'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

FWIW folks, just stumbled by this...

TARGET (of all places) is currently having a "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" LP/CD sale! They have a number of (but not all) TP's available. I just ordered Tina, Baby Face and the new Coltrane Blue World...all for $58 bucks!!!!! CHECK IT OUT.

In case you are worried, I ordered Cornbread from them earlier and it was packaged perfectly for delivery.

2. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Not sure. Did they do the 75th for 2 or 3 years? Willy wish they'd redo those titles from analog.

Mumdad and IanL like this.
  3. Two cool records

[​IMG]

4. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

Swell. I just snagged pre-orders for Minor Move and Born to Be Blue and threw in Ethiopian Knights. Free shipping and <$20 each tax included.

Briskit, paulmock and Mazzy like this.
  5. Yeah those Target deals are great! I didn't get any Tone Poets, though that could change - deal lasts until Saturday :)

I grabbed the new issue of Sigur Ros' Agetis Byrjun, Doc & Merle Watson's Never the Same Way Once, and Jonny Greenwood's Phantom Thread. All records I've been wanting for a while and are rarely included in the deals by ImportCDs and the likes. $25 a piece after tax - not bad!! Those are usually ~$35 each before tax.

I will likely go back and do an order for three Tone Poets, but I've bought a ton of records lately so I pumped the brakes.

paulmock likes this.
  6. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It basically started with 25 titles they announced, and there were 5 titles per month until they ended up doing 105.

http://www.bluenote.com/blue-note-records-75th-anniversary/
    100 ESSENTIAL VINYL REISSUES

In March, we also kicked of an extensive Blue Note 75th Anniversary Vinyl Reissue Series that will release 100 essential albums over 2 years. The releases continue monthly with 5 new titles being reissued on December 23 from Andrew Hill, Grant Green, Jackie McLean, Tony Williams & Bobby Hutcherson. We also began a Blue Note Authorized Dealer program with Record Store Day that provides participating stores with exclusive releases included 10” vinyl reissues from Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis & others. Other catalog releases included Blue Note Select CD box sets from Miles Davis, Clifford Brown, John Coltrane & Thelonious Monk.

Byrdsmaniac likes this.
  7. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Hum, but what was announced at first? Did we always know they'd release those 5 extra titles monthly? That could be an indication if there could be any surprises. I'm sure that if they reissued some of the 75th titles following the same AAA by KG path, those would sell like hot cakes.

scotti and Tuck1977 like this.
  8. Robotlove

Robotlove Forum Resident

The 75th records were at a period where I was not buying much wax. What the heck happened there? They obviously have a bad rep on the forum but I'm a bit unsure why.

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The ones distributed in the U.S. were pressed at United Record Pressing, a toilet tier plant.

Robotlove likes this.
  10. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Well, for starters they were some of the worse pressed records we've ever seen. In fact, I just picked up Blakey's Mosaic, knowing if was a huge gamble, and I got Moanin' in the Mosaic jacket and this is what it looks like all over:[​IMG] :

bluemooze likes this.
  11. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Yep, I only bought two titles from 75th. Blue Train which was ok, but definitely with its issues and Idle Moments which was warped, scratched, full of what sounded like digital glitches and pops, and an excess of plastic on the borders which were all badly cut.

Considering the 100 titles that were reissued and the fact that now it would be possible to have some of those remastered by KG, AAA from the original analog tapes for something around €20, I'm really crossing my fingers that they do it. But, honestly, I doubt it.

12. Robotlove

Robotlove Forum Resident

Jesus!

patient_ot and AnalogJ like this.
  13. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Wait....That's a limited edition engraving!

Aeryn Sun, nosliw, Vic Trola and 5 others like this.
  14. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

BN didn't announce a full schedule what would be released, not in the Feb 2014 announcement of the Anniversary,
    there was only the first 5 titles listed, and '5 more each month'.
    " The series will launch on March 25 with five iconic LPs: Art Blakey Free For All, John Coltrane Blue Train, Eric Dolphy Out To Lunch, Wayne Shorter Speak No Evil, and Larry Young Unity. "

Frankly, It doesn't appear to be relevant what BN did in the past.

dastinger likes this.
  15. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

If you're really interested in the release order, you can go to the internet wayback archive and the original vinyl pages are there,
    organized by release date.

Blue Note Records 75th Anniversary Vinyl Initiative

16. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Definitely not interested in the order they were released. What I was wondering is if we always knew there would be 100 titles or if they announced a few dozens and then suddenly announced the rest. You already clarified that, thanks :)

17. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

That's a slightly different question. Yes, we knew there would be 100 titles, it was in a Feb 2014
    article.

It's hard to say with total certainty if the list was out. The BN press releases I found didn't have a list beyond the first 5 titles,
    but there are other articles on the web from Feb and March 2014 that refer to the BN website for a list, but the
    links no longer work. I think a full 100 list would have existed at some point fairly soon after the
    press release, if it didn't exist at the time of the initial announcement. This wasn't that long ago,
    they would have been using the website to supplement any info not in their formal press releases.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    dastinger likes this.
  18. i think Joe Harley just give a hint that it will release Jackie McLean Its Time! in a post on Blue Note's Instagram , hope this is real, its a perfect album !!! will be Great to include in the Tone poet list

Gabe Walters, Admerr, JMCIII and 4 others like this.
  19. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

If you are a fan of the tone poet series you really should be following joe on Instagram. Tons of teasers! Such as Stanley Turrentine & Horace Parlan’s Comin’ Your Way :)

20. flatsix-

flatsix- Low End Theorist

I ordered a 75th Idle Moments recently from Amazon on a gamble and a low price. First one I received was so badly warped it looked like a wave machine going around on my table :D Second one was reasonably flat but had some gnarly scuffs and pressing defects. Amazon declined to ship me a third one and refunded. Can't say I blame them. I'm guessing their return rate is high on this series.

edit: thanks for the headsup on the Target sale. Filling in a couple of Tone Poet's that I was missing.

patient_ot likes this.
  21. One I'd really like to see @Joe Harley and team serve up is The Illinois Concert by Dolphy with Herbie on piano, Eddie Kahn on bass, and JC Moses on drums. It has never been released on vinyl as far as I am aware, and we could all use more Dolphy in our lives :agree:

IanL, mktracy, Gabe Walters and 5 others like this.
  22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Amazing suggestion!!!!! As Mr. Dolphy is one of my favorites, this would be extra special. Would have to be a 2 LP set though, and truly hope this could be considered. I have the 1999 CD of this gem, and oh how awesome this would be if it got some of that Tone Poet magic!

@Greenmonster2420, you have come up with a good one!

IanL and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  23. mktracy

mktracy Forum Resident

Hey GeraldB, I thought the same thing till I looked under my LED TT light and saw a small kind of circular scratch on the first copy. On the 2nd copy on scratch but still the distortion on side 1 track 3 in the last 20 to 30 seconds and I only notice it in the sax. Just requested another copy from Amazom and I'll hope for the best.

24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I just took advantage of the Target sale, which is a 'buy 2, get 1 free'. While the promo blurb says that pre-orders aren't included, it worked for my order. I got two upcoming Tone Poets, and a free 80th Anniversary pre-order. Online only, I believe.

recstar24 and TheIncredibleHoke like this.
  25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I went back and got three more today (I'll be SORRRRRRRY!!!). But yes, there is a mix of some on the way, some "preparing" and enough "backordered" and "pre-ordered" that I will be getting new LP's delivered spread out over the entire month of October!!!!!!!!!:goodie:

TheIncredibleHoke likes this.