'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

It is a bummer. I thought maybe it was just me. The pricing feels personal with Amazon, as in “is it only me with this price?”

2. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

Ι <3 Hustlin'

Too old to rock n ' roll, too young to Hustlin' but enough mature to prefer the second one. :):D

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    fabre, Crazysteve and hutlock like this.
  3. WatchMaker

WatchMaker Well-Known Member

I used to pay about S$37.00 each to Amazon Prime for all TP’s previous releases, and suddenly now is S$49.00 per copy for both Hustlin’ & Chant. Its quite a big jump and I am just as confused.

4. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

Is that USD or CAD? I’ve bought all of mine on pre-sale on Amazon Canada Prime & haven’t paid over $32 yet for a TP except for Glamour although the latest releases are at $41 CAD but will most likely come down by release day.

5. WatchMaker

WatchMaker Well-Known Member

In Singapore Dollars.
    I certainly hope you are correct and that they will eventually come down in price after a week, however I am not too optimistic about it :shake:

6. AFA

AFA Forum Resident

I use the browser extension from CamelCamelCamel which shows the price history of the product. You can set it to alert you once the price drops to a certain level. Very useful for tracking prices.

Crazysteve likes this.
  7. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Me too. I think that was Joe's goal with the series. I see a Reid Miles cover and I buy.

8. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

"Word" - - feel free to reply here or PM. Thanks!

9. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

AOC, is that you? :D

Actually, you may be right in that they probably throttle the price based on the demand they see, kind of what the airlines do. I just thought that perhaps it had some super-duper version of the usual packaging...

10. Dougthesnail

It appears they may be pulling a "Music Matters" with the Tone Poet pricing :biglaugh:

11. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Nah. First of all, this is Blue Note themselves not a licensed company and the target price for Tone Poets since the beginning was $35 so the price of these new releases is still lower than what was stipulated.

scotti likes this.
  12. Dougthesnail

I know, I know it was in jest. :righton:

AnalogJ, paulmock and dastinger like this.
  13. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Gotcha! Sorry, the internet takes away the meaning of some sentences :hide:

14. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I bought mine from Port of Sound in California—$29.99 each and if you register you get a 10% discount code so it got them down to $26 and change, plus free shipping on orders over $50.

Tone poet

There’s also Plaid Room in Loveland, OH, home of the mighty Colemine records. Priced at $27.99 each there. They also have a small-ish “Audiophile” section in their site just FYI. If you do a site search for “Tone Poet” they all show up.

Online Store

So there are a couple of options depending on which side of the country you are closer to... support the Indies!!!

GentleSenator, RubenH and conjotter like this.
  15. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

i'm certainly late to the party, but here's my experience so far .... (all thru amazon.ca)

the one TP LP i got so far (bought last week), mr.shing-a-ling, was $31.99 CAD ....

just as an aside on amaz.ca pricing ...

the BN80's i picked up were all around $28-29 CAD (think!, alligator boogaloo, ethiopian knights)

BN80 'blue mode' was priced at $35.99 CAD .... so i was gonna buy that at my local instead for $29.99 ..... but i stuck it in my amaz 'cart' anyway .... and a few days later .... the price dropped to $30.07 CAD on amaz.ca so i pulled the trigger on it there. it's actually now $28.98 CAD ....

i just recently pre-ordered 'blue world' @$24.96 CAD (just a $3.50 CAD difference than the US preorder price) ... and i suspect it will actually go up after release .... much like the recent excellent stereolab triple LP reissues .... which i pre-ordered at the ridiculous price of $33.80 CAD (they are now $46-50 CAD)

amazon wish lists are a great place to monitor prices ..... just recently, two soul jazz LPs on my list forever, were drastically reduced in price and went into 'mega deal' territory, so i grabbed them ..... and now they are back to their usual pricing .... same oddly with the MOFI 'best of the raspberries' .... from $33 ish down to $25 CAD...

brimuchmuze likes this.
  16. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Ha, At least you won’t be sorry ever....these albums are for all times.

Aeryn Sun, RubenH, AFA and 1 other person like this.
  17. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

ah, Thank you.

18. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

I am in Atlanta. I assume both these vendors pack LPs with tender-loving care?

19. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Oh yeah. Port of Sound even put cardboard corner protectors around the LPs inside of the box.

Mugrug12 and RubenH like this.
  20. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

That's interesting. To me, it has to be the supplier or most likely retailer causing this. Of course I do not know that for a fact. But my local store has told me the remaining 5 titles will be sold to me for $27.99 each, same as they have been from the start. Any other thoughts on this?

I sure hope others see their prices remain as they were from the beginning or if they have suddenly gone up, hope they come back down for them.

WatchMaker likes this.
  22. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

I may have taken my eye off the ball has there been talk of this being released next year in the Tone Poet series.

23. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

nosliw and dastinger like this.
  24. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

On New Bottle, Old Wine, the OG copy appears to have less tape hiss as the track starts. Once it gets going, however, I think what's really happening is that it just has the highs rolled off. The OG doesn't sound bad to my ear, but the Tone Poet is so much more lively. Almost like the difference between being in the auditorium with the big band going vs. being in the lobby while they are playing.

On Chant, the Tone Poet release does a great job of revealing more of what is on the master tape. The highs are extended and the cymbals have more life (even listening in inexpensive headphones), and the bass sounds more lifelike. The OG Chant bass has a nice level to it, but I spent several years playing guitar in a jazz combo and the Tone Poet really captures what it sounds like to have an acoustic bass a few feet away. The Tone Poet also has another quality that now has its own thread, which is most evident at the 4:40 mark.

25. Dougthesnail

Wow... Chant is a smoking release. My Second favorite TP after Kenny Burrell

Crazysteve likes this.