'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I don't think @Gabe Walters likes it that much. When one has to listen to a new release almost all afternoon and while working into the night, that can't be a good sign...ha!

Stu02, timzigs, Mugrug12 and 4 others like this.
  2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

It’s great.

Mugrug12 and scotti like this.
  3. RyeB

RyeB Forum Resident

Nice collection dude! I'm jealous.

btf1980 likes this.
  4. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Syd Schwartz on Instagram: “Before I knew better, I misinterpreted the cover art as a soundtrack, and the credits noting electric piano and flute gave me pause that…” (my original post on Instagram @jazzandcoffee)

Before I knew better, I misinterpreted the cover art as a soundtrack, and the credits noting electric piano and flute gave me pause that the music was going to lean electric, funkified, proto-fusion; with Starsky & Hutch-Esque car chase vibes. Wrong, wrong, wrong. ‘The Prisoner’ is more like a larger-format transmogrification of Miles Davis Second Great Quintet meets Gil Evans. So to others who perhaps made a similar error in snap-judgment, or who’ve passed over this little-discussed title in the Herbie Hancock discography, I encourage you to open your ears to this great, under-recognized masterpiece. I’m pleased (and grateful) that Don Was, Joe Harley, and the rest of the team at Blue Note saw fit to reissue ‘The Prisoner’ as part of their Tone Poet series. I pre-ordered a copy the moment it was announced and given the state of things, I was surprised and delighted to see it on the doorstep today. ‘The Prisoner’ is a post-bop session from April 1969, showcasing Hancock’s playing and composing chops in the context of a formidable nonet: Joe Henderson (tenor sax/alto flute), Johnny Coles (flugelhorn), Garnett Brown (trombone), Tony Studd (bass trombone), Hubert Laws (flute), Jerome Richardson (bass clarinet), Buster Williams (bass), & Albert Heath (drums). The liner notes and song titles—along with subsequent interviews and articles—allow Mr. Hancock to establish his narrative: "The Prisoner" as a metaphor for the African-American experience, in what Hancock calls “a social statement in music”. The LP is also his dedication to the memory of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. It’s a gripping listen—cerebral, dense, and with an overall tone I’d describe as somewhat solemn, but it’s not gloomy or heavy-hearted despite the gravity of the subject matter. Hancock, Henderson, and Coles are the standout players, though this is truly a team effort. This pressing sounds HUGE with marvelous separation among the instruments, a deep low end, and the vinyl is perfectly quiet. A job well-done on a reissue that hopefully gives this overlooked record another day in court. Apologies for the crap photo...the LP jacket looks great but is rather reflective!

5. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Anyone in Canada get their copy of The Prisoner from amazon.ca?

I haven't received any shipping update. Their site says in stock, but they won't delivery it for weeks....

FREE Delivery by Wednesday, April 29
    Extended delivery time: We’re temporarily prioritizing the delivery of some items in order to serve our customers in need and ensure the safety of our associates. As a result, some delivery times are longer than usual.

6. Robotlove

Robotlove Forum Resident

Items related to COVID are priority but I'm not sure of the exact details.

7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

My copy is due Wednesday. But I won't bet on it with all the Priority shipments. I can wait...

scotti likes this.
  8. Clarets

Clarets Forum Resident

September 25th 2020 was the Tone Poets Series scheduled release date for Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Roots & Herbs (Blue Note, 1961)
    I can't find it anywhere nor any updates. What happened?

9. brimuchmuze

Sept 25th is a long ways off. The whole schedule will likely change due to current events.

10. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Been lurking for months, but had to sign up to respond to this one. I made a sizable Blue Note website order of like 10 Tone Poet/80th records on 12/28 when they had the 30% off deal. I still haven't received my shipment. Stupid me, I selected wait to ship all at once. I reached out for a status update only to be told that they'll get back to me.

Bummer.

scotti, recstar24 and Fender Relic like this.
  11. brimuchmuze

Ya, it seems in Canada amazon.ca will not deliver any music before April 25th (if their dates are accurate and hold)

Meanwhile I can buy a PS4 Game from them and have it shipped next day. Go figure.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  12. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Their dates are not accurate. I received already bunch of stuff not related to Virus. All scheduled for the end of April delivery.

brimuchmuze and Rob Zarzecki like this.
  13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I just heard from Joe and got updates, the 4/24 titles are all on schedule but do not want to say anything else until he gives the ok or posts them somewhere himself for now.

Great to see others talking up "The Prisoner" and hope you Herbie fans and lovers of great music, grab this if you are able at this time.

Hope you all are doing well, they finally put my county in lock down today, thank goodness.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  14. LeaveItTubeBeaver

LeaveItTubeBeaver Forum Resident

I emailed them but unfortunately I haven't heard squat in about 5 days...
    I made the mistake of adding "coolin" with my order and I just want to hear prisoner, preferably before September!

