'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I would’ve let the Orthodox of the Hard Bop leave me ignorant of some good funky titles had a few of these Lou Donaldson records not been reissued last year. They opened a whole different world of jazz for me. As for Lou, I just need a good copy of his Midnight Creeper, and it’s great cover, to complete the solid streak of records he led. Mr. Shing a Ling up next.
    [​IMG]

RiRiIII, rxcory, SJR and 8 others like this.
  2. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Have you got these two?

[​IMG]

The drum solo that opens up the live version of Alligator Boogaloo is the craziest thing I have ever heard! I've listened to it, tried to transcribe it, and thrown up my hands in shock, awe and despair. It's insane. But one thing I might note: the playing is in equal measure the funkiest and the most elegant playing you will ever hear. It is both at the same time. Listen to the tone of that little bass drum, the backward and inside out patterns on the toms, the articulation of the snare drum. There is nothing like it. Now that's a unique "voice" on the drums.

The studio album Alligator Boogaloo captures it all, too; but without the drum solo that opens that tune. I agree with you, this series of Lou Donaldson albums introduces a whole new world of Blue Note.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Dai, rxcory, blutiga and 6 others like this.
  3. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Wow, I feel like a stranger to this thread of late. But this morning as I was driving back home from taking my wife to work, 'Real Jazz" was playing some Stanley Turrentine with Shirley Scott and I was like, it's time for some Tone Poet magic, so on deck for later will be Hustlin', a title I have not pulled out in a while.

And as I checked my Tone Poet calendar (I really do have one) I realized only 8 or 9 days (depending on arrival) for 4 more of these incredible records to finally come out, which seems like an eternity of waiting. The first one that will grace my turntable (not counting "Sings") will be none other than the incredible, Mr. Grant Green's "Nigeria" which I have been craving big time. That MMJ thread has been costing me lately (no complaints) and no doubt this thread is about to start buzzing when we hit 2/28, a day I am calling a special holiday and even taking the day off to prepare myself for the wonderful sounds that will be coming out of my stereo.

Got my final two AS sale titles arriving this afternoon, John Patton's "Along Came John" (featuring Grant Green) and Blowing In From Chicago which I'm really looking forward to hearing.

Still hard to believe more Tone Poet's are finally on the way. Wonderful news indeed!

SJR, trd, Dmann201 and 5 others like this.
  4. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Thanks for the heads up on those titles! Your enthusiasm leads me to believe I’ll dig them. I wasn’t aware of the Live Lou. It’s now on the hunting list.

MisterBritt, scotti and mktracy like this.
  5. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Exactly, I had to return Art Blakey/Buhaina's Delight because of a scratch on the 1st track.

GentleSenator likes this.
  6. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

While waiting for the new titles I dug out the TP Gil Evans title and damn this is better than I remember. I’m not sure it is possible to say any of the TP titles are “underrated” but this one is mighty close.

7. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

The Lou Donaldson The Scorpion/Live at the Cadillac Club is not AAA. I mean, it sounds good and clean. But just saying a CD might do just as well when the budget is a concern. (I sold my SACD/CD player so it's vinyl or nothing for me.)

While it's not the same line-up as the Alligator Boogaloo studio album, the guys are just killing it. Leon Spencer instead of Dr. Lonnie Smith -- his B3 solo is off the hook. That drum solo at ~ 9:00 mark is just ... wow!

The Scorpion (album) - Wikipedia

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Dai, blutiga, Dignan2000 and 2 others like this.
  8. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Not on Blue Note but Fried Buzzard on Cadet is one of my favourite Lou Donaldson releases

Crazysteve, scotti and MisterBritt like this.
  9. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Perfect timing as I was trying to figure out what other Tone Poet title to listen to later and New Bottle, Old Wine sounds like a great call. Been a while since I listened to that one as well. It does seem to get better every time I play it.

And if I may rave about a Jazz artist that just does not get that much love one more time, Mr. Ray Charles. I recently picked up the Speakers Corner release of "The Genius After Hours" in glorious mono and cut by (just try and guess) and it is just a spectacular Jazz record. One of the best sounding SC titles I own. "Fathead" Newman on alto and tenor saxes, this is an instrumental record and highly recommended. Just some badass sounding grooves coming from one of the greats! Arranged by Quincy Jones.

10. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Love that Ray Charles title! The MFSL SACD is my weapon of choice on that one.

Greenmonster2420 and scotti like this.
  11. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I assume you are just hoping and dont have any hard info on this series extension. Has anyone heard anything on a BN 80 extension? I thought its more likely in 5 years as a BN 85...

12. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Yes, just hope.

