'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

Reminding me what a great run of titles we have for the second half of this year!

2. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

dorer, SideShowRobb, mktracy and 3 others like this.
  3. fjn04

fjn04 Forum Resident

I couldn't pass up the buy 2/get 1 deal from Sound Of Vinyl. I ordered Slow Drag and Harold Vick: Steppin Out, both of which were on my wish list. I went with Dance of Death for my 3rd pick.
    With the great care in packing I have experienced from the likes of The In Groove, Plaid Room, and Music Direct, I hope SOV has a high standard. I wouldn't want the lack of quality
    packing I'm hearing about w/ Rhino. I ordered The Cars from them, so I have two fingers on each hand crossed.

mktracy, rcsrich and Jasonbraswell like this.
  4. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Nice picks! Those sales are hard to pass up when they fall into your lap.

I received my The Cars S/T and posted a pic of the mailer. I understand shipping damage does happen to all of us but it looks adequate to me. Maybe some folks were getting them out of a different location or a night shift.

5. caleb1138

caleb1138 Forum Resident

On the topic of packaging: I purchased four albums from the Blue Note store during their recent sale and they arrived yesterday. I've heard bad things about their packaging but I was satisfied with it. The mailer was quite similar to Acoustic Sounds with slightly less sturdy cardboard - but still seemed designed to protect against corner dings and the like. Maybe because I ordered several albums (not one or two)?

I also went for the Sound of Vinyl sale. I'll splurge on the $40 jazz reissues whenever these pop up. I was trying to choose my third and got hooked on Pharaoh Sanders' Karma after streaming it for just ten seconds!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
    rcsrich and Jasonbraswell like this.
  6. I received the LP ad CD today. Very nice!

7. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Are ya gonna throw both copies of Nigeria on at the same time? Quad mix!!

Bebopper, abracax and Jasonbraswell like this.
  8. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Woah, I was 22 pages behind... again... exhausting, but I read them all and want to miss nothing!!!

Two quick thoughts:
    1. Time for Tyner is a standout of the series for me. I recently updated my Discogs collection / profile. I have every single Tone Poet title. The Tyner release rises to the top 10% for me, for sure. I love the lineup and the performances on this one a lot.
    2. Whoever mentioned Queens of the Stoneage upthread... I wasn't so much a fan one way or the other; however, I kinda liked Kyuss and fell head over heels for Yawning Man. All seem to qualify for the 'desert rock' genre whereby those bands hauled a trailer bed and generators out into the desert and play(ed) epic shows. Anyway, Yawning Man is simply amazing. I have everything they released up until the pandemic. I need to revisit and top off the collection. They deserve more fans!!!

9. meadorbd

meadorbd Listener

I have spent some time in Joshua Tree. An acquaintance wrote the liner notes for one of yawning man's albums. Good stuff.

Aura likes this.
  10. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Omg! Thank you for sharing that. It looks like the band paused around the pandemic. There is one live album I'm missing. Hopefully they will return!

11. meadorbd

meadorbd Listener

I'm in NYC for work. On recommendations elsewhere in this forum I paid a visit to Jazz Record Center. I could have done a lot of damage there... They had many TPs on my list that are OOP. I picked up the Baby Face Willett and they had a "looks like a needle has never touched it" copy of the Tina Brooks Mosaic box set for a reasonable price. Maybe that will save me from buying a couple of other TPs. :)

12. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I got my two new titles yesterday. Time for Tyner is outstanding and I already know it goes into my 'Essentials' list. I'm not putting it in my 'Gems' list only because that is limited to ten titles for now, and I already know Schizophrenia and Extensions will become Gems, thus bumping two existing titles.

I have an old Liberty pressing of Slow Drag. It was already a really good album, but the new Tone Poet is so much better I can barely believe it's the same one. It's great! This is now my favorite Donald Byrd that's not from the Pepper Adams sessions.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  13. fjn04

fjn04 Forum Resident

Ha...the angry night shift workers aren't getting their pay differential. Early reports on The Cars are quite good. I could have happily lived with my OG, but spoiled as we are...

Jasonbraswell likes this.
  14. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I thought Slow Drag was good. It didn’t hit me as much as I expected based on comments here. But Time for Tyner blew me away. I loved every second of it! What a great release. I had never heard the album before.

I’ll even go so far as to say that I love the album art. Yeah, you read that right. I love it. Front and back covers.

15. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Man it's quite good as soon as the opening tack hits, but I have several classic rock albums from that Sterling mastering era. I really do appreciate their sound. The did great work.

16. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

#TeamTyner

GnuHigh, ETSEQ, CBackley and 2 others like this.
  17. Lamus

Lamus Forum Resident

re: Time for Tyner, I liked the album art way better in person. I always thought it was pretty bad when I would see it on my phone. McCoy’s portrait is nice and clear and the clock face lines create an interesting effect.

18. Tricky By Name

Tricky By Name Forum Resident

The second half of this year is quite possibly the best run of Tone Poets yet - it's really hard to pick the ones I'm looking forward to most, but if pushed I'll go with:

The Right Touch
    Schizophrenia
    Extensions
    Easterly Winds
    Let Em Roll

Fair to say that I'll be picking them all up though, and I'm sure some of those I know less well (or not at all) will surprise me too!

19. abracax

abracax Forum Resident

One Flight Up and The Kicker is now being sold by Rarewaves on Ebay for £41.69 each. In case any UK thread members are interested. Not sure whether these represses will make it over here, so I grabbed them both. Pricey but it saved me a few quid over getting them from the Blue Note US store.

Tricky By Name and SideShowRobb like this.
  20. SideShowRobb

SideShowRobb Forum Resident

I’m eagerly awaiting the Pearson too but top of the pile is the Sonny Clark. I’ve given Easterly Winds a wild card entry onto my list as I’ve only had a passing listen or two when first announced. Don’t know much about this one and look forward to reading more about Wilson and the session nearer the time of reissue to build on the anticipation!

Sonny Clark Trio - Sonny Clark Trio
    Wayne Shorter - Schizophrenia
    Duke Pearson - The Right Touch
    Jack Wilson - Easterly Winds

21. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

In the uk Amz it’s not out till June 20th and appears to only have music on 3 sides .. do tell does the 4th side have anything or is it just blank ?

22. abracax

abracax Forum Resident

Imagine trying to cue that up. Get your Technics 1200's, monitoring headphones, and mixer ready :laugh:

rcsrich and Bebopper like this.
  23. Chakana

Chakana Forum Resident

Exactly what I was hoping to hear from at least one! :D
    Thanks a lot!

rcsrich likes this.
  24. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

This might need to be adjusted for inflation, with the influx in top tier titles currently looming ;)

rcsrich likes this.
  25. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Here's an interesting one for Mr. Tone Poet

February 10, 1965

Andrew Hill
    Freddie Hubbard
    Joe Henderson
    Richard Davis
    Joe Chambers
    1. "Euterpe" – 7:18
    2. "Erato" – 4:01
    3. "Pax" – 7:13
    4. "Eris" – 10:42
    5. "Calliope" – 10:10
    First featured on the second half of the One For One compilation, and later released in 1995 on The Complete Blue Note Andrew Hill Sessions (1963-66).

In 2006 Cuscuna put it out as "Pax" with a different sequencing. An interesting note on Discogs:
    The first three tracks are taken from a equalized, second-generation master and the remainder of the disc is taken from Rudy Van Gelder's original tapes, which explains the changes in stereo spread and sonic character.

I know there are very few masters missing from the Blue Note vault but I'd be curious to know if this is one of of them (cc: @scotti)

wellers73, mktracy, kdawg and 10 others like this.