15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Good luck to you. Could you cancel and reorder The Prisoner by itself? Everyone needs to get this one if they can at this time.

16. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I'll be glad when Herbie Hancock's "My Point of View" is released. Then I'll have all of his Blue Note LPs (as a leader) from either Music Matters, Blue Note 80 or Blue Note Tone Poet. IMHO his tenure at Blue Note consistently produced some of the best records issued by the company. :hide:

Crispy Rob, googlymoogly, SJR and 4 others like this.
  17. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I played the original this morning and it is certainly one of my favorites of his great albums as a leader. I’m excited for everyone to be able to spin this record.
    [​IMG]

18. So I broke down the other night and ordered The Prisoner (if my wife asks, I’m blaming @scotti). It wasn’t scheduled to be delivered until tomorrow, but this morning I get a notification that it has been delivered! Hooray! Except - the picture shown as proof of delivery is not my residence:doh:. I look outside and sure enough, nothing there. Now there were other items being delivered that are a bit more essential than the record, so I reached out to Amazon.

Hopefully they can send replacements soon, or whomever got the package is kind enough to bring it by. Considering there are some currently hard to find paper products being delivered as well, I wouldn’t be shocked if the lucky recipient kept the delivery. In that case I sure do hope they have a turntable and are ready to be floored by some amazing jazz.

bootbox, Joti Cover, Dmann201 and 4 others like this.
  19. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to drop in very briefly to offer my profound hope that you all remain healthy and safe during this incredibly stressful time for the world.

Forum member Scotti asked me if I would give a quick update on the status of the remaining titles in the Tone Poet program this year. I agreed, as long as it was a “one and done”.

Here’s what I can tell you at the present time:

April 24

· Lee Morgan – The Cooker (Blue Note, 1957)

· Duke Ellington – Money Jungle (United Artists, 1962)

· Lonnie Smith – All In My Mind (Blue Note, 2017)

The three above will all come out as scheduled.

June 26

· Stanley Turrentine – That’s Where It’s At (Blue Note, 1962)

· Bobby Hutcherson – The Kicker (Blue Note, 1963)

· Jackie McLean – It’s Time (Blue Note, 1964)

· Joe Henderson – The State of the Tenor: Live at the Village Vanguard, Volume 1 (Blue Note, 1985)

The four above have all been mastered, stampers created and the artwork has all been prepared and approved.

July 24

· Horace Silver – Further Explorations (Blue Note, 1958)

· Jimmy Smith – Prayer Meetin’ (Blue Note, 1963)

August 28

· Herbie Hancock – My Point of View (Blue Note, 1963)

· Duke Pearson – The Phantom (Blue Note, 1968)

The above four have all been mastered, stampers have been created and I've received test pressings.

September 25

· Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Roots & Herbs (Blue Note, 1961)

· Bobby Hutcherson – Oblique (Blue Note, 1967)

The above two have been mastered and stampers made. I have received test pressings of Roots & Herbs but not Oblique, which I will not until RTI reopens.

October 23

· Tina Brooks – The Waiting Game (Blue Note, 1961)

· McCoy Tyner – Tender Moments (Blue Note, 1967)

November 20

· Donald Byrd – Byrd In Flight (Blue Note, 1960)

· Lee Morgan – The Rajah (Blue Note, 1966)

The above four have all been mastered (just two weeks ago during a two-day mastering marathon!) and thankfully were all plated the next day, just like I demand, even though RTI was about to shut down.

December 11

· Paul Chambers – Bass On Top (Blue Note, 1957)

· John Scofield & Pat Metheny – I Can See Your House From Here (Blue Note, 1993)

The above two have not yet been mastered but hopefully, we’ll get to these very soon. Kevin and I will do our best to practice social distancing at the console!

Work continues on at Blue Note as we all work from home. And some very exciting new projects are being discussed as well!

Again, my personal best wishes for your collective good health!

Joe

ETSEQ, Swann36, Shawn and 102 others like this.
  20. Clarets

Clarets Forum Resident

Thank you for the update Joe. Very good news especially given current circumstances!

21. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

Joe, thanks for the update and for all the fantastic work you are doing on this series.

22. gr8trak

gr8trak Forum Resident

Thank you Joe! Appreciate you and your work! Stay healthy!!

23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

24. brimuchmuze

Good to know... so has anyone in Canada received The Prisoner from Amazon?

They did send me a shipping estimate today but for end of April.

25. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I listened to this over the weekend and it sounds really stunning. Both the music and the sound quality remind me a bit of Contours -- just so smooth, oblique, and immersive. With each new record, I'm better understanding the sheer genius of Herbie. It will be difficult to get this thing off my turntable.

Crispy Rob, snorker, Stu02 and 7 others like this.