Stu02 and scotti like this.
  13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I actually hoping they stop for a bit (unless they redo some of the 75th ones), not 5 more years which could surely be the case but for a while at least. I'm passing on all 3 of the 3/13 releases, but then look out, as those final 6 are finishing that series off with one heck of a goodbye!

Well I'm off to the land of the Tone Poet's...

Stu02 and Crazysteve like this.
  14. Good to hear, I have that SC title en route from Acoustic Sounds, along with the SC issue of It’s Monk’s Time, and AP Blue Note 45s of Introducing Johnny Griffin, Hub Cap, and Blowing in from Chicago. :cool:

As this is the Tone Poet thread I will also mention that I just finished spinning Now He Sings, Now He Sobs from the first release of the series. Love that record!

scotti likes this.
  15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Please let us know how "Its Monk's Time" sounds...you are going to dig the heck out of Ray! About to go clean Blowing In From Chicago, but will listen later after I pick the wife up from work. Would like a couple beverages as I enjoy it. Is Hub Cap still on sale (never heard that one)? I'm afraid to go look as I can't resist myself at times.

Alright, now I'm officially off to Tone Poet land. And now I have a third title to listen to thanks to your post, Now He Sings...will do one side from each today and then one side each tomorrow.

16. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

I did not get State of the Tenor the first time around, as it is digital and the hi-res stream sounds really good.

I ordered State of the Tenor anyways as a filler for the recent Target 3 for 2 sale (had 5 on the cart and needed an extra LP). Wow, I was blown away by this TP release :edthumbs:

scotti, IanL and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  17. Hub Cap is still on sale, but probably not for long, as it is the top seller in the sale currently. Seeing that, plus the recommendation from @Tim1954 pushed it up the priority list for me. I really dig it after a few streams and I bet the AP presents it fabulously.

I've used that sale as justification to build up my Speaker's Corner collection, too. They are eligible for the 10% discount at AS and help me get free shipping. In addition to the two I mentioned previously, I picked up the SC issues of Phineas Newborn's Here is Phineas and Ry Cooder's Jazz (both cut by KG) to fill out my first order. Both are fantastic albums and sound wonderful. So yeah, I spent $125 to save about $15 in shipping charges across the two orders, BUT I have 4 fantastic albums to show for it. A win in my book.

Top 3 from the series for me. Just amazing, both musically and sonically. I can't wait for Vol. 1 this year.

Twinsfan007, PATB and Crazysteve like this.
  18. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Ray Charles gets lots of love from me. He can't be categorized. He moved through genres like it was nothing. R&B, soul, jazz, blues, gospel, country, pop, Ray did it all. He was a hell of a bandleader, composer, and songwriter. Lots of top tier musicians went through his bands. People talk about Miles, Blakey, Ellington, and Billy Eckstine as bandleaders who cultivated and brought in top talent to their bands. Ray Charles needs to be in that discussion.

Speaking of David "Fathead" Newman, here's a video of him and Tina Brooks with the Ray Charles Orchestra.

rxcory, ausgraeme, trd and 5 others like this.
  19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Great video!

And if you look at the personnel in his "orchestra" (by looking at the list of musicians on his big band-ish albums), you'll see most of the Count Basie Orchestra.

Regarding his songwriting, something I only recently discovered myself, as much as Ray Charles was an incredible musician, singer, and arranger, and he was incredibly influential, he didn't compose some of his most famous songs we all might have previously thought he did. Of course, most people know he didn't compose "Georgia On My Mind", but he also did not compose "Hit The Road Jack", "Unchain My Heart", and "Drown In My Own Tears", for example. On the other hand, he did compose "What'd I Say?" and "Hallelujah I Love Her So".

20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I have heard Vol 1 coming in May turned out even better. Great news indeed!

Well said. I called out Jazz since I was talking about that particular record. My 52 - 59 Atlantic box set is one of my favorites. Heck, he was even in the Blues Brothers, Ray is the man!

Checked out Blowing In From Chicago yesterday and the sound on this one is very special. I would not miss out on that one.

Listened to Hustlin' as well and forgot what a fun record it was. And side one of New Bottle, what a nice record.

@Greenmonster2420 your above post talking about the discount and free shipping has my ears a twitching for even more. I need these Tone Poets to start coming out to help me relax so I take it easy on other releases. Well maybe just a wee bit easy.

btf1980, trd, mktracy and 1 other person like this.
  21. lbloom

lbloom Well-Known Member

Hey all! Just got a shipment email from Blue Note that Poppin’ and Comin’ Your Way are set to be shipped. Excited that they’ll be arriving before the official release date of the 28th. :)

MilesTrane and paulmock like this.
  22. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I was just about to post the same thing!!!!! :edthumbs::goodie:

lbloom likes this.
  23. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Just put in my pre-order for Nigeria. I can't sit that one out.

blutiga likes this.
  24. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

25. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident