'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Would like to see your list! Updated with the most recent releases of course.
    I use your list to target relisten sessions.

Josquin des Prez and mktracy like this.
  2. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

3. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Oh yes I just bought 2 of the 1x4 Kallax to add on top of my 4x4s. Looks pretty good! And need to make space for the barrage of UHQR Steely Dans :wiggle:

allbrosca and mktracy like this.
  4. mktracy

mktracy Forum Resident

OK I just checked out Picture of Heath. Mine plays and sounds fine, a few slight ticks but no issues at all. Picture of Heath is a mighty fine sound album. I have to agree with @scotti on this one. Mono done right for sure. I'm loving this album!!!

5. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

I have been listening to the The Complete Blue Note Blue Mitchell Session (Mosaic CD set) and the MMJ The Thing to Do in anticipation of the TP Bring it Home To Me, and it does not disappoint :righton:.

Elofan, Crush87, timzigs and 3 others like this.
  6. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I have 2x4 on my 4x4, plus a 2x2 on a 2x4 in the back of the room. I am ready for another 4x4 and am moving out a love seat I never use in my home office to make room for it.

[​IMG]

7. Josquin des Prez

Yeah, I was thinking about that recently. I need to update my list. I have not added any titles to my survey since the early spring releases.

I need a good snowy weekend that keeps me indoors. :)

mktracy and chris8519 like this.
  8. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Yes, it's better if the labels are doing distribution. Otherwise most of the world is paying too much.

Tone Poet, BNC, and Verve AS are the way to go.

Hankenstein likes this.
  9. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

Yes! This is literally the 1st thing that came to my mind the 1st time I played it.

10. Josquin des Prez

As much as I dig Bring It Home To Me, and I really do, I really still like The Thing You Do better, and am thinking it almost but not quite advances to my MMJ45 “Gems” category. I do think that Bring It Home To Me will make my Tone Poet “Essentials” but it has to get another listen first.

In any case, Joe and Kevin killed it on this title. If anyone is on the fence about Blue Mitchell, go for it and you won’t be disappointed.

Elofan, SideShowRobb, timzigs and 4 others like this.
  11. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

do you bolt the 2x4 to the 4x4s? And i assume all of thag bolted to wall?

12. Josquin des Prez

Nope, none of the above. I’ve had it all there standing free like it is for 7 years now. I move records around too.

I never bolted to the wall. My walls are plaster on lathe – not drywall – and a major PITA to anchor anything on to them.

And please don’t post pictures of collapsed Ikea record shelve failures. All of those are because people are stupid, can’t read instructions, and orient them sideways, so they lose their structural integrity. Those infamous Ikea failures are pretty much all user failures.

13. I have a 2x4 on top of a 4x4 and used some blu tack to hold them together. Each is anchored to the wall. They are incredibly sturdy.

bruinuclafan and Swordsandchains like this.
  14. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

i have no intentions of posting those pics. I use Kallax myself, with correct shelf orientation. Ive always just been nervous of stacking like this but ive never had anyone to ask about it

15. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I hope they do it and make the train wreck session the 2nd disc.

rxcory, MisterBritt, mktracy and 2 others like this.
  16. Josquin des Prez

OK, fair enough. :) People keep posting Ikea failures when they don’t understand why they failed. I have shell shock from it. LOL

I built these up to replace my old Ikea Expidit shelves in December 2015. I put down the two 4x4, and stacked the two 2x4 on top. I didn’t add any bracing, or bolting, or wall anchors. Maybe I should have. However, I have spent 7 years adding, removing, & shuffling records around on them on a regular basis, including complete reorgs (like swapping all the jazz on one side with all the classical on the other side). The shelves get used, contents get changed around all the time. I have never had an issue. I suppose if they do ever fail for some reason (and I don’t expect that, unless earthquake), they don’t have very far to go sideways since the walls to their side are so close: on the left is an outside plaster on brick outside wall, and to the right is a plaster on lathe bearing wall.

Dignan2000 and superstar19 like this.
  17. danasgoodstuff

Oh, the title tune is very Son of Sidewinder, right down to the intro bass lick. And the rest of it is pretty groovy overall. Higgins is part of it, but Blue cut groove tunes with Al Foster or Micky Roker as well but Al's groove is a little different than Billy's, as is Micky's. I like all of Blue's work until Collision in Black and Bantu Village, not so big on those. I love groove tunes, but have strong preferences within those parameters.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  18. danasgoodstuff

My order of preference for Blue M on Blue N would be Thing to Do, Down With It!, Boss Horn, Bring it Home to Me, Heads Up! Step Lightly feels like a draft, although Leo Wright making a rare appearance makes it interesting. And the last two on BN don't feel like BN at all to me. FWIW, YMMV, etc.

19. biggysteve

biggysteve Forum Resident

The Thing To Do is such a fantastic MMJ release, and the lineup more than backs it up.

recstar24 and DrJ like this.
  20. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Get well my friend.

Skip it and go for an original pressing instead, I’ve a few different originals and to these ears the UK first pressing stands out a bit.

Great pressing. Soundwise there’s some special magic on an original like this to these ears when compared to post 80’s pressings.

21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Do you have the UHQR? (Marley RV) Just listened to it again last night with the wife and this is eaisly one of the finest sounding records in our collection. The original, US or UK does not equal this monster to my ears. I respect your opinion, but take a look at the comments on the AS site. Speaks very loudly about how wonderful it sounds. Best sounding UHQR I have heard yet. The cost was questioned by some, but this is just amazing!

22. Trifonius

Trifonius Jazz

Yeah the BNC of Lovano sounds excellent, great music as well. If you’re referring to the TP Scolohofo, I’m definitely picking up that one as well!

Bebopper likes this.
  23. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

No I didn’t get the UHQR as it was crazy expensive over here in Europe IMHO. I believe all the positive reactions regarding the sound on the UHQR and I would like to compare a copy to my different original pressings but it isn’t possible as I made the choice not to get it. I believe it sounds more audiophile but I wonder if that magic does get lost as in many cases with audiophile releases when compared to excellent sounding originals (my personal reflection). The original UK first pressing does have a certain drive and pulse that the other pressings I’ve in my collection don’t have. The master engineer at Island UK really knew how to make this album come alive.

I must say in most cases when it comes to reggae albums from the Island label back in the 70’s (and in some cases also the 80’s) the master engineers did an excellent job as these albums in general do sound great. The Marley/Wailer albums are only the top of the iceberg as there are some other reggae artists/bands on the Island label that released equal or even better sounding albums. Thanks to some of the reggae gurus from the Crucial Reggae thread on this forum like @Dubmart, @Guillaume Bougard and @99thfloor I’ve dug deep in to the reggae genre during the most recent years and I’ve found some very good sounding gems along the way. I especially like the sound of the Island label in this case.

This is the Tone Poet thread, sorry for going a little of topic. :oops:

24. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

Picture of Heath showed up yesterday and Stick Up! about 5 minutes ago. I spun the former before everyone was up this morning and I'm really enjoying it. The insert notes makes the point that there's no great variety in tempo or style here or any new innovation. It's is merely a great album of tunes from an era when that's all you needed. Like a time capsule. My 2/c is that I've fairly reliably enjoyed the Pacific titles more than most of the Blue Notes and this one is no exception. Stick Up! will have to wait until tonight though.

Dai, Bebopper, mktracy and 2 others like this.
  25. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

My copy has the apparent skipping on that track, at 2-3 points, and it's not every time either. But, it doesn't look especially off-centre to me.