'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Blue Note store is a very painful experience. I don’t like them and typically look elsewhere.

patient_ot and Aura like this.
  2. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

It absolutely was the plan, no doubt about it. Give them only enough so they’ll also need to purchase this one. The outtakes on this set were somewhat useless in my opinion and I usually love outtakes. I do actually really like the booklet as part of the jacket for the semi-uniqueness of it.

3. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

No. I think it’s perfect the way it came (I bought both).

I finally listened to the stereo version (not the outtakes) and I think it sounds fantastic. Likely, the best BT I have ever heard. I’ll listen to the mono next, but I just don’t see it being better over the stereo. Listening to it makes me feel like I’m at the session. It makes me pine for the new cartridge I ordered. LOL

4. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

I agree with many that Udiscover is a painful vendor to buy from. I returned an unopened record 8/19 and it took them roughly a month to refund my card. Several follow up emails and no CS ph#.

Can't imagine what will happen if I need to return a defective vinyl some day.

Probably my last order with them after Train delivers. Not worth the savings for the hassle.

5. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Speaking of Grant Green…just finished up listening to the new Julian Lage record on Blue Note, great album. Frisell even makes appearances for all you lovers of his. $20 well spent

PATB, rcsrich, Lamus and 4 others like this.
  6. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I don't think Lee needed to show anyone up or prove anything. The fact that Coltrane is playing with him is validation enough. Lee was the man, even as a teenager. Clifford Brown was Lee's personal tutor in his youth. When you start out like that, you're basically destined for greatness. If you listen closely, you'll hear Brownie in Lee's early playing.

Here's the thing, even though Lee was only 19 when Blue Train was recorded, he was already a veteran on the band stand. He may have been "up-and-coming" as an artist, but he was well known regionally. By this time, he had half a dozen records as a leader under his belt. Where Lee built his chops was by playing gigs. He took up trumpet at 13 and was already playing clubs by 15. He went head to head with Sonny Stitt at 15 in a jam session. He may have been a teenager, but he was already tried, tested, and proven. Lee and Trane already had history together as they were in Philadelphia in the 50s.

Basically, Philadelphia is responsible for a lot of things that happened in jazz. It was like the nucleus that connected players from Detroit, NYC, Newark, Pittsburgh, and other east coast cities. There's a long list of incredible players from Philly, including Coltrane himself who moved to Philly from North Carolina in his teens. His cousin Mary Lyerly Alexander followed suit and moved to Philly shortly after. After Coltrane served in the navy during World War II, he bought a house in Philadelphia thanks to the G.I. Bill. Mary and her mom moved in with him. Coltrane wrote "Cousin Mary" on Giant Steps in her honor. She was a tireless advocate for Coltrane in the Philadelphia area until her death a few years ago. Coltrane's mother also lived with him.

Funny thing, Coltrane's mother's name was Alice. So there was already an Alice Coltrane before he met his 2nd wife. By the mid 50s, Coltrane was pretty much freelancing, until he got the call to join Miles with another Philadelphia great Philly Joe Jones, along with Paul Chambers who was originally from Pittsburgh (though raised in Detroit), but was also in Philly. Basically, all these guys knew each other and what connects them is Philadelphia. Lee was one of the Philly cats. He was in the mix and everyone knew his capabilities. The likes of Art Blakey and Dizzy Gillespie don't come knocking if you don't have that fire.

In this picture below from 1955 at a gig in Atlantic City, NJ posted by the McCoy Tyner estate on twitter some time ago, you can see a 16 or 17 yr old Lee Morgan with a 16 0r 17 yr McCoy Tyner. On bass is the unsung Spanky DeBrest who is around 17. The old man in the crew is Tootie Heath on drums who is around 19. These guys may have been teens, but they were playing grown men under the table. It's truly remarkable.

Much love to Philadelphia. Jazz would not be what it is without the city of brotherly love.

[​IMG]

7. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

One more pic of a dapper Lee Morgan. He's pictured here with Lex Humphries in Philadelphia. Lex played the drums on Coltrane's Giant Steps btw.

[​IMG]

8. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

Pretty cool (and kinda weird honestly) seeing Lee Morgan before his scalp injury!

9. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

These photos are awesome!

btf1980, Aeryn Sun, Matadore and 5 others like this.
  10. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

no those are records for sale on Discogs…and they are the cheapest of those pressings…

11. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Could be for many reasons. Maybe the initial run was less than Nigeria or other titles so they want to get it in those peoples hands.

could also be because they are holding out on doing the most popular titles so that they can do a proper drop. Maybe stoughton was like “ sup blue note. We can do a random run of 800 jackets”. And blue note was all like “we will do a less popular title like Born to be Blue. I mean, its still pretty fire music; but it was all we were planning on repressing because of sales anyways; so it makes sense to press that one”

12. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Where is this repress of Born To Be Blue available.? Has it shown up anywhere?

13. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

Only available if you download?

14. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

no theres an lp and cd version. I have the LP.

15. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

Look at the recently sold for a true indication of what's selling. If they're listed for that price, nobody is buying. Discogs is full of ludicrously overpriced records.

bjlefebvre, Dai, YouCantWin and 3 others like this.
  16. Anselmo

Anselmo Forum Resident

Great, thanks!

btf1980 likes this.
  17. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

I’ve never had to return an LP to uDiscover but their process for replacing a damaged one is easy. Usually it takes a couple of emails and pics of the damage and they send out a replacement. You don’t have to ship the bad one back to them.

But yeah, their shipping isn’t fast compared to Amazon. But for 40% off, I don’t mind waiting an extra 4-5 days to get my copy.

18. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Blue Train just hit the door step. I am happy now! LoL

19. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

I'm curious to know where people rate Blue Train in Coltrane's overall body of work. Obviously, lots of people have chimed in about how much they like or love it, but how does it stack up for you against the rest of his catalog? Personally, I rank it below everything in the Impulse run from Africa/Brass to A Love Supreme as well as Giant Steps, My Favorite Things, and possibly Coltrane's Sound but above most of what he did for Prestige.

mktracy, ETSEQ, 420JJJazz666 and 7 others like this.
  20. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I'm enjoying it more than ever thanks to the TP but it's not a favorite Blue Note title nor a favorite Coltrane record. Ole and Africa/Brass are probably my two favorites of his, certainly ahead of Blue Train for me.

21. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Two copies of the stereo Blue Train now. All records warped. Time to board the Vinyl Flat train! Sadly, all aboard…

rcsrich and bruinuclafan like this.
  22. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

My favourite would be either Africa/Brass or the Complete Village Vanguard, but you can see Blue Train in that continuum. The band got rehearsal time for one (I believe Africa/Brass was the next album where that was true). It's also near the beginning of the sheets of sound approach. It's a great album in it's own right and hearing him right at the point where he's starting to really fly in his own right, with Morgan and Fuller also early career is pretty special.

conjotter, scotti and YouCantWin like this.
  23. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Ugh.

CBackley likes this.
  24. ShamPain

ShamPain Well-Known Member

My uDiscover is finally out for delivery, the bastards.

I find it hard to "rank" Coltrane albums like this. I don't have a "favorite" with him, just like I don't have a favorite with Miles or any of the true legends in any genre. For one thing, the body of work is so enormous that it's hard (for me) to have any lasting conviction that any ranking is correct. For another, the legacy is so large that it's much harder to fully get my mind around than if we're talking about, like, my favorite Blink-182 album.

I have favorites from the distinct periods of these artists' development, favorites for different moods, "favorites" that I listen to because I haven't listened to them frequently (and, with some, I intentionally don't listen to them frequently to keep the experience somewhat special when I do).

Blue Train is definitely "a" favorite in this sense. It's a wonderful record to listen to that was a major part of my introduction to jazz, to Blue Note, to Coltrane. Is it the "best" in any abstract sense trying to capture "most proficient" or "most profound" or "biggest artistic advance"? No. Is it the "best" in some other ways that Ascension (say) just can't touch? Yes.

Is Blue Train the "best" at actually getting people to listen to (and enjoy) jazz music performed by John Coltrane? Yes. And that seems like a pretty important criterion, perhaps the most important.

Is it the "best" in terms of keeping Blue Note operational/quasi-operational over the decades? Also yes. Decent chance there is no such thing as a Tone Poet series without Blue Train, and decent chance the TP series wouldn't last as long as it otherwise would without this particular Blue Train release filling the Blue Note coffers for a little while longer. And I'm sure AP and MMJ did better with Blue Train than many of their other releases as well.

The success of Blue Train will fund (and has funded) the release of soooooo many other albums, which is something I'm happy about because I enjoy having lots of albums to listen to. So in that sense it's probably the "best" Coltrane album, even if in no other sense.

25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I always considered it upper-tier Coltrane. A great band, very good material, great arrangements, inspired execution by the musicians.

ausgraeme, Aegir, mktracy and 6 others like this.