'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ha! Been having some cold ones myself, and just took "Chant" for another listen. My favorite! (Joe, you picked out a classic, and Kevin, you knocked it out of the park!) I feel like a kid again when I hear music that sounds this incredible! Oh my, this one is special!

Dmann201, mktracy, timzigs and 4 others like this.
  2. Xulio

Xulio Forum Resident

They have upped the game on this round. Something is different with the sound in a good way. Second spin this morning of Hustlin’ and it sounds fantastic.

scotti and Bryce like this.
  3. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

First listen to 'Hustlin'. Absoloutely incredible. 'Chant' coming up next.

Joti Cover, scotti and garrincha like this.
  4. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

'Chant'. Brilliant. These 2 LP's are highly recommended indeed. Fantastic additions to this incredible TP series. Thank you @Joe Harley

mktracy, timzigs, garrincha and 2 others like this.
  5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well said! Did not have to watch out for a wild hockey puck flying by as I listened to this cool album. Been so blown away by the sweet sounds of "Chant", I almost forgot I got this one as well. Another afternoon spin with this gem coming up and I can't wait.

And for some crazy reason I just keep waking up with the date of 10/25 on my mind. Anyone have any idea what's going on with this? Must me some significant date in history, heck I don't know!

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  6. Nice to see some good reviews on the latest round of titles. I will grab both eventually, but likely Chant first. Love me some bari sax

Dan Steele, recstar24 and scotti like this.
  7. chuckgay

chuckgay Forum Resident

Both releases arrived yesterday from Amazon. And I happily report that each album was packaged in a separate mailer within the carton. This seems to be much more likely the case with TP vs. 80th, at least in my recent experience.
    Hustlin' is now spinning through its maiden voyage and yes. Yes. Yes. Fantastic! And, the pressing is perfectly flat and dead quiet. Great stuffs!

scotti likes this.
  8. Got up early this morning to enjoy some jazz LPs before my beloved Buckeyes kick off at 10am MTN time. Just wrapped up Bills Evans’ fabulous You Must Believe in Spring, now spinning the fantastic AP reissue of The Soulful Moods of Gene Ammons. I have a couple Tone Poets next in the queue; State of the Tenor and Contours. Awesome start to the day! Go Bucks!

timzigs, Bryce, garrincha and 3 others like this.
  9. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Thoroughly enjoying Chant - more so for Pepper and Herbie. Clean, flat, dead center pressing (at least mine is) with no noticeable defects. Takes its place in my top ten Tone Poets. @joeharley, you picked a good one. I can't wait for next month and the Tina Brooks "Minor Move."

mktracy, Joti Cover, timzigs and 2 others like this.
  10. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

You Must Believe in Spring - a gorgeous record that one.

NorthNY Mark, Topaz123 and scotti like this.
  11. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Great way to start the day! I'm watching my Utes at 11am MT. Would love to meet the Bucks in the CFP this year.

I'm really intrigued by all the great reviews of Chant. Gonna have to pick that one up.

12. Just stunning. Scott LaFaro is probably my favorite bassist to play with Evans, but Eddie Gomez just kills it on that record. And my original WB pressing sounds phenomenal to boot

Elofan, Mugrug12, ausgraeme and 3 others like this.
  13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

In all of the excitement from the past couple days these new Tone Poet titles have caused, I forgot it was Saturday and time for my Georgia Bulldogs to make some noise! We will be in the CFP this year!

With you 110%! Worth getting just to hear them deliver their magic! And "Greenmonster2420" said it nice, "Love me some bari sax"...oh yeah!

Crazysteve, timzigs, JMCIII and 2 others like this.
  14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I bought that record years ago and haven’t played it. Guess I need to!

Elofan and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  15. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Vacationing here in the Smoky’s now, so a bit jealous ya’ll have these new Tone Poet’s, but glad to have my fishin’ and college football...go Lions!

16. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

For those of you putting chant in your top 10 for tone poets...I feel bad for the other 4 left out :laugh:

Dai, MisterBritt and scotti like this.
  17. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

I think the new remastered Chant is also now on Spotify (cover image also changed to the new one recently) and it sounds fantastic.

18. Pourquoi?

19. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Yeah I'm curious too...

20. I'm not a huge fan of announcers, particularly ABC/ESPN, so jazz has been my soundtrack for much of the Buckeyes game. After State of the Tenor and Contours, I put on Introducing Kenny Burrell. That is one sweet sounding record. I love the depth in the soundstage that KG and @Joe Harley pull out of these mono tapes.

Now I am giving my newly acquired AP reissue of Taylor's Wailers its inaugural spin. Holy cow! This is shooting up my favorite jazz records list at lightning speed. And I've only played side 1!

Buckeyes cruising 42-0 and the team up north is struggling with a service academy. Can life get any sweeter?! :laugh:

Admerr, Crazysteve and scotti like this.
  21. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I think he's just joking about how there are top ten lists for something w only 14 things.
    ;)

I could be wrong

22. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Sorry, bad joke, there’s only like 14 tone poets total so a top 10 is virtually the whole series. Carry on :)

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  23. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Yup that’s it - you said it much better than I did and clearly I’m not meant for a career in standup

scotti and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  24. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I liked it.

:righton:

recstar24 likes this.
  25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

You have heard of the bakers dozen, but have you ever heard of Scotty's Top 10? It can feature up to 20 separate titles at any given time, this way no one feels left out. Ok, I will go back to my basement now, getting ready for some Dawgs! Will be listening to some sweet sounds from the Tone Poet line with the TV volume off, but I will have the game on both sets so I don't miss anything as I marvel in the awesome sounds!

Just saw the last quarter of that game, they be looking pretty good! Congrats!