'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well it appears to be time for a couple of Tone Poets to grace my TT. I think we have derailed this thread pretty good for now and @NettleBed I truly respect what you have to say, but we should sidebar this for now don't you think...

And may I give a loud shoutout for the best sounding MOV record in my collection, released for the first time on vinyl, the first album from "Days Of The New" on 2 LPs with the sound a 9.5/10 to me. Holy crap does that instrumentation sound fantastic!

GyroSE, kt66brooklyn, mr.dave and 2 others like this.
  2. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

3. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

4. R.T.Firefly

R.T.Firefly Forum Resident

Good read. Thanks, I didn't know it. And if anyone wants to get some background reading on Herbie Nichols before the TP comes out in October, then the recently mentioned A.B. Spellman book "Four Lives in the Bebop Business" is a must read. The biographical chapter on Nichols is the shortest and it's downright heartbreaking, but it also sheds light on something we don't discuss at all here - i.e. the practical side of a jazz musician's life in 1950's and 1960's and how difficult it was to get your own music heard and noticed even if you were great.

Also, the article reminded me about Rodney Kendrick. What's happening with him? It's been years. Even if there's no new music, there must be live recordings of his worth releasing, like the duets with Randy Weston. Here's a snippet of one:

j4yheindeo, pilaf, Dai and 4 others like this.
  5. Dreadatthecontrols

Dreadatthecontrols Forum Resident

6. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I played Bass on Top last night while cooking. killer album, all charts are great. Mr PC is awesome with the bow!!

airdronian, GyroSE, BluTom and 5 others like this.
  7. darkscarf

darkscarf Forum Resident

Does anyone know if "No Room for Squares" made it to the unofficial list of releases we had a comment from JH and co?
    I ordered a nice Japanese pressing that cost me dearly to scratch the itch and FedEx lost the parcel :disgust:
    Not sure how much longer I can resist an AP 45 or a sealed and even more expensive Japanese copy that is winking at me from my Discogs shopping cart.

Just thinking how awesome that iconic cover would look on a lacquered Stoughton jacket though :whistle:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    420JJJazz666, mktracy and Matadore like this.
  8. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I don't remember seeing that one rumored

I hope it doesn't fall under the no MMJ rule being that it has tracks that also were used on The Feelin's Good

I get super confused between Feelin/Turnaround/Squares and what material belongs to what sessions and which cuts were used on which album

mktracy, Matadore and Hankenstein like this.
  9. darkscarf

darkscarf Forum Resident

Just 2 tracks doesn't count, right? Was that in the rule book?

[​IMG]

10. Hankenstein

Hankenstein Forum Resident

I made an excel sheet for that. I did the same for Miles’ prestige sessions and 10” and 12” albums :laugh:

11. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Do share if you'd like! ha

Hankenstein likes this.
  12. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

jazzdisco.org: Jazz Discography Project

bluemooze, Mr. Heartbreak and RyeB like this.
  13. Hankenstein

If I find them …
    But the act of assembling them actually helps to get the overview. Alternatively, you might create playlists of the sessions. The old Ron McMaster CDs actually reordered the tracks to match the sessions instead the original albums, I plan to acquire them at one point…

14. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

Agreed, the Days Of The New record sounds fantastic!

scotti likes this.
  15. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

I'm not really sure what the best way to approach this material is. The 12"s are of their time in the sense that they are meant to cash in on the new 12" format. There's a balance between "keep it short" (like the 10"s) and "include all the material" (the CDs) and I don't think the 12"s are in the best place. I've never liked the 12" cover art, the 10"s are to my mind far superior.

Hankenstein likes this.
  16. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

I think Hank was talking about the Mobleys, no? I recompiled the Straight No Filter, The Turnaround, and No Room For Squares CDs into session order... and gave them composite titles, but I'd have to check the shelf to remind myself what.

And now I'm reminded it's years since I listened to them.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    Hankenstein likes this.
  17. kdawg

kdawg Senior Member

Taking this one out for a spin tonight

[​IMG]

I may go with Tina Brooks next. We'll see where this takes me!

18. kdawg

kdawg Senior Member

I also just noticed that Amazon has Scolohofo on sale for $38. I just jumped all over that. I had been waiting for the price to drop a bit

JimSmiley, mktracy, Thom Lieb and 2 others like this.
  19. Hankenstein

Yes, in the post @Balcanquhal quoted I was talking about Mobley's 63-65 albums. But above I mentioned Miles' repackaged Prestige albums, and I agree with @Balcanquhal that the 12" format is not the best way to hear the music. The same is probably true of Monk's Prestige output, but I have to admit that I'm not really familiar with it. Blue Note was guilty of that, too, with the early hard bop recordings of Miles and J.J.Johnson.

Dai likes this.
  20. Dunedin

Dunedin Forum Resident

21. kdawg

kdawg Senior Member

spieg16, meadorbd, Dunedin and 4 others like this.
  22. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Holy crap what a price. Grabbed it! Thanks! I'd been holding off, telling myself I just don't need it. But I couldn't resist. I'd been looking to pick up the Jackie McLean pressing from this box, but it would be around $50 to get just that. Wow!

CBackley, kdawg, NorthNY Mark and 3 others like this.
  23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I saw that for less at my local Newbury Comics.

24. caleb1138

caleb1138 Forum Resident

Someone talk me out of this...

GabrielJazz, kdawg and meadorbd like this.
  25. meadorbd

meadorbd Listener

I just bought it. My wife was like "stop talking about it and buy it already." She's the greatest.

timzigs, CBackley, kdawg and 6 others like this.