'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Thank you! Just jumped on my VPN, selecting 1 of 75 Netherlands VPN addresses and watching now. Perfect for Wednesday evening!!!

dastinger likes this.
  2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

The detail that doesn’t mesh with the GoFundMe to me is that he’s a fully salaried tenured professor at UCLA making nearly $200k per year and must have great health insurance too.

bluemooze and MisterBritt like this.
  3. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I read your query with interest. I see that you have listened to several presentations, to include the Tone Poet Vol. 2. In that regard, I put on the Tone Poet vinyl tonight and listened with an ear for that. I must say I cannot hear anything like what you are describing. There is no "grainy hiss heard" on my end. Some of these, I believe, are being released as "files," whatever that means. But if you are listening to the vinyl, as I am, I can only say I do not hear anything like your description.

4. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

Etcetera Wayne Shorter.

5. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

My thoughts too. That whole thing sounded suss and surprisingly bitter (the parts about family). Sounded like the writer, whoever it was, was trying way too hard to defend themselves.

recstar24 likes this.
  6. p.analogowy

p.analogowy Forum Resident

It is only in the left channel. The place on Vol. 2 where I hear it the most is at the end of The Beads Game, starting at 8:00 or so. Then on Vol. 1 it is really audible on Isotope, from the beginning, really. I suspect it is something related to the percussion - cymbals in particular - but I would be curious if anyone would have a more precise explanation.

7. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

I think this whole thing was started by his wife. I didn't believe a word of this when I first found out. This is a scam by his wife. Apparently she keeps him from his kids as well. Classic scam!

8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Unfortunately, that's how it appears from the outside.

No matter the outcome, it's nice to see that there are so many empathetic, jazz-loving people in the world.

Francisx, Joti Cover, nosliw and 2 others like this.
  9. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I seem to recall a post by her upon hitting the $100k goal asking for more $$ rather than showing sincere appreciation. I found that odd.

10. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I put on Side Two this morning and listened with great attention to the closer, The Bead Game. No, I'm not hearing anything like what you are describing as "constant grainy hiss in the background." Your statement, "... starting at 8:00 or so" confuses me, as my version, the Tone Poet vinyl, ends well before the eight minute mark on that tune. Did you mean eight minutes into Side Two? Again, I'm not hearing anything like that on Side Two. I've listened to it three times!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    p.analogowy and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  11. p.analogowy

p.analogowy Forum Resident

Ok, so I've put on the TP LP, I'm writing as I am listening to it now, and actually the sound I am referring to starts right at the beginning of side 1, Boo Boo's birthday has it throughout. The same in Cheryl the next track, as soon as the percussion enters harder. With a stopwatch it is around 9:00 into side A, but really it is audible throughout A1 and A2. It is something cymbal-related, but it has some kind of HF unpleasantness to it...
    Previously the 8:00 mark was a reference to the Tidal version, I should have mentioned that. However, this is a live recording and I don't remember the Tone Poet ending abruptly in the middle of it, so I assumed all versions have the same length - it is 9:45 in the online version. Will know better what is going on in half an hour or so. Yet another reason to listen to this great album! :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    MisterBritt likes this.
  12. Xulio

Xulio Forum Resident

Devilette is my favorite track on first listen. Love the work of the rhythm section: jovial bassline, drums a la philly Joe Jones and wonderful touch on the piano of Barry Harris. Chapeau bas.

rxcory, nosliw, Joti Cover and 4 others like this.
  13. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Just finished listening to Donald Byrd's Slow Drag and I think that would be a great title for Tone Poet. Not sure how @Joe Harley feels about it, but there haven't been any LP reissues since the 70s and the music is very nice. That bit of Hard Bop mixed with a bit of Soul-Jazz and a blues-y piano sounds pretty good to me. You can feel the direction where Byrd was going while the arrangements are mostly still Hard Bop. Pretty interesting. And it's still a Rudy's recording (1968).

14. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Finally, I got my "Clubhouse" today. Really really great stuff. For me together with "Etcetera" and "Glamoured" this is the best Tone Poet release until now.

Dan Steele and Joe Harley like this.
  15. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Chant is going to be a fantastic addition to the TP series. All the Byrd/Adams sessions are great. Slow Drag would make for a nice reissue. So would Mustang, with Sonny Red, Hank Mobley and McCoy Tyner.

Elofan, Briskit, Rob Zarzecki and 3 others like this.
  16. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

I don't hear it either, totally mystified by this observation. I have it on again now and I have the volume way up. I don't hear anything that could be described as "constant grainy hiss". We didn't hear anything like that in mastering either.

17. Rob Zarzecki

Rob Zarzecki Forum Resident

Must pull out Mustang. .. love that record!

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  18. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I don't hear anything unusual on the the 24/96 FLAC Qobuz version nor on my LP. No noise, no hiss whatsoever.

BTW: with the big upgrade to my digital front end over the weekend, the Qobuz 24/96 version sounds nearly as good as the LP. Wow!

Hulloder and Joti Cover like this.
  19. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I love the jacket artwork they came up with, don't think this LP has ever had a proper cover until now

[​IMG]

20. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Agreed. It’s brilliant & spicy - suiting the music so well. What impressive work; I’m so in.

Joe Harley and scotti like this.
  21. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Actually I think it’s pretty weak. Looks like he’s laying on the ground. And poor font choice. It feels like the work of somebody who really has not studied the work of Reid Miles. Just being honest. Hopefully the music is better. I’m sure it is.

rxcory, blutiga and Fender Relic like this.
  22. Yeah it’s fantastic !

23. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

If you turn the album cover 90 degrees, he'll be standing straight up. But that to me is too common.

[​IMG]

nosliw, mcwlod, DeRosa and 2 others like this.
  24. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Yeah, I did a double take on that one like... what the? Too much red and weird angle pic. Record most likely great :agree:.

blutiga likes this.
  25. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

I agree....too mundane. I prefer surreal, floating to it.

Monsieur Gadbois likes this.