'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. lbloom

lbloom Well-Known Member

Mine is having the same problems on Side 2. Very distracting.

2. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

One more off topic, but I played this exact record last night. Terre Haute first pressing.
    It’s such a clean copy that it made me not even think about getting the UHQR.
    [​IMG]

3. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Hey thanks so much for posting this, I had completely missed that reissue! I think I will give it a try, I just love that album.

Instant Dharma and ausgraeme like this.
  4. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

About Stick-Up! - to me the whole thing is brilliant musically. I agree it's not one of RVG's best recordings (not sure why technically), so there are limits as to how good it's going to sound - but trust me if you were to hear the old Connoisseur Series CD and A/B it with this new LP, you'd be amazed at how much more life and quality they managed to wring out of this title...it is just no comparison, miles better!

And about Henderson being the best tenor on BN? Certainly ONE of the best...to quote a composition on a classic BN album, to me it's a "Three Way Split" between Henderson, Mobley, and Gordon - all just wonderful tenors, all completely individual.

5. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

To me he sounds like he's in the same kind of bag as on Little Johnny C by Johnny Coles, and on Blue Mitchell's Step Lightly...more soulful, funky, R&B influenced. His tone is pretty much the same as always, and I love it, but it's the way he phrases and stays more within the changes on these kinds of records that I think you are picking up on.

To me it works well for those recordings and for Stick-Up! especially on "Una Muy Bonita" which just kicks ass and is kind of the Henderson/Higgins show in my opinion, they almost could have done it just as a duo (and that coming from me, gigantic Bobby Hutcherson fan).

6. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Just spun Blue Mitchell — Bring It Home To Me

The record is a tad warped but I'm keeping it because it still played beautifully — I heard exactly one click, otherwise dead quiet.

Really enjoyed this. Can't say enough about Billy Higgins and his lyricism on the cymbals. Front and center on "Port Rico Rock" and reminds me I need to go listen to "Bossa De Luxe," another Latin number found on Hank Mobley's Hi Voltage where Billy really steps out.

Hankenstein, recstar24, PATB and 2 others like this.
  7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

You explained it better than I could. Exactly what happens, it skips without skipping. I believe it may be cut very hot, or the markings you see are where maybe the grooves "intersect" due to the "hot" cut. Not sure if I should return it to Amazon and get another copy now or wait a bit longer until this issue might be worked out in some manner. The fact that four of us on this forum, on release day, have experienced the same thing indicates this may be widespread.

Eamon likes this.
  8. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

I'll listen again with your comments in mind. Just less dissonance? And since we're talking about Stick-Up, I'll say it again: 8/4 is an A+ Blue Note composition!

PATB, mktracy and DrJ like this.
  9. mktracy

mktracy Forum Resident

Just got Bring it Home to Me and Picture of Heath. I haven't listened to them yet but hopefully in a couple hours. Once again Amazon sent both records in a big box with some air pods for filler, no other boxes at all. I don't know what is going on at Amazon lately. Ill report back if I have any issues after my listening session.

Swann36, bruinuclafan and Patanoia like this.
  10. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Craft/Concord would be the outfit responsible.

Starquest likes this.
  11. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

Can someone with direct knowledge (no idle speculation, please) confirm that it has been Amazon themselves putting records in cardboard mailers until recently, and not Blue Note or a distributor?

On the one hand, I appreciate that the extra cardboard is bad for the environment; on the other hand, I don't like getting bent sleeves like I did with "Picture of Heath", since some heavy books were put in the same big box.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    mktracy likes this.
  12. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

Analogue Productions has been periodically repressing the Prestige reissue series (both mono and stereo series) they released several years ago. They’re typically great but only available via Acoustic Sounds as far as I know.

13. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Has AAA been confirmed? Ole does sound good, but I thought the set was cut from digital.

420JJJazz666 likes this.
  14. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Just 50 titles though and neglecting many of the great gems.

we NEED

Roy Haynes & Booker Ervin - Cracklin
    Roy Haynes - We Three
    Ron Carter - Where?
    Jacki Byard - The Jackie Byard experience
    Dorthy Ashby - Hip Harp
    Dorthy Ashby - In a Minor Groove
    Todd Dameron and John Coltrane - Mating Call
    Mal Waldron - The Quest
    Red Garland - Red Garlands Piano
    Red Garland - Soul Junction
    Sonny Rollin - Plus 4
    Booker Ervin - The Space Book
    Kenny Burrell and John Coltrane
    Pat Martini - El Hombre
    All of the Yusef

And so on. Audiophile pressings of Prestige and Riverside titles are criminally neglected. I love and respect everything Chad does at Analogue Productions, but imo they left some truly top tier titles on the the table for some mediocre ones.

15. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Yep I know about those. Haven't bought any. I don't really like how Chad controls all of it. Hoping something else can happen.

16. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

17. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I have the same issue on the same tracks. Side 2 is pressed off center quite a bit. I’m guessing that’s the problem because if I play the same passage repeatedly, it doesn’t do it every time.

Eamon likes this.
  18. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

That’s one I added to my Tone Poet “Gems” list.

Dai, Swann36, mktracy and 2 others like this.
  19. Josquin des Prez

Mine sounds fine. I do hear where Chet Baker overloads the mic a little on side two track 3. My cartridge tracks it just fine though.

Swann36, mktracy and Kenny Lagers like this.
  20. Josquin des Prez

I agree that Chad’s choices aren’t all that great. I’m surprised he did the Eric Dolphy titles. He’s not that adventurous usually. Ditto for the Verve 45 series he did. There are a lot of meh titles where there are some great Verve catalog titles he could have done.

As for Prestige, I really want George Russell Ezz-thetics. I love that album.

21. Josquin des Prez

If it comes out of AP it will have Chad’s stamp on it. The other chance for a Prestige reissue series is if Craft does something that is not curated by Chad.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Digging the heck out of "The Sidewinder" vibe the Tone Poet brings front and center to the Blue Mitchell. Very cool! Just me or anyone else hearing that as well...

23. Josquin des Prez

Yeah, I agree. I am just playing this now. I like this, and have pulled out my MMJ of The Thing You Do as a followup play, which also features Junior Cook and Gene Taylor, but with Chick Corea and Al Foster to round out the rhythm section.

JoelWat and recstar24 like this.
  24. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Personally I just love the thinner sleeves of the Pacific Jazz series!

they literally take up half the space on the rack and also catch my eye more often as they’re the outliers in my TP section.
    Guessing Picture of Heath will be getting more play on that alone!

also because I’m a sucker for Chet… :righton:

Dai, RonaldC, Newscot and 6 others like this.
  25. Josquin des Prez

I’m about to buy another Ikea Kallax 4x4. LOL
    I just have to wait for the gloss white to come back in stock locally.

rxcory, Swann36, headtheory and 3 others like this.