'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Here is how mine was boxed. No bubble wrap or anything else. Insane....

Luckily the cover was not damaged.

[​IMG]

Joti Cover and AnalogJ like this.
  2. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

That is an Amazonian miracle right there. What the hell! My local finally started carrying these so I quit Amazon this year, yet received dozens of TP’s and 80’s and many others previously - never packed that poorly. Sorry dude but incredible it’s fine. Don’t drop it now!

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Joti Cover likes this.
  3. I had all four LPs arrive in a big box like that. Two were in their individual LP boxes and two were in protected like yours. All were fine.

Joti Cover likes this.
  4. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

I'm just listening to 'Chet Baker sings' - simply a fantastic re-iussue! Forget about the Japanese re-issues from the 70s / 80s, (I have a couple of those) - this one is in a completely different league :)))

scotti and recstar24 like this.
  5. Stunsworth

Stunsworth Forum Resident

I’ve listened to the Grant Green and am currently listening to the Hank Mobley. These two releases are sensational in every way.

I’ll probably pass on the Chet Baker, his voice isn’t my cup of tea.

Elofan and scotti like this.
  6. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Beautiful album. Beautiful cover, even without Pepper’s head. Gorgeous sound. Mister Britt offers far more insight than I so I’ll leave it at that. 3 for 3 so far.
    [​IMG]

7. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

My Poppin and Nigeria were both double boxed from amazon. No issues here

Marko K and paulmock like this.
  8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Good news from you!!!! It must vary from one distribution center to another. I get mine from their enormous one here in So Cal. We shall see what tomorrow brings.

9. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

fellas...Im enjoying all of these records from Tone Poet as well as the 80th series. Also grabbed a few of the Analog Production "45's'" on sale for $25 @ Acoustic Sounds and they are also excellent. Just a question.....are you cats running these new albums through the record cleaning machine before plopping down on the platter? I am and they are really silent in back ground and no noise....they sound excellent!

scotti and Crazysteve like this.
  10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Yes, I clean all new records, even ones that look as nice as a freshly opened Tone Poet.

11. Slippers-on

Yes sir! I'm right there with you...before the plop down on the platter, they must get a great washing.....makes them sound that much better....and after playing they get a new inner sleeve as well.

Dubmart likes this.
  12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Yes, mine also get the new inner sleeve.:righton: I just ordered the Grant Green, the other three will have to wait until I can afford them, but reading this thread I just had to grab the Grant.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  13. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Really enjoying Nigeria.

I was not overly familiar with Green before the 80th/Tone Poet series, but enjoying him more by more with each album I pick up. I think this one may be my favourite.

The Chet Baker isn't really my thing. Just can't get into his vocals.

mktracy and Fender Relic like this.
  14. Slippers-on

Its a great thing they have made these reissues as an alternative to some of the more well known and much more expensive pressings like Music Matters and Analog Production. I've had my feel of those labels and highly enjoy them. I still buy them on 33's only. I've just purchased some Analog Production 45"s lately but only because Acoustic sounds had at a great sale price. But for the most part, the regular pricing of MMJ and Analog Production makes the TP and 80th series a real bargain.
    For some of us....we just simply put a certain amount of money aside in the cookie jar on a weekly basis as the record fund. That way we have a certain amount of records coming in every week or 2.

15. Slippers-on

I really like the early young Grant Green. Down through the 70's he kinda did a lot of acid and funk Jazz and the purist Jazz cats really didnt like it at all. Iliked much of it. He died in 1979. He was born and died in my home town of St. Louis Mo.

I like Baker. He had soul or better known as passion and feeling. It was mostly manifested in his later years. Both he and Grant Green where heroin addicts. (just like most of the great bebop and hard bob Jazz artist of that day) and both seemed to died because of the addiction.

Let me add just to clear things up a bit......Chet was either pushed or fell out a window to his death, but was still using.....GG died of a heart attack which was said to be the result of his using as well.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  16. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

I'll compare this release to my first press Blue Note. It's messed up, but it sounds great.

17. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Wait what? Where exactly? I heard that record dozens of times and never noticed.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  18. StevenTounsand

StevenTounsand Waxidermy Refugee

You can hear it around 4:25 in and again at 16:21. The story I remember reading was that a bottle was on top of a Leslie speaker and the vibrations moved it off the top onto the floor...

19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I just have to rave about Mr. Grant Green. Damn, can that man shred a guitar with a style that just amazes me more and more every time I listen. If he wants to cut loose, play laid back, sprinkle in a wee bit of Soul or get funky with it, he is just up there with the greatest guitarists of all time. I wonder if I took "Nigeria" for another spin last night and cranked it like a Hard Rock album, no, couldn't have been me.

20. RyeB

RyeB Forum Resident

I am interested to hear your thoughts. I have a Japanese Toshiba that sounds great but lacks the depth that tone poet or mmj brings.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  21. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Wow, I know exactly what you're talking about, but I always thought that was some kind of effect on one of the instruments. I'm still not sure that it isn't, both times sound exactly the same.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  22. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

I was in the habit of washing everything before I played it with the standard VPI wash. Recently however, I started using only distilled water to wash brand new records with and not the cleaner. They sound exactly like all the others I've washed previously with the cleaner. Everything seems fine, but I'm far from a technician about this stuff.

Slippers-on, Lucca90 and paulmock like this.
  23. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Tone Poets are a tough call for me, haven’t pulled trigger on 2020. I have most BN’s in some form or another. Maybe 2 or 3 TP’s on cd I don’t have in any fashion.
    It’s good to hear the first issues of 2020 sound and look good. I am envious of those hearing this music for the first time. We are so lucky we have the Joe Harley’s and Don Was’s of the world keeping this music alive.
    Peace

24. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

I just listened to “God Bless The Child" again. I am absolutely, positively sure it is a beer bottle falling. As a professional jazz musician, I can confidently say that I know the difference between the sounds a piano can make, and the sounds a beer bottle can make. That sound is nothing remotely like a piano, and everything like a bottle hitting a hard surface. Also, as someone else stated, it is heard in the left channel with the guitar, not in the left/center, which I’d where the piano is panned. Sorry!

25. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Same here.

paulmock likes this.