'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

That is true many times throughout these 70+ titles. All the way since day one and Chick Corea’s record.

Eamon, mktracy and ultron9 like this.
  2. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I think part of it might be the system on which you play it. I usually don't play spotify on my main system. Sometimes, but not always. Records are played on a real stereo, and I usually listen with good headphones. I can get basically the same effect listening to spotify on my main rig. Streaming is what I use while working (most of the time).

3. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

So we got the okay to announce that Joe and Kevin will be mastering Donald Byrd's "Live At The Half Note Cafe Vol. 2 in a few months and maybe a 2025 release, but just speculation right now.

He got to listen recently to the test pressing of "Let Freedom Ring" and said it sounded great! (I hope he's being humble about that)

4. MilesTrane

MilesTrane Forum Resident

Just want to give a quick shout out to Bobby Hutcherson. Listening to The Kicker tonight. Whether he leads the session or is a side man on the session…everything he is a part of is in my wheel house, it seems. If you told me when I was a teenager that I’d become a big fan of a jazz guy born in 1941 who played vibes, I’d have laughed. Thanks to Joe and Kevin for introducing me to this artist and this instrument through the Tone Poet series!

5. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

LOL - for me you could end the sentence right there.

I didn't grow up in a jazz household (neither parent nor sibling ever listened to it). Who knows what would have happened for me were it not for discovering Miles Davis' electric music on my own after I burned out on the Big 5 progressive rock bands. Thankfully my wife at least tolerates it (the non-crazy stuff, anyway).

6. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

It's like waiting for the next Jack Ryan season :edthumbs:

7. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Off topic, but since we talk about Grateful Dead here, I am spinning Diga Rhtyhm Band right now which features Mickey Hart from the Grateful Dead, Zakir Hussain, and a slew of other great percussionist; and lets not forget guest appearances from Jerry Garcia, and is my all time favorite drum/percussion album. While reading the back I noticed that it said mastered by Kevin Gray 1976. This has to be some of his earliest work; and while not hard to find and reasonably affordable, this is in need of an audiophile reissue (with reflective cover like the original) to simply turn people on to the music. I was fortunate enough to discover this album at age 18 on a headful. Mind blowing music still

8. Great record.

9. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Here’s an example of what I was talking about. I have four LPs of Jean-Philippe Collard playing the piano works of Faure, recorded in the early 70s on French EMI. I acquired them in the mid-80s and I don’t think I’ve played them much or at all since then. Right now I’m playing the first of them, The Nocturnes Disques 1. Great stuff, and I’m really enjoying it. This is exactly why I collect all kinds of albums and why I don’t get rid of records I’m not playing.

PATB, mktracy and bruinuclafan like this.
  10. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

One of the best examples of what the Tone Poet series does for under the radar great Blue Note records.
    Grant Green - Nigeria
    Recorded in ‘62 (with the PHENOMENAL Sonny Clark), and released in 1980.
    You can’t go wrong with a Grant Green-infused musical evening.
    I’m so relaxed by the Sonny Clark piano solos I often grab this record when on a Sonny Clark trip. Then you get into it and Art Blakey bangs your head in a great way.
    A helluva record.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Vibrolux_Reverb

Im spinning The Cooker right now. One of Lees best. Honesty better than the majority of Music Matters Lee releases. Surprised it didn’t get released in that series as it is a stone cold classic

AaronW, scotti, Morbius and 1 other person like this.
  12. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

The Cooker is excellent, and it does cook, but I can think of three MMJs I like as much or better: Search for the New Land, Procrastinator and Tom Cat. Just my opinion of course. :)

Aura, garrincha, Dignan2000 and 8 others like this.
  13. Vibrolux_Reverb

I agree with that statement, but would put it over Candy, Lee Way, Indeed, Vol. 3, The Gigolo, and maybe Sidewinder.

G E, Josquin des Prez and mktracy like this.
  14. Dreadatthecontrols

Dreadatthecontrols Forum Resident

Or Bosch Legacy

Jasonbraswell likes this.
  15. Trifonius

Trifonius Jazz

I also really like Cornbread

Pelts, mktracy, scotti and 1 other person like this.
  16. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Now all of a sudde
    You didn't need to say a word, that picture says it all. No disagreement from me regading what that post-it says.

edit - Anyone else like the song "The Law Of Falling and Catching Up" as much as I do...

mktracy and garrincha like this.
  18. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

depends on how baked I am, my friend!

Aeryn Sun and bjlefebvre like this.
  19. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

:uhhuh::uhhuh::biglaugh:

20. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

I was listening to The Big Beat last night with that same lineup. They really play well together.

mktracy and GabrielJazz like this.
  21. ETSEQ

ETSEQ Forum Resident

Wait, Nigeria is a totally different lineup than The Big Beat except for Blakey. Did you mean Gooden's Corner?

Jasonbraswell likes this.
  22. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

It was Preach Brother! with Clark and Green no Blakey afterall. Had Blakey on my mind because I was spinning Moanin', Big Beat and Somethin' Else last night too.

mktracy and ETSEQ like this.
  23. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

Same with me - I mostly reach for Grant Green when I want to listen to Sonny Clark.

24. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

There are apparently two new Michael Connelly productions in train with Amazon, one a Renee Ballard series, the other a Jerry Edgar (Bosch partners).
    To keep slightly on topic, the vinyl of the Blue Note Leonard Cohen tribute, Here it is, sounds lovely. Mastered by Bernie Grundman.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
  25. G E

G E Senior Member

Now in house:

Pictures of Heath
    Byrd at Half Note
    Night Train

The second two ordered from Uverse Sunday and arrived today even though via Media Mail. Amazing.

Lots of listening to do!

Still awaiting my replacement of We Get Requests from Amazon. They are slower than usual taking care of the swap.

Crazysteve and mktracy like this.