'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I am told that Heavenly Sweetness did not get access to Blue Note tapes and their BN reissues are from digital copies of the masters. I am happy to be proven wrong.

2. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I have around the same amount and I only had problems with two - that’s a pretty good return. Maybe I was lucky too.

DeRosa likes this.
  3. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Here is the original heavenly sweetness thread from SHF:

French label - Heavenly Sweetness Blue Note reissue series

One of he posts mentions cuscuna as the original guy to set up the series, where the lacquers would be cut from tape but then plating would take place in Europe/France. Another post is from the Robert music blogspot thing that mentions its from tape copy.

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  4. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

I'm not sure but I think the Heavenly Sweetness Blue Note reissues are cut from master tape copies.

5. Josquin des Prez

OK. Thanks for sharing that. If I run across a title I don't have I might pick it up to try.

recstar24 likes this.
  6. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Daughter's b-day today so can't hit Waterloo until tomorrow for the latest releases... but today is not about me... I keep telling myself. :)

Joti Cover likes this.
  7. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

My first detective TP release (I have all of them) too; Black Fire is visibly only very slightly off centre but the piano throughout is painful to listen to ( playing as I write this and will lift the arm as soon as I hit post reply) so shall be returning it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  8. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Got my Black Fire today, I will say that Roy Haynes' drumming on this set is just off the hook. Some really sweat quick rat-a-tat-tat playing. Really enjoyed that.

action pact, Dmann201, AFA and 5 others like this.
  9. bresna

bresna Senior Member

My copy of "Cornbread" has this same defect on Side 2. Also, the LP itself is bigger than usual and won't fit into a MFSL sleeve. I had to put it back into the sleeve it came with. I also ordered it quite a few weeks ago so I wonder if it's eligible for a return.

10. Josquin des Prez

If it's Amazon, return eligibility is based on ship date not order date.

11. Rob Zarzecki

Rob Zarzecki Forum Resident

Received a Janet Jackson 2001 LP instead of Black fire... Thanks Amazon... Funny thing is it has a Black fire upc sticker on the back... Tossed into a box too... I guess they don't even look at what they pack. Oh well, at least Burrell appears to be the real thing and came in a proper mailer. Return que here I come...

12. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

It's robots. They don't know Janet Jackson from Black Fire (so to speak).

Joe Harley likes this.
  13. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

I believe he explicitly says as much in an online interview (can't remember where).

14. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

From the two I've gotten (Takin' Off and Think!), I would agree. Think! has a bearable slight warp but sounds absolutely spectacular. I thought it was another RVG recording, but it's by one Dave Sanders, with whom I'm not familiar.

MisterBritt, Elofan and Joe Harley like this.
  15. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Lol. Somewhere in America a group of teenage girls are standing in formation, waiting to start their Janet Jackson dance routine. And through the speakers comes Andrew Hill's angular abstractions...

16. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Weird that the Kenny Burrell jacket and labels say "BN 1523" instead of "BLP 1523." On the one hand it shouldn't matter. On the other hand it seems like a slip-up, unless for some reason this was intentional.

17. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

oh great. so we'll have to add another TP release to discogs with 4-5 different label/cat. no. combos!

Clucking likes this.
  18. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Kicking off my weekend with Kenny.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Crispy Rob, Dmann201, DeRosa and 12 others like this.
  19. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Dayum, might be my fave jacket of the entire series!

20. Budgetphile

Budgetphile Forum Resident

My copy of Black Fire arrived today but I cannot listen to it until tomorrow. Life is hard. Looks free of defect. Hoping it’s as amazing as my other three.

Side note: Contours is is absolutely incredible. I can’t imagine any TP release sounding as good. The music and recording are just perfect.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  21. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

@Joe Harley - any insight as to when and where the photos in the Black Fire gatefold were taken? Looks like a New York recording studio, not Englewood Cliffs, to me.

MisterBritt, Joe Harley and scotti like this.
  22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

"Introducing"...is mono, right? Its Friday night and just making sure...

23. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Yep.

mktracy, rxcory and scotti like this.
  24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks! Just listened to side 1, started off in stereo at first (about 1 minute) and was like wait a second, then switched over to mono and oh my, this is is one sweet sounding album! Heading back down for side 2...No wonder, once again the Tone Poet line has no end in sight!

25. Black Fire arrived today. Gonna give a clean and spin it tomorrow morning. Amazon did their loose in the box shipping thing, resulting in a bent corner. I'm not too worried about it, I'll get a replacement sooner or later but so long as the vinyl plays well I won't shed any tears.

I decided to hold off on Kenny for now. I now have 3 I need to grab down the line: Gil Evans, Baby Face, and Kenny Burrell. I had the Gil Evans but returned it due to the side two defect and reacquiring hasn't been priority yet. I also may pick up Glamoured at some point, since I plan on getting all the others a complete set would be nice. Just not my cup of tea musically, but Joe Harley has changed my mind on more than one occasion.

Joe Harley and scotti like this.