'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Bodhi

Bodhi Forum Resident

I agree. #1 Mobley title for me by a mile.

MMJ did a portion of it though, on the MMJ-only release The Feelin's Good. Not sure where that falls in the "rules".

mktracy, timzigs and 420JJJazz666 like this.
  2. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

My Picture of Heath plays with no issues. I have a 2M Bronze cart.

mktracy likes this.
  3. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I have the complete opposite feelings on this one. This is the disappointment in Dexter's BN catalogue. For me the playing is less coherent than on his other BN sessions (I'm tempted to say "sloppy), the band never gels despite individual performances and most of the material sound better performed by others.

Briskit likes this.
  4. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

I like most Dexter albums. One of my least favorites is GO. It has some great moments, but some honestly cheesy ones too

I am a huge fan of A Swingin Affair, One Flight Up, and Our Man in Paris. Getting Around is solid as well. Id put GO after these.

one Flight was a great gift from the Tone Poet series

AaronW, Joti Cover, mktracy and 4 others like this.
  5. Trifonius

Trifonius Jazz

Whereas I really like Go and Doin Alright

mktracy and timzigs like this.
  6. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

I need to give Doin alright a proper listen soon. I havent heard it enough to form a concrete opinion. Same for Dexter Calling. I have neither one on vinyl

7. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Yeah seriously hoping this does not exclude its eligibility, would be a huge shame. I think everything gets done eventually between BNC and TP but the impatient part of me gets frustrated with a Caddy For Daddy pick when there are (of course IMO) much better Mobley albums that haven't been done by MMJ

mktracy, Glenn coates and Bodhi like this.
  8. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Well I had an interesting experience with Picture of Heath, on the TT I usually record Tone Poets with I got a few skips and a couple sticking points on the last track of side 2.
    This TT has an OC9xsl and has no trouble at all with Plantation Bag from Passing Ships for instance, it has proven to be a great tracker and all around cart.
    So I moved the LP over to my other TT which has one of those SAE 1000LTs that were being sold NOS on Ebay recently ( a HOMC with a Shibata tip) which was a spectacular deal considering the great sound for a cheap price ($99!) and lo and behold it tracks everything cleanly (sounded great too).
    I moved it back to the first deck and the sticking point still catches the other stylus ('SLC') still, although I think it changed it a bit (maybe).
    So my theory is that it is something at the bottom of the groove and the Shibata which is wider just doesn't go as deep into the groove as the SLC tip which is narrower.
    I don't know what else to think, so maybe a stamper was contaminated with some micro elements that migrated around (which would explain people getting the issue on track 3 and elsewhere in that area).
    If a stamper has such contaminating particles I would think that they get set deep into the groove when stamped but I don't really know what it is (or how that could repeat for many pressings...), I can't see anything wrong with that area.
    So when I get a chance I'll DEEP clean this disc and see how it goes.

9. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

I just got Round Trip today, what a package. Naturally, the live discs from Gyllene Cirkeln are a good starting point, and it's just beautiful. I feel a slight sense of pride as a Swede when listening to this music like this, of how well the Stockholm guys did on this recording. Of course, Kevin Gray is Kevin Gray so it'll always sound as good as it can, but the way this is set up and recorded is quite different from what I'm used to. The drums in particular sound so realistic; you can tell subtle differences in the decay in the kick drum depending on how hard it's hit. The way Ornette is floating around in and out of the speakers really fits his playing style too. It feels like this would benefit from being played at a loud volume, though that will have to wait here :)

The back of the cover shows a bit of the article from Svenska Dagbladet, matching the liner notes, pretty cool. I really look forward to spinning the rest of the discs and seeing if the TP treatment will elevate those as much as it did on these two, comparing to digital versions

Hegermann, Matadore, Dai and 6 others like this.
  10. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I like @ubiknik theory about Picture of Heath. There has to be something going on that is causing an issue - and I don't care that others are getting a clean play. I hate to sound like a "broken record" (lol - haha) - but I still standby my TT/cart which has no problems with any other LP that I can remember, yet Picture of Heath is creating some real issues, not distortion but more than that. They are like skips or jumps in the groove.

Eamon likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

SLC is approx. 6 x 40um. Shibata "small" type is 6 x 50um. Shibata "large" type is 6 x 75um. There are other Shibata variations too.

ubiknik likes this.
  12. charlesp

charlesp Forum Resident

Picture of Heath - so who’s on bass? Consistent with the original Picture of Heath, the jacket shows Curtis Counce playing bass, while the labels of Side A and B show Jimmy Bond on bass. I have a Japanese reissue of Playboys, that consistent with the original issue, shows Curtis Counce as the bass player both on the jacket and on the labels of Side A and B. Each of the Tone Poet and the Japanese reissue are true to the original releases.

13. TheWaxWhisperer

TheWaxWhisperer Forum Resident

I've had two copies of Chet Baker & Art Pepper - Picture of Heath LP (Blue Note Tone Poet Series)
    with defects on side 2 track 3 RESONANT EMOTIONS

major skips.
    first time this has happened to me on a Tone Poet release.

anyone have a similar issue?

[​IMG]

14. Impedance36

Impedance36 Forum Resident

Indeed I’ve got the same unfortunately

15. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Same on ART9.

16. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I'm just using a 2M Blue and it's playing through fine. Am wondering if there was just a bad batch?

CBackley likes this.
  17. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

MM did The Feelin's Good with two tracks from No Room For Squares: Hank Mobley - The Feelin's Good' - Blue Note Vinyl Reissue

From Wikipedia:

The Feelin's Good is a compilation album of tracks recorded by jazz tenor saxophonist Hank Mobley in 1963 and 1964 and released on the Music Matters label. It features performances by Mobley, Donald Byrd, Herbie Hancock, Butch Warren and Philly Joe Jones.

Those songs recorded on March 7, 1963 were originally released as follows: "Old World, New Imports" and "Up A Step", appeared on No Room for Squares released in 1964. "East Of The Village" and "The Good Life", appeared on The Turnaround! released in 1965 and the remaining two tracks, "The Feelin's Good" and "Yes Indeed", were not released until 1985 as part of the album Straight No Filter. In 2013, the company Music Matters released this compilation album.

mktracy and danasgoodstuff like this.
  18. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

I think enough people have reported the same fault in the same place on POH, while others report no problem at all, to indicate the there was a bad batch. Very unlikely to be cart / setup related. At least buying it new, we can return if necessary. I seem to recall there was a similar issue with New Bottles Old Wine - and hence why I've held off getting a copy via Discogs. Same story with the Classics pressed during lockdown unfortunately. My current policy is to buy Tone Poets immediately if I think I want them so I can exchange if needed and wait for back-title Classics to be re-pressed.

19. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

All straightened out and packaged as complete sessions, if you get the right versions of the CDs. The 2 1963 sessions that went into No Room For Squares and the 1965 session for The Turnaround each produced enough release quality music for an album apiece.

mktracy and Hankenstein like this.
  20. Hankenstein

Hankenstein Forum Resident

I want to give a shoutout to two recent acquisitions of mine. About a month ago, I received a shipping notice from UPS: "We're hustlin' because we got two Tone Poets comin' your way." I would say "That's were it's at :cool:", but it was only two records.

If you haven't guessed it already, I'm talking about everybody's favorite sax player, the one and only Stanley Turrentine. I've been listening quite a lot to Jimmy Smith's Back at the Chicken Shack this year. The music really hits me emotionally, and a highlight is Stanley's solo on When I Grow To Old To Dream. So I started contemplating getting some of his solo records. Unfortunately, the only TP in stock is Rough & Tumble, which is not an album I would spend 40 € and 1 cm shelf space on. The BNC of Common Touch was the other option, but the music didn't convince me, especially the sound of the organ. The three former TPs however all convinced me: Hustlin' is an organ record with the unusual addition of a bass player, an it has Kenny Burrell on it. Comin' Your Way has the Us 3 rhythm section and Stanley's brother Tommy on trumpet, whom I dig. And That's Were it's At has an unusual appearance of Les McCann on piano and on Blue Note, and could be classified as an acoustic soul jazz date. These records don't fetch high prices on Discogs, but with shipping I would pay 60 € for each, which is too much. Only recently I found a third party seller on amazon.de who had both Hustlin' and Comin' You Way, so I snatched them.

These are my first impressions:
    Hustlin' is indeed a nice organ jazz records. Bob Cranshaw's upright bass brings another kind of bounce to the table, Shirly Scott's organ has a softer and less extroverted sound than Jimmy Smith, and Kenny Burrell and Stanley Turrentine deliver. The opening track reminds me of Fever, so I had to look at the jacket
    Comin' Your Way is a nice, relaxed hard bop date leaning to the soul jazz side. What especially like is the lack of uptempo tunes in favor of more groovy and bluesy sounds. Fine Lil Lass has to be on of the best song titles, at least if it means what I think it means...

It will take some time for me to digest these, but I don't think that I will grow tired of them, hence, I don't understand why people are tired of Stanley Turrentine releases...

21. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

Totally agree as I had 2 sets of 2 drops correlating to marks on the groove on the first copy. Second copy 1 set of 2 skips again correlating to marks on the vinyl.

They were also in different places as in the set of skips on the second copy didn't align to any of the skips on the first.

This indicates some sort of pressing issue rather than a hot cut.

22. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Only 7 weeks? I waited 6 months one time. I eventually cancelled the order.

23. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

I can report that mine has 1 “buzz” sound for perhaps half a second or less in side 2 track 3 but no other issues , perhaps what I’m hearing is the mic overload but apart from that it seems my Ortofon Quintet Black S which an MC cart on the Atmo Sfera TT tracks the whole Picture of Heath album fine

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  24. Chandler Dickson

Chandler Dickson Forum Resident

We are a week away from the announcement of the 2023 TP List!

brimuchmuze, mktracy, spieg16 and 5 others like this.
  25. b00siete

b00siete Member

Just curious: for those who are dealing with the POH defects... I just listened to my second copy from Amazon and it's dreadful. For Tone Poet completists: how are you going to proceed? Hang on to one of the "bad batch" copies? Wait for a verified used copy on Discogs? Wait for Blue Note to re-press (is that even likely?) About to return this second copy but would love to hear what other peeps are going to do! Thanks!