'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I went to the Tracking Angle website and sent them an "email" through their contact us page to see if they had an opinion on the Picture of Heath issue. Much to my amazement Michael Fremer responded to my request almost immediately. He didn't yet have a copy of the Tone Poet Picture of Heath, but he surmised that he should probably get one and hopefully chime in regarding the controversy.

He was obviously non-committal on commenting on the issue since he hasn't heard the pressing nor owns a copy of the Tone Poet. I wouldn't expect that he make a definitive pronouncement if he hasn't owned or played a copy of the LP. I responded with another email to him immediately indicating that this case, in my opinion, is not a normal issue as so many people are having the same problem. I reasoned that regardless of what the problem might be, even if it is cartridge mis-tracking due to the loud transients heard with the trumpet, it isn't a small problem and seems to be affecting more people than usual.

Mr. Fremer responded immediately to me once again, indicating that it could be mis-tracking, since there have been people indicating that playing on a different TT/cart from that which created an issue, it is found the LP will play fine. He also indicated, as Joe Harley did, that these LPs are play-tested before release by many different people on different systems.

In the end he did say it was hard to pin down, but he was now planning on getting a copy and playing it with both a stereo and mono cartridge and report on what he finds. If he does do as he indicated, who knows what he will find. He has such expensive and well setup equipment, that he may find no issue.

Anyway, I await to see if any music or audiophile websites or writers opine on what they think the problem might be if they actually have a copy and find it skips and has more than just distortion.

2. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Oh okay I listened with headphones! I can indeed hear some minor distortion right at the end of Chet's first solo on Side B, Track 3.
    To me it sounds like tracking distortion - it happens twice, once his last note of the solo and then again right after when the sax comes in and they're playing the melody in harmony. But Joe mentions tape distortion, so what do I know.

That little sharp transient Chet creates is tough to track! But my copy go nowhere near skipping.
    I'd bet I could tighten up my geometry/config and it would minimize the distortion even further.

3. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

Fremer is gonna appreciate you going to him, a real journalist, and not to Mike E., a strip mall record store owner.

RyeB, mar.ras, Dubmart and 8 others like this.
  4. I hear nothing y'all are describing on my Pure Pleasure copy from a few years ago.

Peterr likes this.
  5. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I was thinking of picking that version up, since it is claimed to have been remastered from the original mono analog tapes by Ron McMaster at Capitol. My only issue there, is I have never been a big fan of Ron McMaster's cuts (and are they truly 100% Analog?). I am not saying the Ron McMaster is bad at what he does, it just doesn't seem to be on the same level as Kevin Gray.

chris8519 likes this.
  6. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Amazing.

7. Eh, I don’t have any proof to Joe and Kevin cutting something hot together, but Kevin’s cut of Blues Walk for the BNC series was cut louder than the AP 45. Which shouldn’t happen, generally speaking 45rpm allows for louder cuts. And from the clips I’ve heard, that BNC was a bit of a disaster.

On a more general note, I find many TPs are cut quite loud as well. I just don’t have another KG cut to compare it to.

The upgrades were done before the conclusion of the MMJ 45 series. No major improvements have been done between Blue Train MMJ and TO as far as I am aware.

8. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I'm back with more Dexter Gordon performing "Tanya"(2/2). It just keeps getting better! I misattributed Pt. 1 to San Francisco, but Pt. 2 indicates this 1979 concert was performed at "The Maintainance Shop" at Iowa State University.

Eddie Gladden is just tearing it up on the drums. He's slaying it. It's unbelievable. And the camera stays on him for longer than Pt. 1. George Cables on piano and Rufus Reid on bass are jaw-dropping.

This is a style of drumming that nobody can play anymore. Today's players are more technocrats than aristocrats on the drums. Gentlemen, this is what recorded music (video) was made to preserve. Sometimes when you see someone perform, it changes your ideas about them. This is one of those moments.

Hashtag (I'm trying to be funny): Mickey Roker, Philly Joe Jones, Tony Williams, and Elvin Jones.

Tony A., Dignan2000, ubiknik and 7 others like this.
  9. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Good point forgot about Blues walk having similar distortion. And don’t forget Passing Ships!

All had challenging passages of loud impulses. I know at least for Passing Ships that distortion was reduced by going to a new cart; now I don’t get the same overdriven sound.

mr.dave and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  10. Bartolo Mascarello

Bartolo Mascarello Forum Resident

Is this not a music and audiophile website?

11. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Like which ones? I have them all and that isn’t my impression.

12. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Streaming today and forgot how killer The Morning After is. Maybe one of Mobley's best. So, boogaloo opener or not, at least there's that cut.

13. BitterFishinCrudeOilSea

BitterFishinCrudeOilSea Forum Resident

Picked up my copy of PICTURE OF HEALTH from my local, and my side two is unlistenable 2-3 major skips, and several big bursts of big distortion on other loud trumpet bits. I'm pretty forgiving with vinyl pressings, and didn't have a problem with, say, PASSING SHIPS...but this one is BAD. And to make matters worse, I bought it from a local and don't want to rack up a bunch of returns knowing it's likely to take a few copies to get a good one. So...I guess I'm just going to be out $40 and pick a new one up when they repress?

Thanks Blue Note!

MikeT, CBackley, patient_ot and 3 others like this.
  14. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Just opened my Stick-Up that arrived earlier in the week; playing loud on a Friday night to catch any noises.

Unfortunately, mine is pressed off-center. Not too badly, but you can watch the tone-arm do the wobbly thing, so even though I don't think I can hear anything, it's going back. That said, I wanted to hear the album anyway, as it was my first Bobby Hutcherson album and even though there's a few now that I like more, I still love Stick Up. SQ is excellent - standard TP/BNC fare; maybe a little better. Not on the level, IMO, of Oblique or a few of the other best-sounding TP's, but not far off. Possibly this has to do with the original tapes and how the music was initially recorded. Anyway... all going well until B-1, when I got hit with a blast of non-fill; no, this one's definitely going back. Bad pressing indeed.

So of this latest haul that consisted of 3 TPs and 2 BNCs... 1 TP going back and no BNCs (though my Point of Departure is dish-warped, but I don't want to return it and wind up with ones with non-fill that have been turning up).

It's Blue Note, not Amazon, so I'll have to send pictures. On the plus side, I'll now have a spare jacket in case anything happens to the new one that is sent.

patient_ot likes this.
  15. NettleBed

Why, that doesn't sound healthy at all!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  16. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Nonfill aside (instant return) I normally don’t return records solely for being pressed off-center if I hear no issues.

Anyone else?

17. NettleBed

I don't return off-center pressings of normally priced albums for this (unless I can hear something) but for the premium priced ones - yes.

I recently had an issue with the AP 2x45 Jethro Tull 'Stand Up' - pressed several millimeters more off-center than this one. No, I'm not paying $65 for an off-center album that I can't call NM if I ever want to sell.

TPs not at the same price point, but still. These are supposed to be premium products.

G E and Crush87 like this.
  18. Jeffrey Weiss

Jeffrey Weiss Forum Resident

19. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Not an answer to your question, but...
    I learned how to fix off-center records a while back. I also learned how to get around uniform dish warps to a very satisfying degree. One involves a file and the other one involves a washer and standard record clamp. Methods are explained on threads on this forum and other forums.

20. Pimjazz0

Pimjazz0 Forum Resident

It’s track B4. I think most issues are with the B side. I’m not a vinyl expert. What does it mean when it’s cut too hot?

21. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Ok riddle me this! Since my local shop is struggling to get replacements of PoH, I thought I’d spin it a few times to see if it cleared (optimistic I know but I figured I’m stuck with a dud so no harm in trying), and after about 4 plays, it now plays through with no issues, it’s perfect! I’m really puzzled as I had a skip in track 1, 2 skips in track 3 and a blast of distortion on its first play through. So for those having problems, try playing it a few times and see if it works for you

Aeryn Sun, CarterSkye, AaronW and 3 others like this.
  22. NettleBed

It just needed some burn-in.

Lamus and Coltrane811 like this.
  23. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

Oh dear, I thought is was done by Speakers Corner. But, yea, pure pleasure it is. I mixed that up with "Chet Is Back". I'd be still interesting in a comparison. But even more now, I think I stick with the PP.

24. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

I've had that happen quite a few times lately with minor ticks in new vinyl; they disappear with either a wet clean or just playing through them a few times.

But I wouldn't expect it with skips, though I've never had that with new records; just old ones where I use it as a clear signal that it's time to go :)

Lundqvist likes this.
  25. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

That’s what’s confused me, these were not just small but annoying defects but big ones that were making the record unlistenable. I’m certainly not complaining though, it’s just really strange :)

kt66brooklyn and Petter Premberg like this.