'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

Exactly same here ordered the same 3 but not Chet.

JorgeGvb and SJR like this.
  2. ryu

ryu Forum Resident

Same here.

3. QuickDrawDave

QuickDrawDave Well-Known Member

Well somehow I've managed to hold off from picking up any Tone Poet releases but have now taken the plunge and ordered Introducing Kenny Burrell and Grant Green's Nigeria. Right now I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas!

4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Nor am I. I do not care for it much. But for me, Chet reminds me of Sinatra in a way. No, not his voice per say, just something about the certain coolness he has when he sings, it's almost hypnotic in a way. I also liked a good chunk of the Cassandra Wilson Tone Poet, but it is also outside of just being a traditional Jazz record and of course not for everyone's ears.

"Sings" is just magical sessions filled with one awesome song after the other captured in a sonic way I never thought I would hear them. Downright miracle that they could make those tapes sound like they did.

funknik, Crispy Rob, SJR and 2 others like this.
  5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I had to talk myself in to Sings a bit. I had 2 CD's of Chet's for many years and only played them occasionally. But when hearing about how GOOD a pressing this is supposed to be I went for it. Cost me virtually nothing as used credit card points to buy it. We'll see what I think next week.

scotti likes this.
  6. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Not only that, but he's a great trumpet player too! People often overlook this because they focus too much on his vocals, but his trumpet tone... oh man! Chet on Riverside has that jazz noir feeling that just screams late night 50s. Every time it's pouring here I hear that record shouting at me to be played :D

7. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Oh yes, and does his playing sound ever so sweet here! Really looking forward to your thoughts on this, such you are such a big fan. But I feel pretty confident that you are in for one heck of a treat!

dastinger, paulmock and Crazysteve like this.
  8. gov

gov Forum Resident

Chet is NOT jazz singing! :hide:

funknik likes this.
  9. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

That's very debatable. Of course not your standard/pure Jazz, but I still feel 'Sings" has a very Jazz feel to it, if only in it's own special way. You could say the same thing about Sinatra, but many f his records have a certain type of Jazz flavor to them as well (at least to my ears). I guess it's all in how the singer delivers...and what the musicians play.

Of course I respect what your saying here.

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Not at all! He was a jazz trumpeter who happened to sing. Big difference here.

funknik, gov, AnalogJ and 1 other person like this.
  11. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Well, yes, he is. He uses jazz phrasing. As I have mentioned before, he phrases similarly to how he plays. The same goes with Louis Armstrong. Baker stresses the musical line more than he does interpreting the lyric. He rarely, but occasionally gets into brief scat singing. I'm a student of jazz vocal as well as cabaret and musical theater (and I have sung professionally in all of the arenas). Ella Fitzgerald is an example of someone who almost completely throws the song's meaning out the window. For the most part, interpreting the lyrics was not something she concentrated on. In contrast, Shirley Horn and Carmen McRae were both singers (and Horn an outstanding pianist as well) who married the jazz idiom with strong interpretation of a song's lyrics. I admire them both for being able to do both. Sinatra was someone who could swing with the best. He had an incredible sense of musical line phrasing, yet was very aware of what he wanted to communicate emotionally with the lyrics. Chet? While he doesn't go crazy with the musical lines the way Ella did, he, again, is closer to Louis in that he phrased his vocals like he phrased his trumpet playing.

But what defines jazz singing for you?

Dai, PATB, Harrison and 3 others like this.
  12. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Can someone please get "Nigeria" and tell us how it sounds...my wife looked at me this morning and said why are you in such a good mood? Never mind she said, you get to pick up the new Tone Poets today. I'm chilling the best I can because I have to at least listen to a side of it tonight in my easy chair. My luck, the Fed Ex truck will get lost on the way to my local store.

13. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I don't know if I'm gonna be able to say anything about it. I'm probably gonna be speechless from what you already described.

Funny you don't mention Sarah Vaughan. Absolutely love her and her recordings with Clifford Brown remind me so much of what Chet does. It's a perfect duo that Chet is able to do on his own.

14. I have all four Tone Posts coming this week and Chet is my favorite of the bunch. I have the nice sounding Pam Am version which I’ll trade. It’s a wonderful album.

LoveandTheft, funknik, ceynon and 2 others like this.
  15. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I got several Tone Poet records (Introducing Kenny Burrell, Grant Green (Burn to Be Blue) and Cassandra Wilson). To my ear (and I am not jazz expert at all) they sounds better (certainly not worse) then Mofi and AP jazz releases I have. Such a great, very natural sounding mastering! And BN 80 anniversary is not that far behind! I know it sounds almost heretic on this forum, but this is what I hear on my system... And much more manageable pricewise...

16. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

YOU hear what YOU hear....and you LIKE them. That is all that matters! Welcome to the club.

17. Old Zorki II

Thank you. Just ordered Nigeria and Chet Baker Sings. Chet has a special meaning for me as, according to family legend, I was conceived when this record (probably taped copy) was playing.:pineapple:

18. I think the BN80s sound just as good as the Tone Poets too. Just depends on the specific title.

Only really difference is the upgraded quality and gate folds of the TPs

mktracy, paulmock and Old Zorki II like this.
  19. Well that Chet is a very sexy record. :tiphat:

Old Zorki II likes this.
  20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Well now....we will truly understand if when playing the record you get..."excited". :targettiphat:

Twinsfan007, scotti and Old Zorki II like this.
  21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I love most of Sarah's work. She could sing opera.

In any event, there have been many great singers. I wasn't trying to give a history of the genre. I was just trying to provide examples backing up my distinctions.

Greenalishi likes this.
  22. Old Zorki II

Yeh.. I actually found a picture of tape recorder/player my parents had at the time... Real records were very rare and expensive and used mostly to make copies, which in turn used to make copies.. this way one "evil western capitalist jazz" record ended up in thousand homes in USSR...
    [​IMG]

Swann36, IanL, bkbk and 10 others like this.
  23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well I just came back from the store and my phone started ringing in an almost audiophile ring tone, I kid you not. I just knew my four new Tone Poets had finally arrived. And I was right, it was the owner from my magical shop up the road, and they had just been delivered. I guess when I get time in the next week or so, I will be off to pick them up...

Love that above pic by the way.

paulmock likes this.
  24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

So anyone familiar with my rambling on's, knows I'm a Grant Green fanatic. Just got home with my new treasures and the cover for "Nigeria" is spectacular. An absolute beauty! The inside photos are sweet as can be. I will try and find time to admire the other three as well, but for now, I got me the new Tone Poet from Grant Green. I be walking on clouds right now, oh yeah!

25. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Yeh, I know, I just thought of Sarah because of the comparison I usually make with Chet because of her duos with Clifford. And I understand that, from a technical POV, that might be ludicrous.