'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

What?!? Say it isn't so! :faint: Would the Target 2 for 1 get you back in line for Stanley?

I also went back and snagged four more AP 45's. All the bad influences around here!

2. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

Yes, I have a couple of UA Van Gelder titles, the sound of those is very close to the original pressings I have. The Tone Poets have lots of drive, and more treble. The UA's is a bit more relaxed, I just get in to the music, but the TP offers some more detail.

3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

@MisterBritt I've been into a lot of this stuff for a long time. But it occurs to me that some of the members on this thread are coming across the Blue Note offerings and artists for the first time.

THAT'S ME! And I'm 65 yrs.old. OK....maybe not "coming across" these recordings for the 1st time. I can vaguely remember some of them being played on jazz radio stations in my past listening since my youth. But this is the very first time I am giving these albums a real "listen-to" for what magic they truly are individually. I wasn't really into the small group "bop" stuff too much (favoring big bands and vocals) but now it is like going back to school all over again.

I'm diggin' it!

Swann36, Fender Relic, markp and 11 others like this.
  4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I blame all of you fine people for what has happened to me. I know I'm completely innocent here. My 6 AP titles came yesterday and I have listened to three of them so far. Dippin', Flight To Jordan, and The Tokyo Blues. $75 for these three incredible records, wow! The more I listen Mr. Mobley (no wonder you love him so @recstar24 ) the more he is quickly becoming one of my favorites. Got Peckin' Time ready to check out today. I'm sure Reid Miles had nothing to do with that cover. And crazy, I got #113, so obvious they don't treat these like subscription titles.

Just happened to checked my Tone Poet calendar and now only 17 more days. My only other title I now have on order until then is the Speakers Corner release of "The Blue Lateef"...this forum is a dangerous, but a damn fun place to hang.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  5. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

One of the great youtube personalities on music is from Atlanta, Rick Beato, do you know him?

6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Know who he is, but don't actually know him, if that's what you are asking...I worked very close with all of the label folk, FM radio stations (that helped me sell music) and of course concert venues. One of the key concert promoters I did work with on many sponsorship's was Peter Conlon, if you know who he is.

sorry for the minor derail...we are so close for 2/28, I'm about to start a countdown clock ticking away the minutes, so I'm obsessed with my favorite four letter word "Jazz" (and the land of the Tone Poet's)! Sorry, you MMJ's are the bomb to! and of course all of the other great labels that bring us this awesome music. Which made me just think, what the heck am I doing here right now when I could be downstairs with my stereo.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Dmann201, Crazysteve and mktracy like this.
  7. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

8. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

9. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Have Amazon links been posted for any preorder Tone Poets? The official Blue Note webpage shows nothing new since the two October titles.

Greenalishi likes this.
  10. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

I wanted to point out a nuance in purchasing Blue Note titles from Target using their "buy 2 get 1 free" promotional offer. Today, I put three Tone Poets into my cart. When I went to check out, the "buy 2 get 1 free" offer would not kick in. So I called Target customer service to find out why. Even thought all three titles were Tone Poet, all listed on pre-order, all at exactly the same price, the invoice summed for all three titles. No buy 2, get 1 free. Why? Because two titles were offered specifically in "buy 2, get 1 free" but the third, same price mind you, was not.

Bottom line: To avail of Target's offer, all titles must be in the same promotion for "buy 2, get 1 free". If you look at their website, you will see that some titles have the promotion (usually in red lettering), some do not.

11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

12. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I cheated again and came across Money Jungle. No wonder this was chosen for 2020. Excellent!
    [​IMG]

Crispy Rob, scotti, Dmann201 and 4 others like this.
  13. brimuchmuze

14. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

15. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Joe has said that Kevin gets blanks from MDC and the Tone Poet series won’t be affected, quoted up thread.

FashionBoy and trd like this.
  16. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

17. brimuchmuze

Yes, JH has commented several times on this on Instagram.

Proof in the post I linked previously.

And we know they have already mastered more than half the 2020 titles, so I don't think we have anything to worry about.

There's lots of panic about this, but truth be told there are other things I would be far more worried about!

trd likes this.
  18. brimuchmuze

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  19. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Money jungle and prisoner available for amazon preorder!

robertawillisjr likes this.
  20. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

Good news. Thank you for that reminder.

21. metalrules

metalrules Forum Resident

I know it's been a while, but I already had the Tone Poet "Black Fire" reissue and recently picked up the Heavenly Sweetness out of curiosity since the sound of the piano on some of the TP tracks can be a little unsettling. I spent time comparing it with the Tone Poet reissue, and to me overall sound-wise, the TP wins hands down - not even close. I can hear the instruments and the interplay between them in such greater detail. Feels more alive and in the room. That said, I did enjoy the sound of the HS reissue on its own when not directly comparing. I'd call it pleasant and warm. The TP is just much more revealing.

I did compare McNeil Island between the two copies multiple times, and I found the piano on that track unsettling enough on both that I think the Tone Poet is the all-out winner for me. At some point I'll get out my old Blue Note CD and see if the same holds true for me in the digital realm.

Dai, rxcory, scotti and 7 others like this.
  22. In your decision on where to buy, be mindful that Amazon allows you access to all your purchases at no cost, so you have them whenever/wherever you have interwebby access.

Such a bonus feature, that big box o' Cole vinyl follows me all over in digital form.

3 for 2 is a good deal on this series, though.

markp likes this.
  23. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I'm listening to Grant Green-Born To Be Blue TP right now and the Ike Quebec sax on the title track ...so fine.:love:

rxcory, Stu02, FashionBoy and 3 others like this.
  24. brimuchmuze

Also, returns are very easy at amazon. Not sure about other sources.

25. brimuchmuze

Joti Cover, rxcory, Stu02 and 8 others like this.