'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

I know it's not a "Tone Poet" but dropped in a pre-order for Pookies with the zon price guarantee. If it goes on sale elsewhere, I can cancel.

@scotti Did Joe answer you back about the AAA inquiry?

2. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Come to think of it, I don't believe he did. I know there were busy with the BT release, so will ask again. That's the title Zev is doing, correct?

3. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

mktracy likes this.
  4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Have to think it has a digital step. If it was AAA I would think they would state that, especially these days. I do remember Joe saying he thought it might have a digital step (but not for certain) because of it being an archive release. I'll ask again...

5. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

What a waste of talent it would be to send BG a digital file.
    I'm holding out some hope they are keeping it real like the rest of the 80 series releases.

6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Sometimes with these archive releases, there might be issues with the original tapes and they have no choice, so we do have to keep that in mind. Regardless, I'm getting it and bet it will sound good either way. Of course I would like nothing better if it was AAA.

Swansong likes this.
  7. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

They didn't flex that on the Norah Jones and Joe said it was AAA, right? Or am I remembering it wrong?

mktracy and Swordsandchains like this.
  8. Robsonschoice

Robsonschoice Forum Resident

I recently bought the Mono version on the strength of visiting an independent store and another customer in store had both copies and said the Mono is the better choice, I can't tell you if the Stereo is better as I don't have it for side by side comparison but the Mono is superb..

9. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

The main album is AAA.

even if this elvin is digital, who cares? We can use more elvin inall of our lives

ubiknik, ausgraeme, Swansong and 4 others like this.
  10. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

I have the mono MMJ standard edition. While it is superb I prefer the stereo Tone Poet. YMMV.

chris8519, mktracy and AnalogJ like this.
  11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

You confused me there, what does the Norah Jones have to do with the Elvin Jones? Joe knew the Jones was AAA...

12. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

norah jones wasn’t publicly promoted as AAA

13. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I know the main album is AAA. But what's your point?

And yeh, I couldn't care less if it's AAA or not, as long as it sounds the best that it can sound. I was merely using it as an example.

What @Swordsandchains said. They didn't promote it as AAA and it was confirmed to be AAA by Joe. So the fact they didn't promote the Elvin as AAA doesn't mean much.

Swansong likes this.
  14. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

Swann36, Peterr and Swansong like this.
  15. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

There’s a new Bill Frisell foursome album out in November too.

Josquin des Prez, Swansong and DeRosa like this.
  16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Hey, you missed what I was saying there...keep in mind what has transpired recently and lets leave that well alone, but more are stating if AAA is how a particular record is mastered now. This is getting a bit out there so I'll just leave this discussion alone...

No one has said either way yet about how the Elvin Jones was mastered to my knowledge.

Getting ready to crank up his record "Midnight Walk", a nice KG/SC version.

Dignan2000 and mktracy like this.
  17. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

One thing to keep in mind is that the mastering method on these kind of releases will depend heavily on how the audio was recorded, how well the tapes have been stored and stuff like that. Zev tends to focus on recordings that are not typical audiophile material, and may not be recorded the same way a major studio would, but that have high historical value, and often unknown & never before released (at least officially). To my understanding, the kind of tapes he's working with often needs audio restoration, which is best done in the digital domain, otherwise we wouldn't get to hear the performance at all

But, he is also really passionate and wants it to sound as good as possible. So I'm really glad that he sends those files to BG rather than the pressing plants' engineers, which would be fine in general for an archival release.

Take the only Resonance Records releases in my own collection, both Bill Evans Buenos Aires concerts from this year's RSD; the music alone is so captivating that I would've gladly taken "standard" mastered versions. But BG had brought up the sound quality to a really high level, which means I can hear the details in the piano more, the interplay between the musicians feels more real, and it's all in all a much more enjoyable experience.

But those tapes were good, and the restoration was good, which enables that kind of mastering to be meaningful. So something like that is what I'm hoping for for the Elvin Jones release (and for it to be available in the UK at some point :D ). If the mics were not set up right, the mix was shady or other factors like that, the vinyl might not sound all that amazing even with BG's cutting. If that's the case, the un-restored audio would probably sound a lot worse even if mastered in the all analog domain ;)

Stu02, Aeryn Sun, bjlefebvre and 8 others like this.
  18. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

All good inputs. Thanks for that.
    I just like his analog tube mastering with jazz. It's a unique mastering.

I was listening to the BG45 Trio 65 earlier.
    He blows the AS Trio 65 out of the water.
    Not certain but I would wager it's cut from his tube setup. It's more than just a step up to the 45.

Either way the pre order is in and I don’t normally preorder many titles.

19. ShamPain

ShamPain Well-Known Member

Yes, this conversation is taking place in relative terms, so that is what I meant.

20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Here you go regarding the Elvin Jones...this is what Joe got from Zev...

We used digital files, (44.1 x 16, lossless) that were transferred from the original tape reels (7.5 ips, 7" reels) to master to vinyl...

Swann36, JakeM, wellers73 and 11 others like this.
  21. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

Anyone know the pressing plant for the upcoming Elvin Jones?

22. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Just played my mono vinyl and the sound pins me back to the wall and makes the hair on my arms stand up! The stereo doesn’t do that to me.

arem, scotti, Trifonius and 6 others like this.
  23. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Thanks for the follow-up and tell Joe thanks for sharing the information.

24. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Kevin Gray cut the vinyl for Valentine, but I don't see any indication it's the same for this one. Anyone know?

25. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

The Blue Train(s) took their time finding their way down here to me in Australia but they finally arrived a few days ago and tonight I got the opportunity to rip into them as well as the mandatory Tone Poet thread IPA’s - and may I say we have some very cool IPA’s down here. I live a 5 minute walk from a fantastic craft brewery (very handy after one or three / four / five too many!) that makes a fantastic and ever changing range of NEIPA’s.
    But back to the music…..the mono was a great warm up but I’ve got say the stereo version had me grinning like a little kid right from the very first notes. And to the people on this thread who talk to Joe - I hope you make sure he gets to know how much happiness people like me get from the obvious care that was put into the complete masters package - this is truly a set that I know I’m going to treasure for years to come and I’m really grateful to be able to get a high quality mono and stereo copy of this iconic record at a sensible price point.

Aeryn Sun, Dartman, timzigs and 10 others like this.