'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. I don’t buy the records need rest argument. While I wouldn’t play them over and over, I doubt you would impose much damage unless your cart is mistracking.

I have seen the argument before and it is basically heat related. That the record heats up and softens and can become deformed if played again. It would take at most 15-20 minutes to cool. But I have anecdotally played records and even single tracks repeated times and have not noticed any deterioration.

Also, I don’t understand the incessant directive to stay on the thread topic with every post. There can be some back and forth conversation and it will resolve itself and head back towards the topic at hand. Do we really need a separate thread for every thought that we have?

2. Xulio

Xulio Forum Resident

Yes it showed up sooner than expected here. And strangely cheaper to buy local than Amazon. Grabbed it and canceled my preorder. How does it look and sound? Rhetorical question of course. Tone poetry awesomeness.

3. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

This sums up all of my thoughts on the current state of this thread perfectly.

dastinger, Dubmart, musictoad and 4 others like this.
  4. 99khan

99khan Forum Resident

My sentiments exactly.

dastinger, Smith, Dubmart and 3 others like this.
  5. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Just glanced at the "Top 180 gram Vinyl" list over at Acoustic Sounds:

[​IMG]

5 out of 15 titles are Tone Poets!
    (#15 got cut off...)

6. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

And 9 of 15 are jazz. Clearly the jazz hounds are worth selling to. This may explain why there is a profusion of new audiophile jazz reissues now. Its like the labels have woken up to this fact

dastinger, nosliw, Joe Harley and 8 others like this.
  7. Briskit

Amen to that!
    Although the sales stats probably look significantly different at a more "mainstream" vendor like Amazon...

8. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

True but given all the delays in getting the records out to us there seems to be more then one indicator that well prepared jazz product can sell. Ok i know I want this to be true so Im a tad biased. :oops:

SoundDoctor likes this.
  9. Briskit

What would really make me happy: hearing that Sony and Warner etc. were all employing Joe Harley as a consultant on their reissue programs.

dastinger, mcwlod, Santo10 and 8 others like this.
  10. Kicking off my Saturday with some coffee and jazz.

Up first - Now He Sings, Now He Sobs. So good!

11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Listened to side one of this one last night. Another superb winner. A little on the "pop" side of the fence but so good nonetheless!

12. Nice! Seems you scored this one early? I’m very excited for this title. Funky!

SoundDoctor likes this.
  13. avanti1960

yes, my record store guy just got it yesterday! i was stopping by to pick up something else and he pointed it out to me. such an incredible series.

14. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Not only that but these are “new” reissue titles that haven’t been reissued a billion times before. Give us fresh stuff done well and we will buy!

15. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i'm on the fence with this one. i haven't listened to this one in a while, but my recollection is that it is somewhat of a clunker. tell me i'm wrong, please?

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  16. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Remind me again what’s your local? You may recall im in the burbs and usually stop by mile high records in wheaton, as I live right by in Glen Ellyn (I could have swore I read that’s your local too)

17. avanti1960

mile LONG records!

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im gonna have to cook me some beans, fry some taters and buy some chow chow.

Know why?

Because Im gonna have "Cornbread" in a week! :cool:

action pact, ausgraeme and hutlock like this.
  19. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Yeah, I was in the same boat with Mr. Shing-A-Ling. Not usually my cup of tea, but I've been streaming it in my truck and it connected on a nice drive through the rolling hills. And it's one of Joe's picks, sooo...:cool:. Just pulled the trigger a few hours ago, but the delay may have cost me getting it on release day.

20. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

OMG my bad! Yes mile long of course, darn Freudian slip! I’ll plan on stopping by this weekend.

21. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Also remember that Fremer's 100 AAA LPs list probably boosted the sales of some of those.

nosliw, AFA and Stu02 like this.
  22. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

There was some discussion about this a couple weeks ago. I think the matter was sufficiently covered. Even so, I came across this clip where the musicians -- albeit not Blue Note -- were discussing this very matter among themselves. If this is interesting to you, the discussion begins at ~ 7:50.

Rob Zarzecki likes this.
  23. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Again thanks for the heads up! Just got back from mile long with my copy :)

avanti1960 and SoundDoctor like this.
  24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

The Lou Donaldson is very different from the typically jazz/BN record I typically dig, but this one sounds fantastic. It kills my original liberty records blue label easily! The proverbial “breath of life” is so easily heard and conveyed on this TP. Musically, this is a super fun, party, danceable record, with killer drum beats and a fantastic organ and guitar sound. Blue Mitchell’s trumpet is a bit farther back into the mix in comparison to my original liberty but otherwise I call this TP a homerun.

nosliw, AFA, avanti1960 and 3 others like this.
  25. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I went out on a limb a while back and predicted Lou Donaldson's Mr. Shing-A-Ling would be the best-sounding (SQ) record to date in the series. What do you think?

By the way, for some of our younger members, a little background:

Shing-A-Ling is a slang term for Boogaloo. Boogaloo is both the music and the dance to that music. As near as I know the terms are interchangeable. Let's look further beneath that rock.

On April 7th, 1967, Lou Donaldson and company* recorded the Alligator Boogaloo album for Blue Note Records. That album's coming down the pike in the BN80 series!

October 27th. 1967, they were back at Rudy's studio recording Mr. Shing-A-Ling. You might tear a seam calling these two albums bookends to each other, but it's not much of a stretch. But wait, there's more....

March 15th, 1968, we find Lou Donaldson's band back recording Midnight Creeper album.

November 6th, 1968, here they come again recording Lou Donaldson's Say It Loud album.

April 25th, 1969, more of a good thing with Lou Donaldson's Hot Dog album.

August 22, 1969/January 9th, 1970 bring us Lou Donaldson's Everything I Play Is Funky.

June 12th, 1970, and we have Lou Donaldson's Pretty Things album.

November 7th, 1970, the band records The Scorpion, a live album recorded at The Cadillac Club in Newark, NJ. And that completes the series to my mind. Lou continued to record for Blue Note but this album marks the end of this era.

* Lou Donaldson, Alto
    Lonnie Smith, organ
    George Benson, guitar
    Melvin Lastie, coronet
    Idris Muhammad (aka Leo Morris), drums

Each subsequent date has minor changes in the line-up. I am delighted the first two albums are getting the treatment as Tone Poet/BN80 releases. All eight would be welcome additions.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    polchik, nosliw, Joti Cover and 6 others like this.