'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. jshaide

jshaide Forum Resident

I’ve got the Lloyd coming in today or tomorrow from Amazon

Excited for the Lage, but I ordered it through Blue Note along with Oh Baby and the Leonard Cohen tribute thinking those two were out in October (and thought I’d wait a couple weeks, sure), but the LP for LC is actually out in November, so I won’t get to hear this for a while still. At least on vinyl.

speaking of, wondering how long it’ll be til Sacred Thread is on order. I quite like that box to house all three, but the other stuff that jacked the price up a bit deterred me.

2. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Mine too! It’s heads above the others for me ….Royal Scam is subversive, sophisticated, amusing, incandescent, consistent and lively. Still sounds as fresh - and relevant - today as when it arrived 46 years ago which is mind- boggling.

3. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Holy crap- losing my mind…Royal Scam is the one I meant to so glowingly endorse. Jeez!

4. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

Proud of my fellow Dodgers fans for treating him well this weekend.

Glenn coates, this_machine and scotti like this.
  5. Joti Cover

Ha! I had a feeling you meant Royal Scam when I read your post…

rcsrich likes this.
  6. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

Up today we have MMJ SRX mono vs TP mono.

Preface that my system isn’t mono based nor does it have a mono option. Boy howdy these both sound excellent regardless.

Hmmm. These are really really close.

Had to turn down the TP two clicks to volume match and had some interference from my neighbors booming four on the floor bass for the last song and a half of the MMJ (remind me to ask them what kind of sub they have because that thing thumps!)

Honestly, blind I’d probably be hard pressed to correctly identify which is which without lots of repeat intensive comparisons. Maybe a touch more warmth on the MMJ? Maybe a touch more precision/separation on the TP?

As I have no need for 4 pressings of this album and I’m currently a TP completist, I will have no problem selling off the MMJ and reaching for a TP when I’m in a Blue Train mood but I could definitely understand someone leaning MMJ.

7. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

No need for four pressings? And you call yourself a SHF member?!

8. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

Ha!

ultron9 likes this.
  9. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Dignan2000, backeast and rcsrich like this.
  10. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

Dai likes this.
  11. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Doubtful but possibly.

Probably just slight bump at the warehouse. My Art Pepper from them was very difficult to locate a blemish. Mofi has way more damage with their jackets and charges the same price.

12. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

I paid $23.44 for that when it was released.

Granted from amazon but at $28.99 I feel like plaidroom will still be making some margin when it sells.

Regardless, I agree that selling records at time must be quite challenging.

13. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

Also, bring back the $23 tone poets!

lol

magnet and rcsrich like this.
  14. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

There's another 15% off at checkout :edthumbs:

rcsrich likes this.
  15. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

OK, I’ll put it up on the streamer sometime.

In the meantime, I’m licking my wounds. I did a charity bike ride for cancer today, and decided to go for the century route (100 miles). It was in the hilliest part of our area, but I finished it OK. 100 miles and 5500+ ft. of elevation gain (via a dozen significant, punchy climbs). I’m too tired to listen to any records anymore today, and my butt really hurts.

The new Charles Lloyd is awesome. I played it for Missy last night and she had pretty much the exact same observation as @scotti about it. Leaning a bit towards the avant garde, but excellent. We can’t wait to see the Ocean Trio in November.

mackeyse, Dai, Dignan2000 and 3 others like this.
  16. Joti Cover

I”m in awe - wow - great job there! Inspiring/wonderful. Rest up & sleep well.

Josquin des Prez and rcsrich like this.
  17. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

I grabbed the Chick Corea and Coltrane Ole BG45.
    $65 no shipping or taxes.

Love some Plaidroom!
    Great seller.

flatsix- and rcsrich like this.
  18. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Hope you know that the title track is split into two sides with a fade out and fade in.

Not trying to rain on your parade. It's just in case you were not aware.

Jasonbraswell likes this.
  19. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Yeah I am aware. If it bothers me, I'll let it go when I can find another release.
    Not much available out there for reasonable prices on this title.

BG Pallas is a great combo so I took the bait.

rcsrich likes this.
  20. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Yeh, I've been eyeing it lately too, but cutting a track in half it's something I know I wouldn't stand, so I'm limited to a vintage copy.

The problem is the price of used records nowadays.

Jasonbraswell likes this.
  21. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

FTFY.

22. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Thank you. My wife is a cancer surviver and a patient of the cancer center this raises funds for, so participating in the ride has personal meaning to me, and motivates me to put in the extra effort. Not too bad for a 64-yr old curmudgeon like me. :)

23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I just got the Mulligan/Konitz for $25 from Acoustic Sounds.

waynevinyl and rcsrich like this.
  24. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

I went with the stereo version of Blue Train and finally got a chance to listen to it last night.....amazing. The decision to go with stereo over mono was easy for me because when I was growing up my Dad was really into jazz and he was playing the likes of Miles, Coltrane, Monk, Kenny Dorham & Charles Mingus all the time. I have his early 60s mono version of "Blue Train" so although I’m sure the mono version is outstanding as many have commented here, for me there is something special, and a connection to my Dad when I’m reaching for the very same Coltrane record that he bought, that he pulled out of the sleeve and placed on his turntable and the music he listened to came from the same grooves I'm playing now.

My father always got a kick out of my love of Jazz, suggesting he had something to do with it, which of course he did.

25. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

Listened to Katy Lied last night on an OG find I made 10 years ago. Googled back and forth a while ago and there are some voices that say that if you get hold of a KENDUN press (deadwax) you are all set ---- and surely enough mine is a KENDUN and the SQ is really really good!