'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I'll be getting Nigeria delivered tomorrow, can't wait!

2. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I knew I would not be able to relax this evening without checking out Nigeria. I know the record from an import CD I have (but I did not know the music like this). Listened to side one locked in just right , and oh yeah, are these guys just ripping it apart here.

They seem to be just having a blast jamming together like this. Sonny and Sam at their best, but the highlight for me is the interplay between Art and Grant. They are talking to each other big time here! I listened to side two but was a bit distracted, so will come back to it tomorrow. I would buy this album just for the song "It Ain't Necessarily So", ever so good!

3. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Looking forward to this batch, especially Grant Green’s Nigeria.

Bryce, Joti Cover and scotti like this.
  4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Busy morning ahead, but later on I get to dive into some Stanley and Hank via the land of the Tone Poets. Nice to have "Sings" with the awesome cover now but will be spending time with the other three for a while. I actually like Poppin' more than others here it would seem, but maybe because I've been on a Mobley kick as of late. Will start off with "Comin' Your way" later today. Not very familiar with this one, have a CD of it but never listen to it. Just having a hard time listening to Jazz on that format, unless SACD or MoFi discs, but even then.

Looking forward to feedback from others and hoping you all receive your records soon. All the covers of these four titles look fantastic, and those pictures inside, very nice indeed!

5. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I just recieved the Grant, Stanley and Hank titles. Listening to Nigeria at the moment and it sounds fantastic. On to side 2 and 'The Things We Did Last Summer' had a few ticks and pops, might just be static and didnt take away from the listening pleasure. 'It Ain't Necessarily So' is sublime. Looking forward to the other two. Delighted this series continues this year.

jonnyeric and Crazysteve like this.
  6. BrothersCarrot

BrothersCarrot Well-Known Member

Okay so admittedly, though I've known about the Tone Poet series for a while - Chet was the first one I'd bought myself. I had the first couple in my hands as my friend living overseas shipped his copies to my house so I knew how good they sounded, but Chet has me hooked. Now I'm trying to decide on the next one to pick up later this evening - the shop I work at has them both in stock and on sale, and I am a fan of both albums, but which one do you think I should get? Andrew Hill - Black Fire or Sam Rivers - Contours?

7. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Look what arrived at my doorstep this afternoon! I definitely wasn't expecting it on release day. Can't wait to hear it!

8. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Spinning Nigeria now. Very nice listen! It hits a nice balance between his more energetic stuff a la Solid and his smokier stuff a la Born to be Blue. The Tone Poet treatment did well with this one. Great sounding release. No warble noticed either. In fact the piano sounds noticably natural.

9. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

I wish I had your strength! Unfortunately, I don’t. I tried cancelling Nigeria but I just couldn’t hit that button.

I admire you sir. :tiphat:

10. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

Nigeria sounds FANTASTIC. As good as Born to Be Blue. Blakey sounds incredible. Great music. Exactly what I was hoping this release would be.

11. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Oh I have regrets... I listened to parts of Mobley Poppin' and Green's Nigeria via Apple Music on my commute this morning. Both are inspired choices in the Tone Poet series.

12. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Regrets?.....I’ve had a few.....but then again....too few to mention.

ausgraeme and Peterr like this.
  13. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

Chet Baker Sings is superb! On first listen, I’m more taken with the sound than I was with the recent KG master of Sings It Could Happen To You - which I actually prefer musically to Sings. Just beautifully done. Bass is really present in a nice, robust way. Just gorgeous front to back.

paulmock and Gabe Walters like this.
  14. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I had initially pre ordered all 4 of the new TP sets.....but I did a YouTube listen of the Chet Lp, and it just didn't float my boat. The other 3 though are superb.

15. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Nigeria absolutely crushes it out of the park. Green’s guitar is right there. The drums and piano sound phenomenal, beyond the fact that it’s Blakey and one of my favorite pianists, Sonny Clark.
    I read about how Blue Note was always six months from bankruptcy. Then I hear these gorgeous albums that didn’t see the light of day for decades (18 years in this case). The music is great, and so are the names in the group. It’s an interesting side note when it comes to a great record like this.
    [​IMG]

16. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

I just received all four new reissues from Amazon...both Poppin’ and Comin’ Your Way are scuffed and scratched.

These two titles are cursed.

paulmock likes this.
  17. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

The Chet Baker sounds unbelievable. Mono, right? I don’t see a designation anywhere, but the original release was mono, so I assume those were the tapes they used. If it’s stereo, it’s very narrow. Martini-dry recording here and it sounds so crisp, the trumpet is soft and the vocals are the definition of up-front and present.

18. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

It is mono. In one other thread Mr. Hoffman, an owner of this board, wrote that mono was not just different mix -it was recorded with different and much better mics.

mktracy, Crazysteve and funknik like this.
  19. Chet Baker and Grant Green might be the best of the bunch here. Chet Sings is an incredible album.

[​IMG]

20. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

thank you!!!
    I’m familiar with that post by our host. :shh:
    Another reason that I figured it was the mono - it sounded Hoffman worthy. :p Stereo recordings of this vintage tend to have more reverb added often. This sounds bone dry. Piano can get a little too mushy in spots, but mostly crisp.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  21. louis_anthony

louis_anthony Vir Fidelis

Happy to see these two arrive today:
    • HANK MOBLEY - POPPIN'
    • STANLEY TURRENTINE - COMIN' YOUR WAY
    [​IMG]Untitled

22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Going to get three of those..no on Chet. Beautiful covers. I hope there are no issues. Fingers crossed.

23. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I played Sings twice so far and I this just sounds phenomenal! I love this album and was eager for a good pressing for so long. When @Joe Harley announced that Pacific was also going to be part of the Tone Poet choices I immediately began praying that Sings was one of the albums. It came a year later, but doesn't matter, it's here. And it's incredible. His voice is so natural, the trumpet so smooth, the sound is so real!

I never thought I'd hear such a good version of this album. Joe, here's hoping you're still around to read this. Thank you!

24. Enjoy. The Chet and the Grant Green are the two best of these. Imho

funknik and jewelsnbinoculars like this.
  25. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Wow Nigeria is indeed very cool and sounds great!!

Ordered mine from Amazon and all 4 came thrown in a single big box, most of the covers are beat up on the edges. But so far all vinyl looks good.

My Nigeria is a bit warped or off-center (or both) but the piano definitely has no warble, even with these defects! Speed is rock solid.