'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

my absolute favourite of the last series. incredible record!

Joti Cover, magnet, mktracy and 2 others like this.
  2. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Here are my thoughts on Chet Baker "Sings"...8 listens so far and all locked dead in my sweet spot. I am sure most people know the history of these recordings, if not, I'm sure someone here might go in to more detail if needed.

I do not want to over react to this record, but it is kind of hard not to, once you hear what they have done with these original tapes. The soundstage being in mono could not be any better. The instrumentation is fantastic sounding throughout.

The bottom end of this new master is stunning, just helps bring magic to each song. With every new listen, I just sit there mesmerized in what they have done with these recordings. From start to finish it's just so good, and that second side of songs, wow!

Listening to "I Get Along With You Very Well" the vocals just seem to drip off of his lips, just like "When soft rains fall and drip from leaves" so to speak. I could go on and on raving about how wonderful each song sounds, but that might be a bit much until others get their copy.

For me, this is one of the best Tone Poet releases yet and quite honestly one of my favorite records period.

I just love what is said on the final song "So always look for the silver lining and try and find the sunny side of life" words that ring so true for me.

3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I just got mailing notification from Blue Note's store for these yesterday. I have been anxiously awaiting.

4. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

@scotti I had 2 or 3 of Chet on CD that I bought ages ago. Sold them off in a trade of a bunch of CD's that I had not listened to in years. I thought Chet was OK but nothing special vocally. (Although I DO remember liking "Look For The Silver Lining".) With all of the talk of Chet's resurgence on LP recently, and all of the fine reviews I decided to pre-order Sings. I have several batches of LP's coming within the next few weeks so I'm not sure when I will get it. But your review makes me anticipate it all the more. Thanks!

scotti likes this.
  5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Me too! Me too!!! :wave:

Sneezyachew likes this.
  6. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

They did a good job on Chet Baker Sings. Much prefer Mose Allison.

7. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Like him as well, but a bit more of a Blues laced Jazz sound than Chet. One of my favorite Who songs, is their cover of Young Man Blues from Live At Leeds.

8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Chet's voice is somewhat of required taste no doubt. I listened to some of his stuff when I was younger and drifted away. Since I have retired, it's allowing me to listen to all of the music I want to hear and not what the labels had on my priority list so to speak. Where I suffered the most was Jazz. Sure I could listen to a bit at home, but there was just not that much time like I have now where I can say, no Rap/deep Urban music anymore. Because of my connections with those artists, I was heavily involved helping their careers. Seem liked every other week I had the likes of Rick Ross, DJ Khaled and others calling me wanting me to help with their new records (look where I live). I will say this, some of the nicest artists I have ever met. Of course I was involved with other genres of music as well.

Sorry, did not mean to ramble (but it's like I'm in music Heaven right now), and that brings me back to the likes of a Chet Baker. There are several Rock artists that have voices that you need to adjust to as well but then the music and style is so addictive, it just slaps you upside your ears and says, how cool is that! Many times, I thought I did not particularly like a certain record, then gave it more chances and go oh yeah. Of course not every Baker record is a must own, but over the past year I have had one heck of a time reacquainting myself with stuff I remember and ones I have not. Not an expert, but learning fast.

I am so looking forward to what others think about "Sings" as it is indeed a special record, and of course not for everyone though.

9. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

One more pseudo Tone Poet release party for me today while Scotty teases me with his early Chet listening party. Incredible NM to Mint originals found and procured. I’ve been waiting a long time for My Point of View, even though it’s on the 2020 list. Same goes for the future BN80 Rumproller. The McLean is still sealed! Throw in Miles and Blackjack, plus an original mono Ah Um, a promo Mwandishi, an original Solo Monk and a Japanese press of Monk/Trane, plus 2 great ECM’s and a holy grail for me - OP mint John Prine. Today is a great jazz day! I think the new BN80’s today will have to wait their turn.
    [​IMG]

Dai, Jerry James, Mark J and 22 others like this.
  10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Awesome as can be! You damn straight those BN 80th's can wait, and can wait until you have had time to enjoy all of these great finds!

Of course all great ones, but if I could call out my favorite Hancock from the trilogy, "Mwandishi" that is one killer record! I think you just put me in the mood for it.

Dai and Crazysteve like this.
  11. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Where are you shopping?!

Dai, Mugrug12 and Crazysteve like this.
  12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

If he told you, he'd have to kill you. ;)

Dai, Mark J, mcwlod and 4 others like this.
  13. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I'm new to Tone Poets so my big question:

Is possible that "Tone Poets" release the titles that MMJ has right now? you know, titles like:
    • Art Blakey - Moanin'
    • John Coltrane - Blue Train
    • and other MMJ SRX titles, you know
    if yes, there's no reason to spend $75 right now, I don't care about the "SRX" formula, I can wait for Tone Poets releases.

Tone Poets and MMJ seems the same thing, the only difference is the SRX thing. Actually the 80 Aniv. seems the same thing that Tone Poets and MMJ, the only difference is the "cheap" jacket. Kevin Gray, RTI etc, or I'm wrong? (teach me).

14. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

No, will not happen, Joe has too much respect and connection with Ron and MM to double dip and take away sales from his titles. Ron once shared with me that Joe is his “brother from another mother”. They are very close.

Joe has already stated clearly his philosophy for not double dipping. But now you know how close these two are. Now Don and BN80 is a different story :p

JMCIII and ceynon like this.
  15. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

I think Blue Note could eventually press MMJ titles in the same manner as the Tone Poets eventually, but it will likely not be for a long time.
    The idea with these Tone Poets is to reissue lesser known or hidden gem albums in their catalog. Or in any case, ones that MMJ doesn't have.

trd and stenway like this.
  16. struttincool

BN80 has issued 7 titles that MMJ did at 45rpm.

17. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Don oversees the BN80 series essentially (there might be a guy that actually does the curation for him) and he clearly has no qualms double dipping into any of the reissue outfits.

trd likes this.
  18. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

But we have no confirmation of anything beyond the current BN80 releases yet.

Still assuming they are doing well in sales, I hope BN will want to continue in some way.

magnet likes this.
  19. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Tone Poet, almost certainly no for the reasons given by other responders. Blue Note themselves, maybe: anything is fair game for all that’s theirs. As for the 2020 MMJ SRX titles, I’m out. I have them all on MMJ 33 or 45 titles anyway. I think the value isn’t there for the price even if I didn’t have them.

20. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Where are you guys getting Chet Baker Sings? Directly from BN? Still says 2/28 for me. I've been streaming this thing and I went from "kinda blah" to "this is actually pretty soothing", to "man, this is hitting the sweet spot". I need to get my hands on it!

21. struttincool

Probably referring to Chet Baker (sings): It Could Happen To You, the RSD mono and the Riverside box's stereo.

22. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Scotti got an advanced copy because he’s awesome

23. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Nope, he actually has the tone poet Chet Baker sings, he got an advanced copy.

24. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Well now, that makes total sense :agree:

25. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Steve Hoffman forum haul of the week! Nice work. Can’t find og mwandishi for da life of me. Deer Wan is a killer. If you don’t have it, his ECM “gnu High” is my favorite all timer on the label. Keep a look out if you don’t have it yet. Jealous of your scorage!