'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Anyone getting the Acoustic Sounds Series Oscar Peterson Night Train that ships tomorrow. I have the ORG 45 cut by Bernie Grundman, but could be convinced to get the new one is it’s mastered better (and I prefer 33 RPM). It’s mastered by Ryan K. Smith and his stuff or AP has been really good in the past.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  2. Josquin des Prez

Go sit in the corner and think about what you just did.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  3. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Corner + martini, I'll be fine

4. Hankenstein

Hankenstein Forum Resident

No, I like it enough to want one or two albums of them, but I don't need all the albums Byrd and Pepper did together :)

5. Josquin des Prez

Fait enough. If you’re going to pick one or two my call would be Cat Walk and Royal Flush. Those are still the best of the lot, IMO.

Hankenstein, Mark J and kt66brooklyn like this.
  6. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

To my mind, such as it is, Byrd/Adams was one of the great front line teams. Along with Miles & Coltrane, Clifford Brown & Sonny Rollins, Joe Hen & Kenny Dorham, Lee Morgan & Hank Mobley, etc.

Aeryn Sun, Dignan2000, ETSEQ and 5 others like this.
  7. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Some news with the 2022 Tone Poet.
    It looks like voting continued last night.
    This morning, I've asked the mods to please confirm its closed because I cannot see after voting.
    I have the same view as everyone else, which makes it a little convoluted.
    Still haven't heard back yet.

Stick Up! looks to take the checkered flag.[​IMG]

8. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Splitting votes on two different Blue Trains kind of makes a mess of the results but I'm not surprised the top three were Blue Train, Stick-Up, and Breaking Point

Kimiimacman and kt66brooklyn like this.
  9. fjn04

fjn04 Forum Resident

I bought much less this year...only picked up Blue Train Stereo and the Kenny Burrell. I must admit if there was over the top
    accolades for Stick Up or Breaking Point, I didn't pick that up. I do love Bobby Hutcherson: Oblique though. I only have a dozen
    or so anyway, so I'm not suggesting anything negative about the 2022 batch. I'm not nearly as versed as many here. That said,
    I'm very happy to have the handful of Music Matters and dozen or so Tone Poets I have. I'd say may favorites from the TP's are
    Shorter: ETC, and Oblique. I also love the other S/T Burrell from last year. The Sam Rivers: Contours is growing on me...that's
    another good one.

Funky Boss likes this.
  10. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

His lines are so inventive and compelling. He has a sound like no other.

scotti, Mark J and Josquin des Prez like this.
  11. Josquin des Prez

If you want to hear another great baritone like that, listen to The Straight Horn of Steve Lacy. One of my favorite jazz albums. Charles Davis on bari is great, and the combination of bari and soprano is done really well, with just bass/drums to accompany.

Dignan2000, mktracy and 420JJJazz666 like this.
  12. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Wow, looking at that 2022 TP poll I realized I didn't buy any of them. I've felt overwhelmed this past year by all the great Jazz reissues.:sweating:

uzn007 and NorthNY Mark like this.
  13. G E

G E Senior Member

interesting you mention this. I was slumming it on the ElusiveDisc website about a month ago and see “One Flight Up” is in stock, limited supply. I mentioned it to a friend who was looking for it.

a couple weeks later he’s at my place and pulls it out of the bag and shows me it’s a Cisco imprint! I had no idea that’s what ElusiveDisc had.

of course we do a shootout with my TP!

The result? If I had both I’d keep both. They are beautiful productions and there are some notable differences.

The Cisco is creamier in its presentation - lush even. All the detail is there too. Very nice.

The TP is livelier- slightly more forward upper midrange and a tad hotter high end … and it’s really exciting.

I wouldn’t call either the better production and ideally I’d have both. Had I noticed it was a Cisco imprint that day, I’d have bought it for me. Especially at their asking price of $25. It’s the predecessor of Impex and I’m impressed with their work.

at least I know it’s in a good home!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    Dignan2000, JoFr, charlesp and 3 others like this.
  14. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Imagine if someone bought all the Tone Poets, BNC, Verve AS, Contemporary, One Steps, UHQRs, etc released in 2022.

Wonder what the total outlay would be.

Aeryn Sun, ausgraeme and GabrielJazz like this.
  15. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Sorry, but seeing McLean with one vote automatically invalidates the results.

16. Josquin des Prez

I have a fair amount. Maybe fewer of the One-Steps and UHQR. All but one Tone Poet. All but a couple/few Verve AS, All but one Contemporary AS, and the BNC I don’t have, I either already have as MMJ or they are funk jazz I don’t want.

When I die, the sale of my record collection will fund the cure of cancer and shelter for all unwanted dogs. :)

Elofan, G E and brimuchmuze like this.
  17. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

If you recall, I wrote an essay in this thread about how much I love that record. But I do think the poll is correct that it wasn't the Tone Poet of the Year. Awesome record though!

18. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I love it too, but didn't vote it numero uno either. Will the brilliant soul who did, please stand up?

And no more polls beyond two choices with only one selection, please :)

bruinuclafan likes this.
  19. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

I gotta say I was blown away when I put Stick Up! on the platter. There's some magic in those notes that float the room. If you don't have it yet, it's a super LP.

20. Josquin des Prez

I really like the McLean too, but I like his more progressive stuff better. That’s where he shines. It didn’t rate all that high on my survey, but I am pulling it out now to revisit. Maybe I’ll like it better now.

21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I sure hope many of you have the Donald Byrd on the way!!! To say this is another highlight of the series, well just wait until you hear this one for yourselves. Incredible lower end with a perfect soundstage just lets you feel like you are hanging out in an awesome jazz club! I would get this just to listen to Pepper's sax killing it out of the right speaker, damn! he sounds so awesome. With that said, the rest of Donald and his new band delivers the goods big time as well and then some.

Listened to it once locked in, took a break and listened to side one of Joe Henderson's "Elements" with Alice Coltrane and cut by KG (such a great record) and then another full listen of the Byrd, locked it once again and just can't wait for another listen tomorrow. My copy is perfect, jacket, flat and quiet throughout.

Dignan2000, day1953, Swann36 and 5 others like this.
  22. Josquin des Prez

Sadly, Amazon doesn’t show me getting the Byrd until Tuesday. But I am getting new shoes tomorrow that have been backordered since early December. If my feet feel good, then my system sounds good. Just sayin’

Swann36 and rcsrich like this.
  23. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

That would be me and I’d rather not know the answer.

Aeryn Sun, darkscarf, rcsrich and 5 others like this.
  24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I have it at my local store but not picking it up until next week. I also have an OG mono of it but want to hear in in stereo. Since I had the Kirsten Edkins on order as well and now it does look like my copy will ship any day, I was watching my weekly spend.

So again I scratch my head after listening to the Donald Byrd last night. $36 and free shipping...UHQR of Can't Buy A Thrill, $150 plus you then have to pay for shipping. I'm not saying the Byrd sounds as good as a UHQR, but it sounds great. But if folks keep buying these over priced boxes that house these killer sounding records, it will never stop. That is $130 more than a Tone Poet or an Acoustic Sound Series title. And what blows my mind is I as well continue to bite the bait from time to time.

NorthNY Mark, G E, rcsrich and 2 others like this.
  25. Paul Aiden

Paul Aiden Forum Resident

Apart from blue train. I have the mono and it’s the only tone poet that didn’t fit for some reason.