'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'll admit, though, that I love the tactile and visual treat that Tone Poet and MM brings to their records.

trd likes this.
  2. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I totally agree that it's nice to have the added quality on the jacket, but it's definitely not worth the money.

Byrdsmaniac and GentleSenator like this.
  3. mktracy

mktracy Forum Resident

My Amazon US is still saying Febuary 28th.This sucks!! I hope the release date gets changed back to January 31st.

4. AnalogJ

I just got notification from Blue Note's distributor that there has been a delay in production on the couple of titles I have ordered but yet to have received. They expect shipping in 3-4 weeks.​

paulmock likes this.
  5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Welcome to the club, pallie.

6. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Been revisiting the Tina Brooks "Minor Move" LP. I've seen some complain that Tina sounds too tentative on this album. But the more I listen, the more assured he sounds to me. He doesn't back down to his more illustrious bandmates. He knows what (and how) he wants to phrase his lines, and he brings them off splendidly. Does he sound more robust on his later albums? Of course. He had gained more experience, both as a player and a leader. But Tina was no shrinking violet on "Minor Move", at least not to my ears.

7. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

It's weird to me that amazon.ca has higher prices for the BN80 titles than the Tone Poet titles...

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  8. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Looks like this week's releases are delayed indefinitely?

9. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Blue Note's promotional email that just went out lists the Jan releases alongside the Feb releases...

The 2020 schedule starts Feb. 28 release of Hank Mobley Poppin’, Stanley Turrentine Comin’ Your Way, Grant Green Nigeria, and Chet Baker Chet Baker Sings.

10. Rob Zarzecki

Rob Zarzecki Forum Resident

per an email from Bluenote
    The 2020 release schedule will commence with the February 28 release of Hank Mobley Poppin’, Stanley Turrentine Comin’ Your Way, Grant Green Nigeria, and Chet Baker Chet Baker Sings. Explore the Tone Poet Audiophile Vinyl Reissue Series on the Blue Note Store.

11. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

Yeah, they pushed the January titles to February but the rest of the 2020 releases are scheduled to be released at their normal times. Basically 4 Tone Poets on February 28 then 2 per month the rest of the year.

The BN80s all got pushed back a month though. They come out January 31, then another batch on March 13, then another batch in April, then the final batch in May.

12. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I don’t get the criticism of this LP. It’s bloody fantastic! Horns jumped right out of the speakers the moment the needle hit the LP. I found the performance engaging and I enjoyed it just as much as his other albums. Maybe more...

Crispy Rob, JMCIII, ausgraeme and 4 others like this.
  13. Vinyl Fan 1973

I just nabbed two Tone Poet LPs for $25, which is good considering they are higher than what I see in local stores, $35.99

I just wait until the price drops and nab them.

I almost picked up two BN80’s today, $27.99 each, but the jackets are flimsy. How they sound?

14. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I've bought almost all titles from both series on pre-order, paid $25 for all the BN80 and $32 for the TP's.

After release, Amazon pricing changes all over the map. The pre-order price is low, even compared to the USA,
    then prices hit the roof after the ship date of the release, usually jumping $20, and then some time later the prices
    begin dropping, some titles have dropped even below the pre-order price. Other titles are still $10-15 above the pre-order price.

If you're buying from Amazon, Pre-order is the way to go.
    I find that the risk of being unavailable or at a high price later is not worth
    the chance it might be $3-8 less at some point down the road than what it was on pre-order.

Crispy Rob, sjaca and Mazzy like this.
  15. The BN 80s all sound fantastic. The covers are lighter and less substantial to keep the prices down as $22/23 seems to be a sweet spot for most new record buyers. But they are highly recommended.

16. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

:cheers: I agree. I’ve thought it’s an amazing album. I enjoy it fairly often.

Crispy Rob and JMCIII like this.
  17. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

bummer about the delay, but i'll definitely have a nice haul to listen to at the end of february.

18. gov

gov Forum Resident

X100

19. Vinyl Fan 1973

Great, thanks! I’ll pick one up on Monday. I was going to start with Joe Henderson In n’ Out.

20. Vinyl Fan 1973

Spinning Andrew Hill’s Black Fire from the TP series, just came in today. I think it sounds great! I haven’t heard any issues yet.

Can’t wait to get more from this series, just need the price to drop some.

Dai, Crispy Rob, garrincha and 4 others like this.
  21. Vinyl Fan 1973

Wow those drums! Cymbals and especially that snare sound great. Being a drummer myself I’ve got this obsession with cymbals, especially those vintage jazz and early rock era cymbals.

Dai, Crispy Rob, MisterBritt and 4 others like this.
  22. Rob Zarzecki

Roy Haynes Quartet
    Out Of The Afternoon might be one you would also like. Same drummer. It's a personal favorite of mine.

ausgraeme, Dubmart, 99khan and 4 others like this.
  23. Vinyl Fan 1973

Thank you so much for the suggestion, I’m going to pick that up!

Rob Zarzecki likes this.
  24. Rob Zarzecki

Hope you enjoy it. You can always stream it on Amazon to check it out first too

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  25. AnalogJ

Listen to the piano closely on side 2.