
  18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Every time I see someone give a shoutout to "Cornbread" it puts me in the mood to spin it. Hope you don't mind if I take your lead.

And my off topic rant for the day, would someone please get around to releasing Dwight Yoakam's awesome record "This Time" on vinyl. If this ends up coming out via VMP, I think I will lose it. Of course I have total respect for that company, but just saying...KG, Bellman, RKS, come on now. I hardly ever listen to country music unless it's of the 'Outlaw" nature, but that album is incredible!

Hank, fitzrik, flatsix- and 6 others like this.
  19. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Most of VMP's Country Record Of The Month titles are mastered by RKS... plus I'm sure if you asked nicely someone could grab it for you and ship it your way.

scotti likes this.
  20. Blurry

Blurry Forum Resident

bluemooze, Bebopper, scotti and 3 others like this.
  21. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Bebopper and scotti like this.
  22. sfwya

sfwya Jazzhead

scotti, mktracy, Briskit and 3 others like this.
  23. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

Back in the days Nigeria was my gateway title for the Tone Poet series.
    Someone’s unwanted gift I purchased SS/Mint for a mere €12,50.
    I currently own 35 TPs, but Nigeria is still one of my favorites.

24. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Think this fits this discussion. I just listened too Gregory Porter s , All Rise. F in amazing. I had his earlier album. Dig him. His songwriting is so cool. Hard to pigeonhole. But, I think? , this would appeal musically or in some way. Definitely a statement. Not nostalgia, but informed by the past. Orchestration but not syrup. Kinda easy kinda not. I don’t know. I dig it highly recommended.

Heard him on PBS years ago. Knew he was something. But not in your face. Subtle. I got this cause it was on sale. So happy. Now I wanna see him live. Guy has personality if nothin else. Sample the stuff. You might like it :)

25. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

I'm something of a fan. But the photo on his recent album is bizarre. There's one of him in a pool in a full suit.

Greenalishi likes this.