'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

Cracked open my Blue Train TP Stereo and yes indeed a very nice sounding record! Not super flat but good enough and no other blemishes what I can see or hear. My new TT lets me hear what really is going on in the bass department and Mr PC's bass is really interesting to be able to follow so easily. Well done Kevin.

I also have a VG OG mono early 2nd press (without NY23) but all the other trimmings and despite some surface noise it is a VERY dynamic listen. When Coltrane enters in the title song it blows up the room! So the mono is different and I think RVG had separate tape machines for mono and stereo at this time so not the same master tapes which probably make them further apart than the mono - fold downs.

Aeryn Sun, scotti and rcsrich like this.
  2. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I guess I need to do some background reading, but at the time BT was recorded, did Rudy have a separate mic setup for the mono and stereo tape machines, or was he mixing/ monitoring in mono and then running the results to both machines. Or was he mixing in stereo. Or was he doing both?

scotti likes this.
  3. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

If I remember it right Rudy at that time with two tape machines he used the same Mics in the studio and got the same feed. I guess monitoring was made only in Mono in Hackensack because he only had a mono monitor speaker setup. I think he did not pay to much attention to the stereo tapes at the time - at least not until he had to cut the stereo record on the lathe.

DeRosa, scotti and rcsrich like this.
  4. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

Tone Poet> BT, STEREO vs MONO ... result = STEREO is better !!!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    Mr. Dean, scotti, Nitrous and 2 others like this.
  5. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

+ slightly warped, as others have mentioned above.

6. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

When Joe was still active on this forum, I pretty much begged for some Carmell Jones. I'd like to think that me being a nuisance paid dividends and this is why Carmell is being reissued! haha

7. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

I understand from previous posts that Andrew Hill's Dance With Death will be released as a TP. Did Joe hint that Andrew Hill's Compulsion will also be released as a future TP?

scotti likes this.
  8. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Thanks- that agrees with what I’d thought/heard previously.

shaft likes this.
  9. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

OK jazz lovers, don't knock each other down racing to get this, but Elusive Disc has Jazz at the Pawnshop on 15ips open reel tape, all for only $994.99. Go!

10. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I can’t even…I mean, 15ips? Come on! If it had been 30, I’d be all over that, but 15….jeez.

Fractured, scotti, Aeryn Sun and 5 others like this.
  11. RyeB

RyeB Forum Resident

I don't believe that it's been mentioned but I would assume that all the Hill's will be released eventually. Grass Roots and Andrew!!! are all begging for "the treatment".

mr.dave, scotti, 51nocaster and 2 others like this.
  12. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

I wonder about that really. BT wasn't the reason I bought into the BN legacy, my first was Idle Moments, which has some amazing tunes on it that just grabbed me when I first got into jazz. AFA Coltrane, the first ones were ALS, and Crescent, and from there, just all over the place, jazz-wise. If BT had not been on any label, that would not have affected my interest in BN as there are way too many really good albums that I really like on BN for the lack of a BT to affect my purchase and listening decisions.

13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but just happened to glance at my Tone Poet calendar earlier and today marks the official 10 day countdown to the release of "Feelin' The Spirit" and Kenny Burrell". In all of the recent excitement, I have lost track of how many records have been released so far in this series...

14. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

I pre-ordered and paid for these so long ago that they feel free. It's good to be good to your future self.

mackeyse, Swann36, timzigs and 5 others like this.
  15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Haha...now that's my type of logic. I have purchased all but two titles of this series from my local store, so I don't pay until they arrive even though I pre-ordered them. I bought the Coleman box from Amazon because of the price and if there were any issues and I believe one other but have no idea what it was. This series has gotten way out of hand (ha!) and continues to suck me back in for whatever record Joe has up his sleeve. Self control is not in my vocabulary when it comes to this series.

16. Bingo Gazingo

Bingo Gazingo Forum Resident

I don’t buy all the tone poets but had to get the special edition stereo Blue Train, even though I have the mono SRX and a 73 non RVG stereo.
    I have to say that they really outdid themselves in terms of packaging. One of the highest quality editions I’ve seen with the booklet, the jacket and the sticker.
    In terms of sound, I think it’s softer than the other versions I have but I need to compare. I remembered the 73 stereo had more kick to it and maybe less dry. This is a more mellow version, but again I need to check.

mktracy, rcsrich and Joti Cover like this.
  17. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

My local RS FINALLY got their shipment of BTs in after a week plus!
    I have credit there from trading in stuff so I just had to grin and bear it, after a week of reviews it gave me time to decide that I wanted the stereo whereas originally I was going to get both.
    The stereo does indeed sound excellent and I was fortunate to get a flat, perfect copy.

Hurrah!

mktracy, rcsrich and Joti Cover like this.
  18. Josquin des Prez

I do hope no one is passing up on the upcoming BNC release of Point of Departure and Evolution. I have both as MMJ 45 and MMJ 33 (for the former). Both of these are top tier MMJ titles and I listed them as “Gems” in my MMJ45 survey. These are must haves. I’m sure I don’t need to remind most here, but if any are on the fence, fall over the good side and pull the trigger on an order. Evolution is so good I’m ordering the BNC so that I have a 33, as well as my MMJ 45. Snoozers are losers.

19. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

It’s a perfect explanation to the significant other. ‘No you don’t understand, it was a preorder, I didn’t spend any money on it. Recently.’

20. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

i also have the 45 of both of these so thankfully ill be saving some money this time around.

21. Josquin des Prez

My wife and I each have our discretionary funds. Hers was set aside from her inheritance from her father. Mine comes from bonuses and partnership distributions. My new Lyra Atlas SL is coming out of that. However, we are in our 60s and have had a lifetime to get to that point. She doesn’t question my records purchases. I don’t question her expenditures. It also goes a long way to keeping the marriage sane. :)

22. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

POD is on order

I gotta give Evolution some more streams. Sometimes an album everyone loves doesn't hit me — I passed on Unity for example. Evolution may need to meet up with me later

23. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

Well for those of us without inheritances, bonuses, and partner distributions the occasional preorder can go a long way.

(Obviously a healthy relationship is based on boundaries and honesty. But nothing wrong with some good rationalizations.)

Swann36 and danasgoodstuff like this.
  24. Josquin des Prez

Understood. However, for each to have their own mad money (even if it isn’t much) is a great place to be and goes a long way to taking some stress off a marriage, IMHO.

25. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

If only that would work on mine….

Instant Dharma likes this.