'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Received an update for "The Prisoner" from Amazon. Looks like a Saturday delivery.

2. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Just saw my last update, Says arriving tomorrow by 11 PM. This is only the third album I have bought from them in the last year. So I'm thinking most likely Saturday as well. I spoke with the owner of my local store yesterday, and he was forced to close this past Tuesday. I just hope he (and everyone else) can survive through this.

3. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I was wondering if anyone saw a UK link to the pre order Lee Morgan's, The Rumproller?

4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

My copy of "The Prisoner" is out for delivery...a little new Tone Poet magic is just what I need right now. Hope everyone is doing well!

hutlock, Joti Cover, mktracy and 3 others like this.
  5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

"The Prisoner" is no longer out, but safely disinfected and in my house. This is a non gatefold (still a great looking jacket with the awesome liner notes from Herb Wong), and it's cool to see Joe credited as well on the back cover upper left side after the song listings along with Duke, Frank, and Kevin. A nice look indeed!

Really looking forward to this as my old CD of it just got put to the side for good. Nice and cleaned already, vinyl looks perfect, and will be raving back later on after I take it for a nice spin. Good luck to all others that ordered this classic and hope you receive soon.

6. This album is right up my alley. I need to pick it up soon. I am interested to hear some feed back re: pitch stability before buying.

kt66brooklyn, Elofan and scotti like this.
  7. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Will focus much on the sound when I give my feedback on it. Very familiar with it, but have not heard it on vinyl for many a year, only my CD sorry to say.

Joti Cover and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  8. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Mine is in the house and disinfected. I'll clean it this weekend and give it a listen.

scotti likes this.
  9. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Spinning it now and though I'm not yet through the first track, I can say it's another lovely pressing from RTI. Near silent backgrounds, even in the lead-in groove, which I find is pretty typical of their standard black vinyl since they began using a new formula around 2016 or 2017, whenever that was. I believe there was some discussion on it in the Music Matters thread at the time. SRX is great, but this is the next best thing, IMO.

For anyone who hasn't heard the music, this is Herbie's tribute to Dr. King, inspired heavily by the music of Gil Evans.

rxcory, timzigs, mktracy and 3 others like this.
  10. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Now spinning

[​IMG]

Crispy Rob, paulmock, rxcory and 13 others like this.
  11. Gabe Walters

Social distancing listening party!

12. Gabe Walters

Note: give The Prisoner a little more volume than you usually use, if you're a headphone or home office listener like me, and it'll open up nicely.

13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I intend to fully crank this later on today (speakers only, ha!). Love the pics from all! Let us know how the reverb comes through on this version since it will be a bit before I spin it. Right now I'm about to fire up my UHQR stereo of Axis Bold As Love (still have not even opened my mono version) and then my original 1st pressing of "Disraeli" Gears before I head back to the land of Jazz (mostly Tone Poets and MMJ) for the rest of the day. It's cookin' here in Hot 'Lanta today!

Just loving all of the posts, much needed right now!

Crispy Rob, paulmock, mktracy and 3 others like this.
  14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

So I lied a bit. Went back downstairs to resume play, and what was staring me in the face, The Prisoner. Thanks to to the early comments I had to sample just a wee bit before I go back to my scheduled playlist. Put on "I Have A Dream", gave it some nice boost, leaned up against the back of my pool table where my sweet spot starts, and HOLY SMOKES! does this sound ever so sweet. Really killer bottom end and could feel the vibration (but very defined/clean) big time on the back rail where I was leaning. We got another special one here. As @Gabe Walters alluded to, these are now pretty damn close to MMJ quality, if not there already! I have been noticing this on all of the recent releases as of late. You think Joe and Kevin aren't smiling from ear to ear!

Awesome sound stage on this baby, and I have barely listened to it.

Personally, I think the best is yet to come (future releases)...WOW!

15. Gabe Walters

Nice! Glad you're digging it. Just to be clear, I think RTI has used a newer black vinyl formula for all its pressings since late 2016 or thereabouts. I think the Tone Poet series has always been the equal of Music Matters in every respect, as it was designed to be.

16. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

This is one Herbie I’ve never heard- what’s the music on this album like?

I ordered from Blue Note website but have not heard anything about shipping unfortunately...

hutlock, scotti and Dmann201 like this.
  17. It’s some great post bop. If you like the other modal Blue Notes such as Point of Departure, you will probably dig this one.

18. Gabe Walters

In Herbie’s discography, it’s closest to Speak Like a Child.

Dignan2000, hutlock, rxcory and 4 others like this.
  19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well now, what another day of amazing music!

"The Prisoner"...buckled myself locked dead in my sweet spot, for my first entire listen. I commented earlier that we had a special one (but was only after a few minutes of (I Have A Dream). Well I was wrong, we have borderline demo quality with this one.

If you dig Herbie Hancock, get it asap if you can. Stream if you want, but you will have a listening experience that will take you into another dimension. The way the instrumentation sucks you in and just says, how you liking me now, (yeah I thought so!), well let me just keep blowing your mind with my awesomeness!

This is a must have for any Herbie Hancock fan, and for that matter, anyone that just appreciates what the Tone Poet team is bringing to us! One of my favorites yet, and have a feeling I will be saying that release after release...

Hope everyone is doing well!

Crispy Rob, mktracy, paulmock and 9 others like this.
  20. Damnit, you’re breaking me down, Scotti. One more beer and my trigger finger will probably be lubricated enough to hit “place your order” on Amazon.

Yeah, $5 cheaper at the Blue Note store, but, man, 2 day delivery and the ease of returns has Amazon pulling ahead as far as this title goes.

mktracy, RyeB, Glenn coates and 6 others like this.
  21. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Oh man you guys are KILLING ME! I also ordered this from the Blue Note store and now I cannot wait to hear this one!!! Supposed to ship today but I’m betting that I won’t see it until the end of next week. Oh MAN this is going to be torture!

22. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

Yup, me as well. All the great feedback made me add it to my order when I pre-ordered the April releases. Now the wait begins.:goodie:

23. Gabe Walters

I've listened almost exclusively to The Prisoner today. All afternoon and while working tonight.

24. Mugrug12

Whatd’ya think?

GentleSenator and hutlock like this.
  25. Mugrug12

End of next week I can handle, though it does make reading the thread harder. ;)
    With the state of things I was worried it wouldn’t come at all or be weeks. I wonder where the records come from when ordering from BN website. Never done it before.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hutlock likes this.