'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Congrats to Albert, #700!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Could not resist...

2. Jeffrey Weiss

Jeffrey Weiss Forum Resident

Agree, wish they’d do the standard 45s first

3. Jeffrey Weiss

Jeffrey Weiss Forum Resident

Where exactly can you find SD originals for peanuts? Most stores these days have no SDs to speak of, especially ones in excellent condition.

rcsrich likes this.
  4. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

I'd wish there would be a 33rpm version also. But the good thing is, it makes them an easy pass for me!

Finally found a store that sells the BT Mono for the regular TP price so that I will get it. For the stereo set, I will wait until the price goes down significantly. I am sure it will. If not, I am good with only the mono.

rcsrich likes this.
  5. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Only time I’ve run across this recently is they’ll get someone’s SD collection in…and then they aren’t dirt cheap.

scotti likes this.
  6. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

I wouldn’t call it “peanuts” but in the last year or so, I’ve found VG+ copies of Katy Lied, Pretzel Logic, Royal Scam, and Gaucho for under $20 each. I foolishly passed on Can’t Buy a Thrill for the same price. All those were in stores. An AB pressing of Aja ran me $35 from a forum member.

7. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Do you watch the vinyl classifieds here? Routinely, there are nice SD AAA originals available—and IMO, priced very fairly given that the seller may need to go through multiple copies to get a good one. Right now, there is what appears to be an early JPN pressing.

The UHQRs are clearly priced high, but there are plenty of options out there if you’re willing to do some work. A collection with nothing but audiophile reissues strikes me as a soulless and boring anyway!

8. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

9. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Sad news that Pharoah Sanders has passed away.

scotti, bruinuclafan and rcsrich like this.
  10. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

This Bobby Hutcherson Stick Up coming up will be tempting, that’s a great lineup. Sampling the album it seems like as much Tyner on this one as Hutcherson…

mktracy likes this.
  11. laco_elf

laco_elf Active Member

Now that I am in full possession of the set I'm feeling pretty good about that June post. :D Have only listened to Mono so far, but super happy with that sticker!

Swann36, recstar24, mktracy and 2 others like this.
  12. RyeB

RyeB Forum Resident

Spazros likes this.
  13. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

Halfassed shootout #1

TP stereo vs. ‘67 Liberty stereo

Horns, piano and bass on TP are more life like and fuller. Soundstage seems a bit bigger yet more “filled in”.

Liberty drums are a little more forward and clear. Soundstage has more space between instruments.

Prefer the TP. Both are really good listens.

Chances that I purge the Liberty are currently running about 75/25 in favor.

Stat tuned for the mono y mono (sorry couldn’t resist) match up.

timzigs, jhg0626, mr.dave and 5 others like this.
  14. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

I’ve got the Impex. Just pulled it out for a listen now. The bass has a bit of a “rubber band” sound to it as I’m listening to the first and second tracks but it’s certainly audible and otherwise sits in the right space in the mix, just not as well defined as it could be. The longer I listen now, it does sound like it wasn’t recorded as clearly as the rest of the instruments. Unless RC or the recording engineer (Irving Townsend?) were aiming for that particular kind of sound. It is a dark sounding record….
    Interesting you mentioned the bass as I’d never noticed that before….

mktracy and Joti Cover like this.
  15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Aja was a dollar bin album for years
    Crazy how much people will pay for such common titles.
    If you want me to spend over $100 on a title, at least make it something hard to find.

16. jhg0626

jhg0626 Well-Known Member

From my preteens all through my teen years (90s mostly), my relatives knew I had a shoddy record player and would buy me bargain bin albums for birthdays and Christmas. I must have had over 10 copies of Aja at one point. Over the last 20 some odd years I handed most of them out to friends like it was Halloween candy. Now I’m starting to regret it haha.

mktracy, ETSEQ, PATB and 1 other person like this.
  17. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Love all this Steely Dan chatter. I couldn’t care less about the records. I had Aja at one point in my life, but mostly ignored it. I know I’ve heard the others, as an artifact of my youth, but never owned them. Maybe I’ll bring some up on Qobuz and give them a listen. What’s the top album I should try (and there is zero chance I’m buying a $150+ vinyl reissue in any case).

Missy and I are out on the deck tonight playing Charles Lloyd albums on the Naim Mu-so. Ocean is great and we are all set to hear them play in Denver. Voice in the Night is playing now. Maybe my favorite Charles Lloyd album. We just signed a contract to expand our deck by 60 ft^2 for next year. Can’t wait for it! My subwoofer upgrade might have to wait.

Jam757, mktracy, CBackley and 2 others like this.
  18. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I'm a particular fan of Katy Lied. Some take issue with the SQ... some funky Dolby NR gone wrong, but I've never had a problem with the albums sound... and it's just a brilliant album.

420JJJazz666 likes this.
  19. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Steely Dan? Never heard of him.

20. For the uninitiated, read "Naked Lunch"

21. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

Did you have a Cuban and a fine beaujolais?

ubiknik and rcsrich like this.
  22. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I have an early 80s copy of Aja that I inherited. Cant remember the last time I listened to it. Just took a peak and see that my version is one of a handful of cuts surprisingly cut by Kevin Gray as he worked at MCA at the time.

23. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Perfect Sunday listening. You can almost hear the Pacific Ocean….

The new Julian Lage BN guitar album, View from a Room, is really nice too. If you like Pat Matheny, but want a bit of a change, well worth a listen.

rcsrich likes this.
  24. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Royal Scam is a tremendous record….give it a focused listen when you get a chance.

25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Far and away my favorite by them and featuring that classic line, "Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night"...tried to listen to "Can't Buy A Thrill" the other day and struggled to get past the first couple songs.

regarding Charles Lloyd "Trios", its almost like he took the sound of listening to a large seashell and infused it in to the sound of his sax at times. Pretty sure this will be my favorite album of the year, all genres included. That second side is pretty amazing. This record is really not meant to try and sample as you need to sit back and just absorb the incredible music.