'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Pearson

Pearson Forum Resident

Actually, I do not own a copy of the BN80 release but am comparing to a sound clip another member posted in the BN80 thread. And like in that clip, the problem on my 'Etcetera' is not a steadily recurring pitch variation, as would be the case for an off-center pressing, but rather occasional variations as if stemming from tape stretch or other tape damage.

2. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

The only mono title in the series announced so for is going to be BLP 1523 Kenny Burrell, and it was recorded only in mono.
    Also, don't be fooled by some later fake stereo early Blue Note titles, those "electronically Re-Recorded To Simulate Stereo" editions suck.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  3. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Just listened to Etcetera for the first time and... wow. Out of all my Rti, Optimal, and QRP pressings, this is the quietest by far. I dropped the needle and didn't hear a sound! I thought my volume wasn't on! Hat's off to @Joe Harley and the TP team.

4. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

RTI is the best pressing plant in the world IMO. followed by Pallas and QRP.

5. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Record Industry in the Netherlands is pretty awesome.

6. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics Thread Starter

Pallas have been just as consistent in quality (and QC) as RTI in my experience. And they provide far better inner sleeves. QRP are up there with the two (silent pressings), but they've had quiet a few issues with off center pressings.

I like what those companies do, but none of them comes even close to japanese pressings.

patient_ot likes this.
  7. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Thanks Joe but this puts me in an even bigger quandary! My 1983 Toshiba sounds great but these Tone Poets sound wonderful.

Joe Harley likes this.
  8. Inner sleeve options are up to what the client wants to pay for.....

GentleSenator, Cervelo and Dubmart like this.
  9. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

I'll be accused of being biased, but I also have the Toshiba issue. I'll just say that I think you'll be very pleased by the comparison.

wellers73, 99khan, Joti Cover and 5 others like this.
  10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I’ve been beefing up my BN collection lately so it be nice to know what Joe was planning to release in 2020 so I don’t have to buy titles twice.

Rob Zarzecki and SoundDoctor like this.
  11. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Thanks for taking the time to reply Joe. Much appreciated. Looking forward to it and I really love the work you are doing. Bringing us superb reissues of Blue Note Records at an affordable price.

Joti Cover likes this.
  12. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Uncompromising Expression mentions about Bobby Hutcherson's Dialogue "this definitely represents his finest hour" (p. 274). Hopefully this will be a Tone Poet or BN80.

13. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Joe, biased or not, I think you're spot on. I know I am super happy with the ones I've heard. Have you read my thoughts on those four titles (that Cem Kurosman sent me)? See the link:

Aural Musings

Joe Harley and Xulio like this.
  14. I remembered y'all shouting this one out way back in the thread... Just found a really nice original press (VANGELDER deadwax with very little sign of play on both sides) for $6.95 at a store. Unfortunately - there is a big bit of "muck" on the last bit of "Soul Dance" and the first minute or two of "Ethos"... Looks like something that my Spin Clean won't be able to tackle. I may go rogue here and try some of the alternate cleaning methods I've read about. But hey, for 4 out of 6 tracks for $6.95...

15. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I had to run that one down track by track on YouTube for quality control. I recoiled when I saw James Spaulding listed in the credits. This one, however, passes the Gentlemen's Test. And what does that consist of?

The definition of a Gentlemen: a "musician" (I use that term loosely) who can play the flute ... but doesn't. Alfred Lion and Rudy Van Gelder should have each taken one end of that flute and cracked it over James Spaulding's rear end the first time he showed up in the studio with it. Whether it was a marketing ambition gone wrong, I don't know; but that flute has soiled more otherwise fine recording dates than any other instrument. Bunch of nonsense.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    timzigs, recstar24 and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  16. So I take it you are not a huge fan of the flute? :D

Fender Relic and MisterBritt like this.
  17. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I would say this week alone it has prevented me from moving forward with Bobby Hutcherson's Patterns album and Grant Green's Grantstand. How much aggregate damage has been caused by the addition of that blasted flute is incalculable.

action pact likes this.
  18. Hahaha, understood. I have actually come to tolerate it on a rare occasion. Could not stand it one bit for the longest time.

action pact and MisterBritt like this.
  19. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Hilarious! :biglaugh:

And I love the flute!

20. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

:laugh:
    I’m with you. As soon as I hear the flute in jazz, ugh.

action pact and MisterBritt like this.
  21. Please @Joe Harley we really need clues of the 2020 tone poet.. :)
    This year's releases are all great titles, now I'm waiting for my Lee Morgan, Lou Donaldson, Baby Face and Dexter Gordon's to be send to Paraguay... will take a long long time to arrive, but it will worth the wait ..

Joti Cover and JMCIII like this.
  22. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

He’s already given plenty of clues already on this thread! You should be able to find them by searching for 2020.

23. Thanks ! Will try the search

24. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I never liked Yazz flute until I heard James Spaulding on Blue Note albums. Wahoo! is a favorite for one and I wish I had a copy of Bobby Hutcherson's Patterns. Different strokes indeed. :)

25. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Eric Dolphy was a fine flautist.
    "Out To lunch"!!

funknik, scotti, NorthNY Mark and 4 others like this.