'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Ben Toscano

Ben Toscano Forum Resident

Amazon has Sam Rivers Contours down to $31.57 (I just pre-ordered it), while Wayne Shorter Etc. rose from $26 and change to the full list price $35. I'm curious as to what the pricing structure/timeline of these will look like and when it makes the most sense to order them. Wondering if Etc. will drop in price in the future as these are not limited releases AFAIK. Also, if anyone finds lower prices on these than Amazon I'd love to hear. The free shipping as an Amazon Prime member does make it tough to beat.

Fender Relic and scotti like this.
  2. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

After hearing about all the shipping/condition issues I'm hoping some will filter down to stores where I can go physically inspect the albums. I don't mind if I have to pay a buck or two more, just let my hands and eyes have access to the product and the ears will follow.

3. mike.

mike. Forum Resident

I feel kind of lucky, as the only releases I'm particularly interested are either already released, or being released next month. Etcetera and Contours are the two that stand out to me the most. I'm new to Blue Note stuff though, so I'm sure I'll end up with some more, especially at this price-point.

It does seem like a partial roll of the dice, ordering from Amazon, as others have reported. Hopefully I don't get screwed out of the hype stickers.

Fender Relic and scotti like this.
  4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Spoken like a true collector!!! I think there was an earlier post stating that as long as the vinyl and cover were good, why worry about the the outer sleeve. I surely would when hype stickers are included. I even called out the cool hype sticker with Joe and Kevin's name getting credit on it that I posted last Thursday when I got the Corea...just a nice added touch IMO...

rxcory likes this.
  5. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Why are so many of the outer sleeves missing? Joe made a comment, it might have something to do with promo LP's. I had no idea there was still promo vinyl being distributed.

6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Yes promos still exist, but not like they used to thanks to the world of digital down loads and such. Would think only the elite get audiophile vinyl promos though. I for one love promos, they are pretty cool to own.

7. mike.

mike. Forum Resident

I actually peel off the hype stickers on the MM reissues and stick them back on a proper quality outer sleeve. Helps with identifying which pressing is which and just looks cool.

Bill Why Man, Twinsfan007 and scotti like this.
  8. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

9. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

Cool. I cut the MM hype sticker from the plastic and the slide it underneath my aftermarket poly sleeve. It looks really good.

10. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

AnalogJ likes this.
  11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I am saddened to say that my local shop has informed me that they will not get ETC until next week for me, but still at $27, so I will wait it out...but yours truly has gotten some of that Chick Corea fire burning through his ears and I just ordered the recently released MOV version of his classic album "Tones For Joan's Bones" which I always liked and will get to pick it up later this week (fantastic album). Just a wonderful example of what releasing all of these Tone Poet treasures is doing for my collection. Giving me the desire to dig deeper...

birchstick and Fender Relic like this.
  12. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Track it here: Contours - Blue Note Tone Poet Series [LP] by Sam Rivers (B07MWXTMS9)

13. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

I peel mine off and stick them just inside the the sleeve; must be an OCD trait I guess:agree:

Bill Camarata likes this.
  14. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

When I clean a new record I insert a new Mofio/QRP inner sleeve inside the stock inner sleeve. I cut out the promo stickers and slide them in between the two sleeves. They pretty much stay put that way.

15. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

If I can't peel the stickers off and put them on the new outer, that's what I do.

16. birchstick

birchstick Forum Resident

What outer sleeves do you guys use for your Tone Poet (and similarly sized MM) storage?

17. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Listening to "NHS-NHS"s on my RegaP-6 right now! They are in my living room! Great job Joe Harley! Whisper Quiet pressings....beautiful vinyl. I hope there are many more to come!

rxcory, Ryan_Pretzel and Joti Cover like this.
  18. Josquin des Prez

I use Sleeve City 5mil outer sleeves. $22/50. I have seen nothing that works or looks better.

These work for all gatefolds I have and most tri-folds too (like Europe '72, Charlie Haden's set on Naim records, etc.).

19. Latech

Latech Forum Resident

I've started using the Groove Vinyl Oversized. They are more expensive than others but this 5.5 mil is really high quality. I've found their standard size is only good for non-gatefold only. But I highly recommend their products.

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Where do you find these?

21. Josquin des Prez

You might not realize this but with most browsers you can select the text of Groove Vinyl Oversized, right click and select Search With Google. The website is the first result for me.

GentleSenator likes this.
  22. birchstick

birchstick Forum Resident

Europe '72! Also, these seem like a better deal than @Latech 's sleeves - $22 for 50 = .44 versus $35 for 50 = 0.70. Thanks for the suggestions!

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  23. audiolab1

audiolab1 Forum Resident

In case any Canadians are thinking about pre-ordering Contours, the price on Amazon.ca has dropped to $29.99 CAD!

24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I was hoping the "Oversized" might mean good for box sets.

25. Josquin des Prez

Sleeve City sells outer sleeves for box sets. I have never tried any but as a classical collector, the size of my record boxes are all over the place (i.e. 2 to 16 or so LPs), so I don't even bother trying to cover those.